Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Albums with more than one lead singer

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Every "Beauty & the Beast" genre doom/goth/metal album.
    So true, so true!
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Golden Earring has always had 2 lead singers.

Comus
    Supertramp

Yeah, I see how a lack of continuity can be a negative. I always felt this way a little when it comes to Tony Banks' Still album, thinking it may have been better with Fish throughout. On the other hand, I think Nik Kershaw does a better job than Fish would have on his songs, and Fish is more suited to his songs.

With Pink Floyd and Camel, the singers can have a similar enough style not to break the continuity. On Camel's debut, the three singers are well suited for the songs they sing on, and I like Doug Ferguson's voice the best of the three I think.

Hopefully with Cirrus Bay, the two vocalists are similar enough in style not to hurt as well. In our case, I like the idea of two harmonizing, more than one harmonizing with oneself due to overdubs.

Moon Safari
    Phideaux
    Kayak
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

Salem Hill...lead vocal duties are shared by Carl Groves, Michael Dearing and Kevin Thomas.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Me, I liked the variety it gave to the album. Havens would not have done the Walsh material near as well as Walsh did, and Walsh couldn't have given the slightly spooky vibe that Havens did. Both were a pleasant surprise to me when I first heard it.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Except for a tangential mention of Steve Walsh ("the Kansas guy" who sang on Please Don't Touch), I haven't seen any mention of Kansas on this thread. I always thought Robbie Steinhardt and Steve Walsh made an excellent duo trading off on lead vocals, especially on Masque. Very complimentary voices.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    It's pretty disturbing on that particular solo album, but not inhabitual for those projects... Yeah, the variety of the singers is quite usettling (and sometimes ill-advised)... But then again the songs theùselves do not make the album a cohesive collection... But then again, I can't ever think of one single Hackett solo album that was very cohesive (even Spectral Mornings is not... there area few clunkers in there), if you'll except these classical or acoustic albums...
    Actually, I disagree quite firmly with every single thing you've said there :-)
    Hackett's acoustic or so-called 'classical' albums tend to turn me off - they're patchy at best, and that's being kind...
    Whereas 'Please Don't Touch' is just perfect the way it is, including the Steve Walsh/Richie Havens/Randy Crawford vocals in different songs. On the whole, I reckon it's probably Hackett's finest and most consistent album, whereas some with just one singer (i.e. him!) can be more variable ('Til We Have Faces', for instance).

However, I do agree that Alan Parsons [Project or otherwise] can be uneven with singers - especially after the first few albums (which were more consistent). Some of the singers he's used since 'On Air' haven't been much to my liking, but maybe that's something to do with the material being more miss than hit on his last couple of albums.

As for albums with more than one lead singer, I can't think of any better in recent years than Moon Safari's 'Lovers' End'. Also, their vocal harmonies in general are way beyond most of our favourite prog bands.

When it comes to Queen, quite a few my favourite 'deep cuts' are those with Brian May singing lead vocals - 'Sail away sweet sister', '39', 'Sleeping on the sidewalk', and the whole first verse of 'Who wants to live forever'.

Srawbs
    Northern Pikes

Grand Funk, Supertramp, 10cc, Hollies, Pentangle, Uriah Heep, Mothers Of Invention

The Flower Kings do OK for me

One that didn't work back in the day was the Scorpions during the Uli Roth days. Roth's vocals were God awful IMO

In the liner notes to the Best of Spooky Tooth, John McDermott talks about Chris Blackwell suggesting that Gary Wright join the members of Art (formerly the V.I.P.'s) to form a new band. "The combined vocals of (Mike) Harrison and Wright, Blackwell reasoned, would create a novel, Anglo-American version of the Righteous Brothers." That had never occurred to me before even though I'd been a Spooky Tooth fan since '69.

Banned
    Anyone mentioned The Who??
    Both Entwistle and Townsend sang tunes... No wonder Daltrey started plucking guitars to find something to do on stage (Gillan was the main/only singer, but resorted to playing congas during the elongated solo/jams)....

What did Mercury do on stage when he wasn't lead signing on the songs mentioned??

But in general, I don't have a problem with groups with more than one lead singer....

My problem lies more to do with guest singers (for ex: I'd have preferred Floyd not top invite Harper on Have a Cigar, and sung it themselves (they had to in concert, right)
    The only songs that Queen did live that Freddie didn't sing on were I'm In Love With My Car and Rock It(Prime Jive). For songs like Modern Times Rock And Roll(except for the BBC version) and '39, Freddie sang the lead vocals live.

My problem lies more to do with guest singers (for ex: I'd have preferred Floyd not top invite Harper on Have a Cigar, and sung it themselves (they had to in concert, right)
    heh... aside from the fact that this topic has generated a good conversation, perhaps *that* is the point I was getting at in my initial post. I didnt like the singers Hackett chose for PDT and do not like "guest" singers in general.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Anyone mentioned The Who??
    Both Entwistle and Townsend sang tunes... No wonder Daltrey started plucking guitars to find something to do on stage (Gillan was the main/only singer, but resorted to playing congas during the elongated solo/jams)....

