Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Rock n Roll Hall of Fame

Devo should get in. They predicted New Wave and practically invented the long-form music video. They were way ahead of their time in 1977.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ How could she get in other than as a songwriter? Didn't she have like, one significant album?
    Tapestry is the obvious blockbuster, but she did have two other chart-topping albums (the ones with "Jazzman" and "Sweet Seasons"), another that spent five weeks at #2, and another that made #3.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

^ I had no idea. I thought she was a one album wonder. An album which had great significance among boomers of a certain age, to be sure.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Todd Rundgren on Rock Hall Nomination: ‘I Don’t Care About It’

"It's no secret that I don't care about it. It doesn't matter how many times they nominate me. It's not gonna make me care."

Go Go's first all-female group to hit it big? How's about the all female band Fanny in the 70's?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lurker View Post
    It's a museum. Put 'em all in and stop being so effin' snobby about it.
    That actually makes a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by loshammeros View Post
    Go Go's first all-female group to hit it big? How's about the all female band Fanny in the 70's?
    I don' think they hit it big.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    I don' think they hit it big.
    Same for the Runaways, I guess. Is Suzi Quatro in?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Fanny had a couple of minor hit singles. Their albums couldn't even scrape into the Top 100. The Go-Go's had the second-best selling album of 1982. That's making it big.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ How could she get in other than as a songwriter? Didn't she have like, one significant album?
    It's an interesting question and it all goes back to their flawed induction process. I definitely think of her (and her co-writers) as one of pop's greatest ever songwriters- right up there with anyone. Tapestry is a classic album but it also clearly is the most significant album she ever released. Others were hits, but none of them had anything like as much resonance. In the UK at least, arguably the most lasting hit single she had away from that album was ten years prior- 'It Might As Well Rain Until September'.

I'd say Tapestry is enough on its own, when you consider others like The Sex Pistols are also there for one album, and didn't release that much more beyond that. (And a few 50s/60s inductions are arguably there for one single!) But I do sort of think that when you're in there once, that's enough. Whatever else people have done should be considered as part of their induction.

Imo, Carol King belongs in the HOF. She wrote a lot of hit songs for other artists in the 60s. She's not some one hit wonder.

She is already in there alongside Gerry Goffin as a songwriter- and has been for over thirty years.

TBH I felt the same when Peter Gabriel went in as a solo artist after Genesis, and remember saying so at the time. His solo work is worthy of induction (as is the thus-far-snubbed Collins, though some on here won't agree) but once is enough IMHO.

As far as "big" goes. There was a big difference between Fanny and The Go-Go's. Fanny I think had a couple singles that entered the top 40, but The Go-Go's had three top ten hits (Head Over Heels also went to 10 in Cashbox), and a number one album.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Clapton is in three times.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Well, he's God isn't he? I mean, he would be in three times.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Same for the Runaways, I guess. Is Suzi Quatro in?
    Regarding The Runaways, Joan Jett got in the hall as a solo performer in 2019. My guess is Quatro would not get in. Although she was big in the U.K. she was not that well known in her home country with the exception of her character on Happy Days.

Quote Originally Posted by Meme Prog Mutation View Post
    Does anyone besides me think Kate would be insulted to be nominated to a Rock n Roll Hall of Fame? I mean would anyone on this thread really label her music as Rock n Roll?
    There's a lot of stuff in the R&RHOF that isn't rock and roll. How much of prog is rock and roll, come to that?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    There's a lot of stuff in the R&RHOF that isn't rock and roll. How much of prog is rock and roll, come to that?
    That was my first thought. How would you describe Kate's music?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    That was my first thought. How would you describe Kate's music?

All over the board, according to Wikipedia

Art Pop, Art Rock, Experimental, Pop, Pop Rock, Avant-pop

Had to look them up as I never heard of them. If their name was mentioned as influences or notables in rock music it must have passed me by. Checked out three songs with the most views on YouTube and I can say I have no knowledge of ever hearing this band.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    [/B]
    All over the board, according to Wikipedia

Art Pop, Art Rock, Experimental, Pop, Pop Rock, Avant-pop
    This definition shows her music aligns with RRHF - pop/rock. I'd call it Art Rock.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Had to look them up as I never heard of them. If their name was mentioned as influences or notables in rock music it must have passed me by. Checked out three songs with the most views on YouTube and I can say I have no knowledge of ever hearing this band.
    I had heard the name Fanny, but also had to look them up on Youtube. I have a very vague memory of seeing them on The Midnight Special, but that is about it. None of their songs were familiar to me, but some of it was pretty cool. They don't appear to have ever reached Go Go's level popularity though.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I had heard the name Fanny, but also had to look them up on Youtube. I have a very vague memory of seeing them on The Midnight Special, but that is about it. None of their songs were familiar to me, but some of it was pretty cool. They don't appear to have ever reached Go Go's level popularity though.
    Forget even the comparison to the Go Go's, there were all female bands that were much more successful and more influential than Fanny almost a decade earlier. The Shangri-La's and The Angels come to mind, with not only multiple top 40 hits but Top Ten hits as well, including a #1 smash hit. Plus, The Shangri-La's were perhaps the earliest girl group to have a proto-punk image and real toughness to their persona.

From Wikipedia:

The streetwise image of the Shangri-Las – initially a promotional device for "Leader of the Pack"[24] – contrasted with other "girl groups" of the 1960s, and they were cited as an influence by 1970s punk rock-era acts such as the New York Dolls and Blondie; the latter covered "Out in the Streets" twice. The Go-Go's have been performing "Remember (Walking in the Sand)" live ever since their early punk rock days in Los Angeles clubs.

Shanri-las.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Now that's another thign: he's been inducted as a member of both the Yardbirds and Cream, and for his solo career. They've completely overlooked Derek And The Dominoes, which I think is a mistake. Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs is one of the best blues rock records ever, one of the best double LP's, and probably the best thing Clapton ever did. It's weird to me that they acknowledge his frequently mediocre solo work, but not Derek And The Dominoes. Or maybe the powers to be at The Hall just don't want a murderer among their inductees (Dominoes drummer Jim Gordon later killed his mother, after which he was diagnosed as schizophrenic, and was sentenced to 16 years to life, last I heard he's still incarcerated).

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Regarding The Runaways, Joan Jett got in the hall as a solo performer in 2019.
    Which is weird to me, because virtually every song one associates with her was a cover tune, other than Bad Reputation and I Hate Myself For Loving You.
    My guess is Quatro would not get in. Although she was big in the U.K. she was not that well known in her home country with the exception of her character on Happy Days.
    Suzi Quatro's a big non sequiter in my mind. I remember seeing pictures of her in all this leather biker gear, and I remember seeing her in ads for BC Rich, she even had an album called Rock Hard. But ya know what the one song I've heard by her is? Take a listen:

You gotta be kidding me. The frell is adult contemporary madness?! "Not too hard, not too soft" my ass!

How much of prog is rock and roll, come to that?
    A lot of it really isn't. It didn't "come from the streets" and isn't "blue collar" (or whatever it is Springsteen and those guys are supposed to represent). That's apparently what the critics object to.