Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Transatlantic - The Absolute Universe

online from time to time Czyszy's Avatar
    I like some (but not all) of the changes Neal Morse made to the album on the Breath Of Life edition (like the chorus in Reaching for the Sky, the addition of Can You Feel It et. al.) but I prefer the way the Forevermore edition flows and the extra songs on it are really amazing. The Sun Comes Up Today is incredible. So in the end, I find myself choosing to listen to Forevermore way more often than the Breath of Life version.

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    I like some (but not all) of the changes Neal Morse made to the album on the Breath Of Life edition (like the chorus in Reaching for the Sky, the addition of Can You Feel It et. al.) but I prefer the way the Forevermore edition flows and the extra songs on it are really amazing. The Sun Comes Up Today is incredible. So in the end, I find myself choosing to listen to Forevermore way more often than the Breath of Life version.
    Agree - I've probably posted this earlier but the best way to listen to it (for me) is to create my own version combining what I think are the best takes. And surprisingly the transitions from song to song all work PERFECTLY! No editing required. I just added them to playlists and it was done.

It's best to also have The Ultimate Edition (blu-ray) audio rip to do it but it's not necessary.

TUE = The Ultimate Edition
    TBoL = The Breath of Life
    FM = Forevermore

1. Overture 9:29 (TUE) (this is a minute longer than the FM version and contains all the themes, if you don't have this use FM version)
    2. Reaching for the Sky 5:41 (TBoL)
    3. Higher Than the Morning 4:32 (TBoL)
    4. The Darkness in the Light 5:43 (TBoL)
    5. Take Now My Soul 3:48 (TUE) (TUE version works best as it has the smoothest transition to Bully, if you don't have this use TBoL version)
    6. Bully 2:11 (FM)
    7. Rainbow Sky 3:19 (FM)
    8. Looking for the Light 4:00 (FM)
    9. The World We Used To Know 9:22 (FM)
    10. The Sun Comes Up Today 5:39 (FM)
    11. Love Made a Way (Prelude) 1:26 (FM)
    12. Owl Howl 7:06 (FM)
    13. Solitude 5:41 (FM)
    14. Belong 2:49 (FM)
    15. Lonesome Rebel 2:54 (FM)
    16. Can You Feel It 3:17 (TBoL)
    17. Looking for the Light (Reprise) 5:13 (FM)
    18. The Greatest Story Never Ends 2:58 (TBoL)
    19. Love Made a Way 9:16 (TBoL)

Anyone else done this? what's cool about having the different versions is we can all be the producer and construct our own!

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    Agree - I've probably posted this earlier but the best way to listen to it (for me) is to create my own version combining what I think are the best takes. And surprisingly the transitions from song to song all work PERFECTLY! No editing required. I just added them to playlists and it was done.

It's best to also have The Ultimate Edition (blu-ray) audio rip to do it but it's not necessary.

TUE = The Ultimate Edition
    TBoL = The Breath of Life
    FM = Forevermore

1. Overture 9:29 (TUE) (this is a minute longer than the FM version and contains all the themes, if you don't have this use FM version)
    2. Reaching for the Sky 5:41 (TBoL)
    3. Higher Than the Morning 4:32 (TBoL)
    4. The Darkness in the Light 5:43 (TBoL)
    5. Take Now My Soul 3:48 (TUE) (TUE version works best as it has the smoothest transition to Bully, if you don't have this use TBoL version)
    6. Bully 2:11 (FM)
    7. Rainbow Sky 3:19 (FM)
    8. Looking for the Light 4:00 (FM)
    9. The World We Used To Know 9:22 (FM)
    10. The Sun Comes Up Today 5:39 (FM)
    11. Love Made a Way (Prelude) 1:26 (FM)
    12. Owl Howl 7:06 (FM)
    13. Solitude 5:41 (FM)
    14. Belong 2:49 (FM)
    15. Lonesome Rebel 2:54 (FM)
    16. Can You Feel It 3:17 (TBoL)
    17. Looking for the Light (Reprise) 5:13 (FM)
    18. The Greatest Story Never Ends 2:58 (TBoL)
    19. Love Made a Way 9:16 (TBoL)

Anyone else done this? what's cool about having the different versions is we can all be the producer and construct our own!
    That is pretty cool! I hadn't thought of doing that, but I may give it a try now.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    You’ll ALL be glad to hear I bought a ticket to the Montclair, NJ show! About $140 with fees, but it’s like 8th row center-orchestra, so not insane.

So, am I wrong, or are there songs that aren’t on the Ultimate edition? If so, that’s weird. Not very ultimate. And there are some differences between the versions of songs that are on the different versions of the album? That’s a good thing!

That weird, nonsense voice at the beginning of Belong is pretty annoying. I assume it's supposed to be some kind of alien? Cookiepuss? I guess I'm not sure, but it's very irritating. Has anyone read or heard in an interview where they explained what it's supposed to be?

online from time to time Czyszy's Avatar
    I think it's another one of those random snippets Roine Stolt added in while he was super high on weed. ;p

I think it's another one of those random snippets Roine Stolt added in while he was super high on weed. ;p
    As he was eating a whole Cookie Puss cake!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    That weird, nonsense voice at the beginning of Belong is pretty annoying. I assume it's supposed to be some kind of alien? Cookiepuss? I guess I'm not sure, but it's very irritating. Has anyone read or heard in an interview where they explained what it's supposed to be?
    I don't really find it irritating at all, but I think it may have been mentioned earlier in this thread? Roine did explain it in an interview, but I doubt I'd be able to find it. Don't really remember what he said though.
    <sig out of order>

You’ll ALL be glad to hear I bought a ticket to the Montclair, NJ show! About $140 with fees, but it’s like 8th row center-orchestra, so not insane.

