Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Featured Album: Golden Earring - Moontan

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post

Guitars are stellar, but a special mention is needed for the vocals too. I believe they had two vocalists, and I don't know who is singing what, but these are perfect, extra-powerful vocals for a rock band.
    Barry Hay was the main vocalist, but George Kooymans shared the lead.

Finally a remaster with both the European and US-tracks + a lot of extra"s: https://outsiderrock.wordpress.com/tag/golden-earring/

I'm VERY pumped about this remaster and I'm hoping they do it for a few of the other albums from that period. The string of hard rock albums before this, in particular, would be wonderful to hear in better-sounding editions. Still though if it had to be one I'm glad it's this one -- there's just something so ineffably cool about this album. Great hooks, great attitude, all kinds of fascinating buildup and atmosphere. Even my wife loves it and she has no interest in prog at all.

I prefer the USA release(I have both). I think Barry Hay's father was English, hence the English with no accent. I saw them open for Aerosmith around1978 and they blew Aerosmith off the stage.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    I prefer the USA release(I have both). I think Barry Hay's father was English, hence the English with no accent. I saw them open for Aerosmith around1978 and they blew Aerosmith off the stage.
    Scottish I read. Mother Dutch. Hay was born in India.

Love this period's (1973 - 1977) Golden Earing albums - Moontan to Live. To the Hilt is certainly another gem there, then Live is one of the best live albums of this era. Have not explored their later albums, after Grab It For A Second, as they seemed to be going more mainstream.
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    I saw them open for Aerosmith around1978 and they blew Aerosmith off the stage.
    I saw them open for Rush in late '78, and they didn't blow them off the stage, but they were still very good.
    15 Cuban minutes
    Can get lost in the fog
    Life's a test, just do your best
    Like a three-legged dog

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Finally a remaster with both the European and US-tracks + a lot of extra"s: https://outsiderrock.wordpress.com/tag/golden-earring/
    The band's archivist is on the Steve Hoffman forum so there is a lot of audiophile talk about this reissue (and related stuff) there if you're curious.
    https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-2021.1105195/

Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    Love this period's (1973 - 1977) Golden Earing albums - Moontan to Live. To the Hilt is certainly another gem there, then Live is one of the best live albums of this era. Have not explored their later albums, after Grab It For A Second, as they seemed to be going more mainstream.
    I think they are great from Eight Miles High to Live.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I saw them open for Rush in late '78, and they didn't blow them off the stage, but they were still very good.
    What tour was that for Moe? Hemispheres? My first was 2112.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    What tour was that for Moe? Hemispheres? My first was 2112.
    Tour Of The Hemispheres. I'm jealous, especially because I think we're the same age, (which means I can blame my parents for not letting me go to concerts sooner.) I did get Side A + of 2112 at that Toledo 78 concert, and likely also Cleveland 1979.
    15 Cuban minutes
    Can get lost in the fog
    Life's a test, just do your best
    Like a three-legged dog

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    I think they are great from Eight Miles High to Live.
    I stand corrected then. Not sure I have all of the titles there (1969 to 1973) but it is certainly something to explore. Hopefully more remasters will be released including the titles before (Eight Miles High, Golden Earring, Seven Tears , Together), as well as the ones after Moontan and up to Live. Of course some extras there would be great
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

I have the Contraband album and The Continuing Story Of Radar Love compilation (- which has 3 tracks off Moontan). Time they were dug and out given a fresh listen
    'I would advise stilts for the quagmires"

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Great record. Where should I move from here?
    I’d say that To the Hilt and Seven Tears are their other back-to-front great albums. Most of their other albums are inconsistent, but with great moments. Side 1 of Switch is fantastic but I can’t remember a single song off of the other side. Contraband strikes me as wheel-spinning mediocrity, except for “Mad Love’s Comin’,” which is flat out one of their greatest songs ever. And so on and so forth. But Moontan is their masterpiece; it’s never been equalled.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    The US version of Moontan features a fairly longer version of Big Tre Blue Sea

On the Wall Of Dolls AKA self-titled of 1970 (another very good album), the track clocvked just over 6 minutes, while on Moontan, it's just over 8 mins. I'd say it's a good trade-off for the two shorter (and skightly weaker) tracks of Suzy Lunacy & Vince Taylor) on the European realases, especialmly if you don't have that Wall album). The downside is that you have a lesser single-sleeved artwork instead of the naked gatefold sleeve.

However,n it's sad that most of the CD version still made a difference instead of compiling all tracks and sleeves.
    All those missed opportunities and archived recordings are in this expanded 2 CD Moontan deluxe version out now, not to be missed by any Golden Earring Fan's collection:

https://www.importcds.com/golden-ear.../8712944663334

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I’d say that To the Hilt and Seven Tears are their other back-to-front great albums. Most of their other albums are inconsistent, but with great moments. Side 1 of Switch is fantastic but I can’t remember a single song off of the other side. Contraband strikes me as wheel-spinning mediocrity, except for “Mad Love’s Comin’,” which is flat out one of their greatest songs ever. And so on and so forth. But Moontan is their masterpiece; it’s never been equalled.
    I happen to think Contraband is the last of their good studio albums, well ahead of Switch & Hilt (which I never thought as all that good, despite being thought of as their "proggier" ones)

A1 Bombay 3:52
    A2 Sueleen 5:40
    A3 Con Man 7:10
    B1 Mad Love's Comin' 7:45
    B2 Fightin' Windmills 4:38

B3 Faded Jeans 5:07
    B4 Time's Up 3:56

the only track I don't have any memories is Faded Jeans, but the middle of the album is near flawless

Off course it helps that a lot of those tracks are featured on the GE Live , since it was recorded on that tour

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    All those missed opportunities and archived recordings are in this expanded 2 CD Moontan deluxe version out now, not to be missed by any Golden Earring Fan's collection:

https://www.importcds.com/golden-ear.../8712944663334
    I won't miss it.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Just received my copy of "Switch". I had never had it in CD format (I must have lost my LP copy) but I played this album to death, love it more than Moontan actually.