Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Transatlantic - The Absolute Universe

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    They should use this quotation in the advertising!
    Somehow, you attributed my quote to Poisoned Youth. Wake me when you correct it.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    Portnoy sure has a LOT of extra time in his hands - being the normally busy guy he is, he has caught up with Transatlantic, Flying Colors, Liquid tension Experiment and even on John Petrucci's Terminal Velocity album.
    May be his next one will be a new Winery Dogs album?
    Not being able to tour during the past year has allowed him the extra time apparently.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    That's pretty much sums up my feelings. I guess I'm burnt out on TA at this point. Although it is fun comparing both versions, I doubt either of them will have a lot of staying power for me.
    Yes, me too. I'm listening to the long version. There's a lot of it and it sounds very Transatlantic-y. Colour me a bit unimpressed. It doesn't have the pizzazz of the earlier albums.

(But I've not given it time to grow yet.)

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Yes, me too. I'm listening to the long version. There's a lot of it and it sounds very Transatlantic-y. Colour me a bit unimpressed. It doesn't have the pizzazz of the earlier albums.

(But I've not given it time to grow yet.)

Henry
    Yet, our somewhat negative comments should be seen as first impressions, not definitive statements, considering the amount of music to absorb.

I had the exact same reaction to Kaleidoscope but I still return to it occasionnally and enjoy it. I don't feel this happening this time around but it's too early to tell.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I’m definitely quite happy with it. I’ll repeat my recommendation for the extended version being the way to go for two reasons: 1. The natural break in the middle between the two halves that I mentioned before makes for an easier listen despite the longer overall running time. 2. It’s not really an “extended” version. It’s the original conception of the album that they all worked on together. The changes that resulted in the abridged version came later after the fact.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

For the record: I love it. Both of them. A lot.

Comfort Prog is my thing, I guess. It's like a nice warm blanket...
    The Prog Corner

The Sun Comes Up Today is a bit like Utopia in some parts.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    My earlier (somewhat tongue in cheek) comments were directed at a personal dislike of mine in general; that is, the ongoing complaints and criticisms relative to the length of tracks on various releases, not just this one. I wasn't directing it at you specifically, just expressing my aversion to this whole "abridged" version movement in general.
    Fair enough. If I overreacted, I apologize.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    For the record: I love it. Both of them. A lot.

Comfort Prog is my thing, I guess. It's like a nice warm blanket...
    Wifey calls it ear candy.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Wifey calls it ear candy.
    Nothing wrong with some ear candy. I indulge in it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    It’s all good. To your point, I had an idea of what to expect from Tame Impala as well, but the new album exceeded my expectations. As did the last Muse album and the last Aka Moon album. That said, I am so familiar with Morse and Stolt that I don’t really “expect” anything, but just hope to be a pleasantly surprised.

I do not dislike the new TA album. I have just heard it before. There are moments I really like. However I have “heard it before “ so much that I can predict it to the point where it feels like a chore to get through it.

But I will listen to whatever they put out. While Islands didn’t stand out to me, I liked it okay. But I really enjoyed Waiting for Miracles. And when that happens, my hope is renewed. The last Morse album I spin regularly is the first NMB album. So, I’m waiting for the next one to hit. Hope this provides some insight.
    Actually, it was the same for me too regarding the new Tame Impala album. He had already released quite a few singles, and yet somehow the rest of the album was even better than I expected. So I get what you're saying.

I didn't mean to imply that you dislike the new TA, so I could have worded that better probably. My comment there was about some others who found it boring or had little interest in it. I wanted to make sure I didn't come across as dismissing their opinions as any less valid, or labeling them as "haters".

Regarding the new TFK, while I liked Waiting for Miracles, I actually enjoyed Islands quite a lot more for some reason. I'm not even sure why exactly.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Somehow, you attributed my quote to Poisoned Youth. Wake me when you correct it.
    Psst! Wake up!!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    My order shipped today. Transatlantic is still an autobuy for me. I shouldn't prejudge but I'm not fully optimistic about this release will blow me away. The band tends to have a formula they follow. As an aside, Waiting for a Mircale and Islands is pleasant but doesn't really draw me in. So, I'm hoping to get surprised and really like the new Transatlantic release.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

If you want to put things in perspective Spock’s Beard put out The Light, which introduced most of us to Neal Morse, in 1995 which was 26 years ago. In Yes terms, 26 years is how long it took to get from The Yes Album to Open Your Eyes. Heck, the Transatlantic debut is 21 years old too. So really it’s kind of impressive, to me anyway, that they can deliver an album as good as The Absolute Universe. Morse and Roine Stolt kinda get written off a retro lightweights by some folks, but man, those guys have made a lot of music since the nineties and they are still doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    If you want to put things in perspective Spock’s Beard put out The Light, which introduced most of us to Neal Morse, in 1995 which was 26 years ago.
    I think Neal's (and Roine's) output has suffered more from quantity than quality. I feel you could drop a new fan into their output anywhere and that person would enjoy what they heard. But for some folks the same style year after year gets tiring.

I'm not one of those folks, though. I feel the new TA album is a perfect blend of Neal's melodies and Roine's spacy vibe. I'm actually even hearing a little of Stolt's "darkness" creeping into Morse's keyboard tones and chords.