What did Mercury do on stage when he wasn't lead signing on the songs mentioned??
    Well, the question was already answered, but Queen didn't do very many of the songs that either Roger or Brian sang lead on, in concert. On In Love With My Car, Freddie played piano. Not sure about Rock It (Prime Jive).

As for Daltrey, actually, the one song that I remember seeing him play rhythm guitar on that he wasn't singing lead on is Eminence Front. I think the other times I've seen him with a guitar in his hands (eg It's Hard, Love's Not For Keeping, etc) he was still singing lead vocals.

The other Entwistle and Townshend sung songs, at least in the video footage I've seen, Roger tended to just sort of stand back by the drummer riser, and wait for the chorus bits to come up so he could sing back up. And in the case of Bell Boy and Cousin Kevin, I think Daltrey stood someplace else, perhaps to avoid looking like he was trying to "hog the spotlight" or whatever.

Edit: Oh and on Drowned (which he sang on the record, but at some point, Townshend starting singing in concert), Daltrey would play harmonica.

And talking about Deep Purple, I guess it must have been one of the Coverdale era tours, but I remember Bev Bevan noting that when ELO shared the bill with Deep Purple, "the singer" (I don't think he identified who it was) would leave the stage during the instrumental bits and play cards with his girlfriend, until it was time for him to resume singing.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 03-12-2013 at 05:21 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Well, the question was already answered, but Queen didn't do very many of the songs that either Roger or Brian sang lead on, in concert. On In Love With My Car, Freddie played piano. Not sure about Rock It (Prime Jive).

As for Daltrey, actually, the one song that I remember seeing him play rhythm guitar on that he wasn't singing lead on is Eminence Front. I think the other times I've seen him with a guitar in his hands (eg It's Hard, Love's Not For Keeping, etc) he was still singing lead vocals.

The other Entwistle and Townshend sung songs, at least in the video footage I've seen, Roger tended to just sort of stand back by the drummer riser, and wait for the chorus bits to come up so he could sing back up. And in the case of Bell Boy and Cousin Kevin, I think Daltrey stood someplace else, perhaps to avoid looking like he was trying to "hog the spotlight" or whatever.

And talking about Deep Purple, I guess it must have been one of the Coverdale era tours, but I remember Bev Bevan noting that when ELO shared the bill with Deep Purple, "the singer" (I don't think he identified who it was) would leave the stage during the instrumental bits and play cards with his girlfriend, until it was time for him to resume singing.
    It was probably during the Coverdale era, because I remember reading in the liner notes to ELO's remastered Face The Music they ELO choose to record at Musicland Studios in Munich, because their recent tour mates in Deep Purple had just recorded Stormbringer here.

Quote Originally Posted by Burley Wright View Post
    "The combined vocals of (Mike) Harrison and Wright, Blackwell reasoned, would create a novel, Anglo-American version of the Righteous Brothers." That had never occurred to me before even though I'd been a Spooky Tooth fan since '69.
    And I'm obviously not much of a fan, although I did once see Gary Wright in concert, because I never realized he was American.

Barclay James Harvest
    Someone mentioned Supertramp, but I wanted to add I think they were the classic example - pretty much equal billing, different styles, yin and yang.

Nursery Crime, Selling England By the Pound

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    Nursery Crime, Selling England By the Pound
    I thought this thread was about bands with more than one main singer, a singer that sang as much as the main guy? Phil only sang lead on one song each from the albums, while The Beatles, Beach Boys, Queen, Styx, and The Who split vocal duties evenly.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I was listening to Please Dont Touch and thought it would have been better with just one lead singer. Then I thought of other albums with different lead singers on different tunes and think that they usually suffer for it. Lack of continuity... other thoughts?

Yep. Please don't touch is all over the place and spreads itself too thin. TOo many singers and too many different styles and sounds. This coming from someone who really likes eclectic albums but we all have to draw the line somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    Grand Funk, Supertramp, 10cc, Hollies, Pentangle, Uriah Heep, Mothers Of Invention
    I would add the Moody Blues to that list. Some WHO albums feature both Townsend and Daltry singing lead too. Also Pink Floyd. I'm sure there are many examples. The Alan Parson's Project also feature more than one singer on some of their albums. Steely Dan on their first album too and maybe some others by them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I would add the Moody Blues to that list. Some WHO albums feature both Townsend and Daltry singing lead too. Also Pink Floyd. I'm sure there are many examples. The Alan Parson's Project also feature more than one singer on some of their albums. Steely Dan on their first album too and maybe some others by them.
    All but Steely Dan have already been mentioned.