Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Rock n Roll Hall of Fame

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    That was a grammy award.

Kate Bush! Yeah!!
    Many people have difficulty differentiating the Grammies and the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame because of the many similarities in the douchery of the two organizations.

Does anyone besides me think Kate would be insulted to be nominated to a Rock n Roll Hall of Fame? I mean would anyone on this thread really label her music as Rock n Roll?
    It's a Good Thing I Don't Have Super Brain Powers Or You'd All Be In A Thousand Little Pieces Right Now (Forever Einstein).

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I don’t think the B-52’s have ever been nominated which is a dirty damned rotten shame.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

"A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Also where the heck is Dave Matthews Band?

Fela Kuti TRANSCENDS The Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall Of Fame.

Maybe they need him, but he certainly doesn’t need THEM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I don’t think the B-52’s have ever been nominated which is a dirty damned rotten shame.
    It's a damn shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Also where the heck is Dave Matthews Band?
    Boring a new generation of college kids to death?

"Everyone is complacent. The only time they ever speak up is to shame you for not being as complacent as them." - Adam Robillard, YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Fela Kuti TRANSCENDS The Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall Of Fame.

Maybe they need him, but he certainly doesn’t need THEM.
    (Lex Warhammer/Andy Warhol mode) Well, yeah. (Warhammer/Warhol mode off) They're probably trying to regain some degree of credibility after having previously inducted the likes of James Taylor and Whitney Houston.

It is a strange 'institution' .

Mountain ?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    What's your logic on Mary J. Blige belonging in the hall of fame, but not Devo, Tina Turner, Jay-Z, Chaka Khan or Fela Kuti?
    Fair question. However, this thread always gets derailed into why this artist and not these other artists which is impossible to resolve due to comparative reasoning and naturally occurring subjectivity. However, I do think it is a good thread to recur due to the laughs it generates (for me, at least).

I am not a fan of her music, although I have enjoyed some of her songs and think she has a good voice. At first I marked her a "no", but then looked deeper at her discography and realized that she wrote (or co-wrote) most of her songs that were popularly received and quite a few that other artists made popular. She was not limited to R&B or "soul" music only, as her songs were received well across a wide spectrum of audiences. Her break through album alone, "My Life", was placed by Rolling Stone at number 279 on their 500 Greatest Albums of All Time, 281 on a 2012 revised list and 126 on a 2020 list. In 2006, the record was included in Time's 100 greatest albums of all-time list.

I realize that being ranked as one of the greatest albums of all time is not the ultimate deciding factor, but in this case I think it helps speak to the artistic merit of her work and the impact her music had on the recording industry over the past 3 decades.

Tina Turner is already in by name. Devo, no way. Jay-Z will get in eventually, but I can't mark him as a "yes". Chaka Khan is quite talented but not at HOF levels. Not familiar enough with Fela Kuti to make a call, so I should mark that as "don't know". Based on my reading of his bio, this looks to be political in nature and may be too far away from Rock to be applicable.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    may be too far away from Rock to be applicable.
    That, apparently, is not a criterion. Just a name.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

What about The 1910 Fruitgum Company or The Ohio Express? (pop pop)

Quote Originally Posted by loshammeros View Post
    What about The 1910 Fruitgum Company or The Ohio Express? (pop pop)
    Seriously, Kasenatz & Katz ought to be in in the non-performer category. Whatever you think of bubblegum music, it is a piece of rock & roll history.
    Treat yourself on Bandcamp Friday: THE HIPCRIME VOCAB enthusiastically available!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com

I'm pretty sure there's a one-hit wonders section of the R&R HOF. Did they just tear down the walls between that section and the others?

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Seriously, Kasenatz & Katz ought to be in in the non-performer category. Whatever you think of bubblegum music, it is a piece of rock & roll history.
    No doubt about it

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I think the nomination of the GoGo's is about, as per wikipedia: The band is the first all-female band that both wrote their own songs and played their own instruments to top the Billboard album charts.[2]

That's a pretty big breakthrough if you think about it, even if kind of shocking that no one managed this before 1980.

EDIT: Just saw that Guitar Geek beat me to this point in post #8.
    Last edited by arturs; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I think the nomination of the GoGo's is about, as per wikipedia: The band is the first all-female band that both wrote their own songs and played their own instruments to top the Billboard album charts.[2]

That's a pretty big breakthrough if you think about it, even if kind of shocking that no one managed this before 1980.
    Not HOF-worthy. Well, maybe this hall.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Boring a new generation of college kids to death?
    The only time I ever saw DMB perform was literally the first time I heard them when I actually was a college kid in the early 90s. They played the auditorium at my school for free and I was completely blown away at how good they were. The next day after classes I headed straight to the CD store across the street from campus and picked up their self released debut CD, Remember Two Things. A couple of years later they were HUGE.

The RoR Hall of Fame is a joke. The only enjoyable moment I've ever gotten out of their circle-jerks is Alex Lifeson's acceptance speech when Rush got inducted.

I feel Devo's version of "Satisfaction" is enough to induct them:

Vastly superior to the Stones. Seen them 3 times live, including during this period, innovative and original. Need to get in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    The only two on the list I'm a fan of is Carole King and Iron Maiden.
    And Carole King is another one from this list who is already in the Hall (as a songwriter, with Gerry Goffin).
    Treat yourself on Bandcamp Friday: THE HIPCRIME VOCAB enthusiastically available!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nodak33 View Post
    I feel Devo's version of "Satisfaction" is enough to induct them:

Vastly superior to the Stones. Seen them 3 times live, including during this period, innovative and original. Need to get in.
    You may need to get it but I DON'T get it.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

^ How could she get in other than as a songwriter? Didn't she have like, one significant album?
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection