Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big Big Train to Reissue Remixed The Underfall Yard

Banned

Big Big Train to Reissue Remixed The Underfall Yard

Banned
    Big Big Train announce new reissue of The Underfall Yard
    By Jerry Ewing (Prog) an hour ago

Double CD and triple vinyl reissue for Big Big Train's 2009 album The Underfall Yard

British prog rockers Big Big Train have announced that they will reissue their 2009 album The Underfall Yard in April. The new remixed reissue will be available as 2CD and 3LP vinyl release as well as in digital formats and will be available through English Electric Recordings on April 9 (the vinyl version will be available through the Plane Groovy label). The Japanese version of the CD will be released through the Marquee label on March 25.

Originally released in December 2009, The Underfall Yard was the first Big Big Train album with vocalist David Longdon and drummer Nick D'Virgilio as full band members, the first to feature Dave Desmond's brass band and the first to include the guitar playing of Dave Gregory.

“The Underfall Yard is where the story of the contemporary line-up of Big Big Train begins. For the re-issue we asked BBT mixing engineer Rob Aubrey to open up the original sessions and to completely remix the album so that we could make a definitive version,” explains Greg Spawton. "Rob had more time and a bigger budget to work with, plus the benefit of another decade of mixing experience. His new mix has significantly improved the sound and dynamic range of the album.”

The new reissue will feature a second companion CD/third vinyl LP features 48 minutes of material, including a new 2020 studio recording of the title track, preceded by a previously unreleased brass prelude.

Also included is the Songs From The Shoreline suite, which was planned for the album’s original release in 2009. For this re-issue, in 2020 the band completely re-recorded Victorian Brickwork, which segues into Fat Billy Shouts Mine (which has to date only been available on the Far Skies, Deep Time EP).

The final track on the second disc is Brew And Burgh, a newly composed song written by BBT founder and bassist Greg Spawton specifically as a companion piece for this re-issue of the album. In addition, original album artist Jim Trainer has painted some new images for an expanded booklet.

“The Underfall Yard just missed out on the vinyl revival, so for some time we have been planning for a vinyl version of this re-issue,” says singer David Longdon. “We’re thrilled to have the album available on vinyl for the first time and so beautifully presented with Jim Trainer’s paintings.”

Pre-order The Underfall Yard.

Big Big Train: The Underfall Yard

CD Disc One
    1. Evening Star
    2. Master James of St George
    3. Victorian Brickwork
    4. Last Train
    5. Winchester Diver
    6. The Underfall Yard

CD Disc Two
    1. Songs From The Shoreline: (i) Victorian Brickwork (2020 Version) (ii) Fat Billy Shouts Mine
    2. Prelude To The Underfall Yard
    3. The Underfall Yard (2020 version)
    4. Brew And Burgh

Psyched beyond words. I needed some good news today!!!
    The Prog Corner

I really don't like the fact that when you've bought a Big Big Train record, you haven't heard the last of it! There's always reissues, expanded editions, etc...... I also don't get why remixing is done on these records. Did they screw it up the first time? The Underfall Yard is my favorite by these guys, but no thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I really don't like the fact that when you've bought a Big Big Train record, you haven't heard the last of it! There's always reissues, expanded editions, etc...... I also don't get why remixing is done on these records. Did they screw it up the first time? The Underfall Yard is my favorite by these guys, but no thanks!
    It's not like that's unique to Big Big Train. If you don't like the expanded editions and reissues, just don't buy them.

^^ Yeah. However, I always feel that when I've bought one of their records, I haven't really bought it until the deluxe, expanded, remastered with additional bonus tracks edition comes out. I like the old days when a record came out once.

No brainer for me.

Wish they'd give Bard a new release though, remix or no remix.

No brainer for me.

You can say that again.

I also don't get why remixing is done on these records. Did they screw it up the first time?
    I tend to agree. My understanding was that there was going to be a 5.1 mix hence the remixing. Apparently that's not the case so why the need for a remix when Rob Aubrey was already at the helm 10 years ago?

