Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rush: Alex Lifeson & Geddy Lee are eager to make new music together

Rush: Alex Lifeson & Geddy Lee are eager to make new music together

Alex Lifeson has confirmed that he and Rush bandmate Geddy Lee have discussed working on new music together. "After we finished the last [Rush] tour in 2015, I started just writing on my own and doing some stuff," Lifeson explained in an interview with Make Weird Music.

"Geddy was working on his book. We talked about getting together and doing some stuff together, but it got very, very busy for him, even after he finished writing the book — taking it on the road. So we never got a chance to sit down and start working or just having some fun together.”

Read More Here:
    https://ultimateclassicrock.com/alex...edium=referral

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    That's before Neil died. We will see what happens now.

The interview did seem hopeful that those two would get together in the near-ish future:

"We still talk about it and I'm sure we will [get together]. But now with the Pandemic it's kind of wrecked things for a bit. We're both eager to get back together and kind of get back into that thing that we've done since we were 14 years old that we love to do, and we work really, really well together. So we'll see what happens with that ... I go back and forth - I'm kind of a lazy person, and the prospect of doing a record after doing Victor and spending a year on it and knowing what it took... I don't know if I'm in a big hurry to go through that kind of thing again. The advantage of working on my own, in my own place, is that I can work whenever I want to. And it takes the pressure off a big release. Those days of sort of over anyways. I would just love to share some of my music if anyone's interested in hearing it, at some point in the future..."
    Last edited by Nearfest2; 02-04-2021 at 08:54 AM.
    Chad

Banned
    Makes me wonder what sound would be created with those two working together. Would it be merely an expansion of what they did with Neil in the Rush recordings or perhaps it could take a new, different direction. Perhaps it would be a blend of what we heard in Geddy's solo work with the solo effort Alex did with "Victor". I never heard anything from the "Victor" album but I read where it received a Juno award nomination for best new group.

The key question is who would handle the drums; Mat Cameron perhaps? Or maybe Blake Manning? A tough role to fill indeed.

I would like nothing more than to see these two make new music. In an interview from a few years ago, Geddy said that he knows at some point the studio is coming to whisper to him and he'll have to "feed the beast."
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    That's before Neil died. We will see what happens now.

The interview did seem hopeful that those two would get together in the near-ish future:

"We still talk about it and I'm sure we will [get together]. But now with the Pandemic it's kind of wrecked things for a bit. We're both eager to get back together and kind of get back into that thing that we've done since we were 14 years old that we love to do, and we work really, really well together. So we'll see what happens with that ... I go back and forth - I'm kind of a lazy person, and the prospect of doing a record after doing Victor and spending a year on it and knowing what it took... I don't know if I'm in a big hurry to go through that kind of thing again. The advantage of working on my own, in my own place, is that I can work whenever I want to. And it takes the pressure off a big release. Those days of sort of over anyways. I would just love to share some of my music if anyone's interested in hearing it, at some point in the future..."
    Ummm...YES!!! Victor was fucking genius.

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Makes me wonder what sound would be created with those two working together. Would it be merely an expansion of what they did with Neil in the Rush recordings or perhaps it could take a new, different direction. Perhaps it would be a blend of what we heard in Geddy's solo work with the solo effort Alex did with "Victor". I never heard anything from the "Victor" album but I read where it received a Juno award nomination for best new group.

The key question is who would handle the drums; Mat Cameron perhaps? Or maybe Blake Manning? A tough role to fill indeed.
    Minnemann seeing how he's collaborated with Lifeson a bunch?

I watched the Mwm interview in full, maybe I missed something but he quite clearly said he did not want to tour again. He was pretty vague or non committal about any future plans. As usual I think a great amount of wishful thinking has been added after the event.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I watched the Mwm interview in full, maybe I missed something but he quite clearly said he did not want to tour again.
    Very true. He did say that.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    He was pretty vague or non committal about any future plans. As usual I think a great amount of wishful thinking has been added after the event.
    Well, the quote I posted above was from the interview. It sounds to me like he and Geddy will make music together. The form it takes and if/when it's released is another story.
    Chad

If anyone can get Alex motivated to write and record, it would be Geddy. Here's hoping that we live long enough to hear it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I think it would be wonderful if Lee and Lifeson made more music together in the future. The possibilities are much broader than any limitations or boxes they might place themselves within or than we as fans could imagine. Could be anything from duo performances between the two of them to ensembles of any size up to and including with orchestra. Who knows? But as far as an outsider is able to guess, I'm fairly certain of two things: It won't be called 'Rush', and it will be of the highest quality. Here's hoping it happens!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Let the chips fall where they may. Agreed that "Rush" is over - it was a camaraderie like the Beatles where if one of them goes, the unit is gone. We'll see if Lee and Lifeson have the energy to pursue a project. It wouldn't be hard to imagine that the lure of just spending retirement doing one-off guest stints or staring at beautiful Canadian scenery might be fairly alluring after the punishing album-tour-album schedule they had for so long!
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    How about the drummer from Mastodon? He's a huge Peart fan, and damned good!

One of the encouraging things from that Lifeson interview was that he said his hands were feeling better. Hopefully that would make creating new music more palatable.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

As far as latter-day Rush is concerned, I feel that the main attraction (to me!) is the interaction between Peart and Lee in the rhythm section. Really tight. Lifeson's guitar seemed to be less prevalent and important. He became too enamored of the Fixx and the Edge in the 80's and never totally moved on. Might have been OK for an album or two, but he ceased being the prime mover in Rush music. Again, this is just me. Continuing to listen to Clockwork Angels. I think it's their best since Grace Under Pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    +1 for Minnemann!

I have the feeling that we should not expect a drumming superstar - more like someone with a low-ish profile, probably recommended to them by Nick Raskulinecz...

Quote Originally Posted by vmartell View Post
    I have the feeling that we should not expect a drumming superstar - more like someone with a low-ish profile, probably recommended to them by Nick Raskulinecz...
    I'm expecting someone they're friendly with. Like when both Geddy and Alex did their solo albums, they had their friends help them out.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by jellyfishfingers View Post
    +1 for Minnemann!
    Or Gavin Harrison
    Or Morgan Ågren

I think those two cats would be an interesting mix.

Mike Portnoy.

Quote Originally Posted by vmartell View Post
    Exactly. Assuming Geddy and Alex ever do produce some new music together (and this article doesn't really make it sound that likely), they would NOT be replacing Neil but doing something different.

My guess is that they would explore some other musical avenues that don't require dynamo drumming. It might be more interesting to them not to feel pressured to do something "Rush-like." I mean, anything they do will have some of those qualities, but it could be interesting.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Gavin would be perfect. Agreed!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Mike Portnoy.
    Please no.

Yeah, MP lacks the finesse. IMO Not to say he has none, but guys like Marco and Gavin have this really crisp, light approach when needed. And it will be. MP is a bit heavy handed (and footed). He could DO it, but....

No doubting Portnoy is a brilliant drummer, I love his work, but is he maybe a little too 'full on' for the Rush boys? I mean... Neil was quite laid back, would Ged and Alex want to work with a ball of energy like Mike? I dunno....

i welcome new material from Alex & Geddy.
    but Rush fans need to accept that they retired in 2015.