My only complaint thus far, while navigating the Breath of Life version, is that I'm still not sold on Mike's vocals. That said, they have improved.

If you want to put things in perspective Spock’s Beard put out The Light, which introduced most of us to Neal Morse, in 1995 which was 26 years ago. In Yes terms, 26 years is how long it took to get from The Yes Album to Open Your Eyes. Heck, the Transatlantic debut is 21 years old too. So really it’s kind of impressive, to me anyway, that they can deliver an album as good as The Absolute Universe. Morse and Roine Stolt kinda get written off a retro lightweights by some folks, but man, those guys have made a lot of music since the nineties and they are still doing it.
    Good point. So The Absolute Universe is Transatlantic's Big Generator, THRAK or We Can't Dance? I guess it's most like THRAK: competent, but fails to do any reinvention.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by julioscissors View Post
    I think Neal's (and Roine's) output has suffered more from quantity than quality. I feel you could drop a new fan into their output anywhere and that person would enjoy what they heard. But for some folks the same style year after year gets tiring.

I'm not one of those folks, though. I feel the new TA album is a perfect blend of Neal's melodies and Roine's spacy vibe. I'm actually even hearing a little of Stolt's "darkness" creeping into Morse's keyboard tones and chords.

My only complaint thus far, while navigating the Breath of Life version, is that I'm still not sold on Mike's vocals. That said, they have improved.
    I think there will probably be time for people to catch their breath and get a full perspective on Stolt’s body of work after he stops. It’s really crazy to think about how he started in the 70s with Kaipa. My thing with Morse is that I can’t really deal with the explicitly Christian themed lyrics at all, even if I like the music, so I stopped buying his solo records. That means the only new Neal Morse I get is when he does a Transatlantic or Flying Colors album, which really isn’t that often.

Good point. So The Absolute Universe is Transatlantic's Big Generator, THRAK or We Can't Dance? I guess it's most like THRAK: competent, but fails to do any reinvention.

Henry
    To me the biggest issue with THRAK is that the VROOM EP has more juice. The album sounds kind of stiff and clinical in comparison. Transatlantic isn’t really a band for reinvention. Neal Morse isn’t likely going to go through a heavy “Trent Reznor” phase, discover EDM or whatever. He’s no Bowie and he’s largely still working with the same basic sonic palette that was established on the early Spock’s Beard albums. So for me a new Transatlantic record always comes down to the earworm factor. Does it deliver the tunes or not? So far I’m good with The Absolute Universe.

I think there will probably be time for people to catch their breath and get a full perspective on Stolt’s body of work after he stops. It’s really crazy to think about how he started in the 70s with Kaipa. My thing with Morse is that I can’t really deal with the explicitly Christian themed lyrics at all, even if I like the music, so I stopped buying his solo records. That means the only new Neal Morse I get is when he does a Transatlantic or Flying Colors album, which really isn’t that often.
    I stopped listening to his solo records for the same reasons. If you like his music, you shouldn't miss out on The Neal Morse Band. The lyrics are less overtly Christian, similar to the ones he writes for Transatlantic.

I really enjoyed the first two Transatlantic albums, but the next two I just never connected with at all, even though they were on the old autobuy list. I filed them and have never really found the time to go back again. I must admit to a little trepidation when I heard about the double release shenanigans for this one, so I’m doing my initial listening on Spotify before deciding whether and which way to jump.

My first impressions are pretty favourable, I must be in the right mood for classic prog sounds played with a certain verve. In particular I am enjoying the bass playing, but there are hooks aplenty throughout. I’m still no closer to deciding on format, there’s a lot to assimilate.

Banned

Henry
    Perhaps more like ELP's "In The Hot Seat"?
    (just kidding).

To each his (or her) own but you are missing a lot of great music. Being a Christian I don't understand the problem as I love Venom and many other "sinful" acts. I think I enjoy artists with passion - irrespective of exactly what said artist is passionate about. Actionable and demonstrable passion is Rule #1 for me. Robert Fripp, Christian Vander, Jon Anderson, Neal Morse. Passion. (And talent.)
    The Prog Corner

I stopped listening to his solo records for the same reasons. If you like his music, you shouldn't miss out on The Neal Morse Band. The lyrics are less overtly Christian, similar to the ones he writes for Transatlantic.
    I was going to post the same thing. The "Neal Morse Band" albums are much less preachy and well worth checking out if you like Morse at all. As for the new Transatlantic I am hoping it is in my mailbox when I get home from Florida tomorrow, but have not heard it yet.

I’ll try them. Looks like Radiant has lossless downloads for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    To each his (or her) own but you are missing a lot of great music. Being a Christian I don't understand the problem as I love Venom and many other "sinful" acts. I think I enjoy artists with passion - irrespective of exactly what said artist is passionate about. Actionable and demonstrable passion is Rule #1 for me. Robert Fripp, Christian Vander, Jon Anderson, Neal Morse. Passion. (And talent.)
    I get that and ultimately it’s really not Neal Morse’s problem. It’s my problem. I’ve just had some experiences that left me with a lot of anger and hostility towards organized religion and the Christian lyrics trigger stuff for me. Who knows, maybe I’ll come around on it one day.