So, am I wrong, or are there songs that aren’t on the Ultimate edition? If so, that’s weird. Not very ultimate. And there are some differences between the versions of songs that are on the different versions of the album? That’s a good thing!
    We're in the aisle seats of row G, wear a corsage...

Ember
    The Keswick appears to be a maybe third sold, if that. I have a center-section seat down front, but I'm still debating using it. If I do, I may sit in back somewhere among the empty seats. I just can't risk getting sick.
    "I have not yet begun to procrastinate."

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I don't really find it irritating at all, but I think it may have been mentioned earlier in this thread? Roine did explain it in an interview, but I doubt I'd be able to find it. Don't really remember what he said though.
    Post 313 has the quote from Roine on it. Roine also used this same clip at the beginning of "House of Cards Reprise" on Waiting for Miracles. At the very beginning, it isn't as loud but it is the exact same.

@JKL2000 - Yes very glad you got tickets! Hope you enjoy it and I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts about it afterward.

Banned
    Laser CD has the Blu-ray. Box set sold out. Other versions available.

Banned
    Great cause, I bought the Blu-ray by itself, and the Forevermore CD. Does the Blu-ray have the Breathe of life music on it?

Banned
    Scott Medina from Sonic Perspectives said the album matches the quality of The Whirlwind and while he admitted those who prefer epic songs could feel "less enthusiastic", he said "there's no denying that this sounds just like what most people imagine when they think 'Transatlantic'. About the different versions, he commented that Forevermore "has more of Stolt" and "carries a bit more shadow and mystery", while The Breath of Life feels "a little more direct and accessible" and has been injected with "a little more light and love" by Morse. He praised all musicians' performances.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Whoops, forgot I'd already asked that! Thanks to SRS for posting Roine's answer to that. Makes sense, sort of.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    We're leaving next Monday for Montreal.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    We're leaving next Monday for Montreal.
    I'm going to Lodi tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    Post 313 has the quote from Roine on it. Roine also used this same clip at the beginning of "House of Cards Reprise" on Waiting for Miracles. At the very beginning, it isn't as loud but it is the exact same.
    Thanks for finding that! To me it functions a bit like the sounds at the beginning of 3rd World Electric's Children Of The Future.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I agree that the extended version is very enjoyable. I like Roine's playing and prefer Neal's vocals but like both. I have been getting the most mileage out of disc 2.
    Are you going to the TA MTL concert next week Greg? Sadly, I can't make it due to multiple reasons but hope to read some reviews and comments here.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Scott Medina from Sonic Perspectives said the album matches the quality of The Whirlwind and while he admitted those who prefer epic songs could feel "less enthusiastic", he said "there's no denying that this sounds just like what most people imagine when they think 'Transatlantic'. About the different versions, he commented that Forevermore "has more of Stolt" and "carries a bit more shadow and mystery", while The Breath of Life feels "a little more direct and accessible" and has been injected with "a little more light and love" by Morse. He praised all musicians' performances.
    Scott Medina know what he's talking about!!! And he will be my guest on The Prog Corner this weekend as we discuss the greatest band of them all: YES!!!
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Scott Medina know what he's talking about!!! And he will be my guest on The Prog Corner this weekend as we discuss the greatest band of them all: YES!!!

Correct!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    Are you going to the TA MTL concert next week Greg? Sadly, I can't make it due to multiple reasons but hope to read some reviews and comments here.
    Yeah, I regret I'm not going to be able to make it. I saw TA in MTL once, and it was decent. I also have 4 concerts lined up - Pineapple Thief, Martin Barre, a Supertramp Cover band (all in Ottawa/Hull) and Porcupine Tree in Lavel (MTL). Are any of these shows?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I'm planning to be at the Keswick and NJ shows, have great seats for both. I haven't listened to the album(s) nearly enough yet to really absorb either version, so I'll be going in somewhat cold. Still looking forward to the shows, since they are always entertaining.

I may have missed this, but will they have an extra player in the live shows, like they did in past tours with Daniel G or Ted Leonard?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    I'm planning to be at the Keswick and NJ shows, have great seats for both. I haven't listened to the album(s) nearly enough yet to really absorb either version, so I'll be going in somewhat cold. Still looking forward to the shows, since they are always entertaining.

I may have missed this, but will they have an extra player in the live shows, like they did in past tours with Daniel G or Ted Leonard?
    Gerhard, are you going to the TA show in Montclair on Saturday? Or the other NJ show? I’ll be at Montclair.

Gerhard, are you going to the TA show in Montclair on Saturday? Or the other NJ show? I’ll be at Montclair.
    I'll be in Montclair Sat night (I don't see any other NJ show), with Richard Schwarz. Hope to see you there, Jed.