Having said that, it would seem that the remix includes additional bits. A Passenger with inside information mentioned additional brass on Winchester Diver which originally didn't feature brass.

Vinyl finally!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    I tend to agree. My understanding was that there was going to be a 5.1 mix hence the remixing. Apparently that's not the case so why the need for a remix when Rob Aubrey was already at the helm 10 years ago?

Having said that, it would seem that the remix includes additional bits. A Passenger with inside information mentioned additional brass on Winchester Diver which originally didn't feature brass.
    It might also have something to do with this being the first time it's released on vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by the ferret View Post

"A remixed limited edition re-issue of Bard will be released in 2022." This directly from Greg Spawton on the BBT Facebook page. One small run only apparently, so for anyone who is only missing that one, it will be one to jump on when the time comes.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^^ Yeah. However, I always feel that when I've bought one of their records, I haven't really bought it until the deluxe, expanded, remastered with additional bonus tracks edition comes out. I like the old days when a record came out once.
    Suit yourself. I don't hold it against the band for trying to make a living, especially when there's no concerts at all right now.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    It might also have something to do with this being the first time it's released on vinyl.
    Indeed, although releasing it on vinyl for the first time technically does not justify a remix.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Get ready for the Far Skies, Deep Time reissue, am I right?

Indeed, although releasing it on vinyl for the first time technically does not justify a remix.
    Technically, you are correct I think.

But they may have also seen this as a good opportunity to correct or change things that they realized they didn't like about the original mix.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    You can say that again.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Banned

If you follow Rob, you would know he did a major studio upgrade and that led to the Remaster of the recordings in Full Power. BBT has been working on a shoestring for production compared to let’s say Sound of Contact which was produced at the Genesis farm by Nick Davis who used some of the most expensive SSL equipment you can buy for that, and the Genesis remixes. Rob knows what he is doing, and if you don’t like the improvement, then fine. I know I will, I heard the improvement in Full Power.

Banned
    I really like the content of Underfall, but I have felt that it lacked the clarity and definition that the later recordings have. It’s not like it is a screwup though. What I really don’t understand is why people like to go to Prog fests with earplugs in. There is no way it sounds as good as it would if the dynamic range was good and the overall loudness was reasonable with no plugs. I read somewhere that Prog fans now really don’t care about audiophile sound.

Funnily enough, I was listening to the album this afternoon. I think Winchester Diver is a particularly interesting lyric. It was inspired by the story of William Walker, who worked under water in complete darkness for several years to shore up Winchester Cathedral and save it from collapse. There's a statue to him in the cathedral. I think the last verse in Greg Spawton's lyric is just fantastic.

Sometimes the albums have gone out of print too, so they reissue them. So I'm glad that records don't only 'come out once'. Sometimes there's unreleased material that I want to hear and if the band wants to make that available, I'm happy to support them. YMMV.

Also: It's been 11 years since Underfall Yard first came out. It's not like they reissued it right away, dude.

I’m looking forward to getting this expanded edition, and good luck to them for being able to make a career out of their music, finally. It’s an excellent album, and deserves a wider audience, perhaps it will find some new progressive ears this way.

Definitely on board for this.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BBTPassenger View Post
    Funnily enough, I was listening to the album this afternoon. I think Winchester Diver is a particularly interesting lyric. It was inspired by the story of William Walker, who worked under water in complete darkness for several years to shore up Winchester Cathedral and save it from collapse. There's a statue to him in the cathedral. I think the last verse in Greg Spawton's lyric is just fantastic.
    Greetings, Passenger! In your travels, have you heard tell of any long-range plans to reschedule those US Big Big Train shows? Watching the possibility of those original dissolve before my eyes was among the first blows COVID-19 struck in my life. I had tickets for both and was so psyched for them!