Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big Big Train to Reissue Remixed The Underfall Yard

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Greetings, Passenger! In your travels, have you heard tell of any long-range plans to reschedule those US Big Big Train shows? Watching the possibility of those original dissolve before my eyes was among the first blows COVID-19 struck in my life. I had tickets for both and was so psyched for them!
    ROSfest will happen again, and it was ROSfest which was going to support them. When?

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    If you follow Rob, you would know he did a major studio upgrade and that led to the Remaster of the recordings in Full Power. BBT has been working on a shoestring for production compared to let’s say Sound of Contact which was produced at the Genesis farm by Nick Davis who used some of the most expensive SSL equipment you can buy for that, and the Genesis remixes. Rob knows what he is doing, and if you don’t like the improvement, then fine. I know I will, I heard the improvement in Full Power.
    I'm not saying there's no way to improve the album, and I will be buying it for the bonus tracks anyway. I might even end up enjoying the remix, who knows?
    I just find it tiring that we are constantly being told that the albums we like are not definitive and have been modified. I'm not just talking about BBT here. There used to be a time when albums were the result of the circumstances in which they were recorded. The band and sound engineer gave it their best and that was what you got. Now people are constantly going back and changing things, claiming the new version is truer to their original intention, which is often debatable years after the fact. They have every right to tamper with their back catalogue at will, but as a fan I find it disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    claiming the new version is truer to their original intention
    Did BBT actually claim that?

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Did BBT actually claim that?
    I don't think they did, but it's a claim that is often made by artists when they tamper with their own work. I was not speaking specifically about BBT but about the general remixing trend.

I just find it tiring that we are constantly being told that the albums we like are not definitive and have been modified. I'm not just talking about BBT here. There used to be a time when albums were the result of the circumstances in which they were recorded.
    I find it way less tiring when it’s a band like BBT. TUY was their first with the expanded lineup and would have not had a large record company funded budget, and so it is understandable that they might find interesting ways to enhance it a decade on. The addition of extra material is a bonus and something to look forward to.

I find it very tiring when one of the leading lights tries to sell their catalogue for the fifth time over, and to the same dwindling market. I’ve been very guilty of indulging them in many instances, but I still find it tiring! Having said that, not every rock star is a millionaire, some have made poor life choices, and they are entitled to try and make a living whichever way they see fit.

Banned
    I'm not saying there's no way to improve the album, and I will be buying it for the bonus tracks anyway. I might even end up enjoying the remix, who knows?
    I just find it tiring that we are constantly being told that the albums we like are not definitive and have been modified. I'm not just talking about BBT here. There used to be a time when albums were the result of the circumstances in which they were recorded. The band and sound engineer gave it their best and that was what you got. Now people are constantly going back and changing things, claiming the new version is truer to their original intention, which is often debatable years after the fact. They have every right to tamper with their back catalogue at will, but as a fan I find it disturbing.
    Welcome to the world defined in software, not just hardware. It’s still comes down to what you hear, no matter what the chatter is on websites. I have bought 5.1 remixes which did not make the music more entertaining, but maybe only one or two though.

Banned
    And here it is:

https://bigbigtrain.bandcamp.com/tra...zuRHxCm2xREbdk

Comment from FB BBT thread:
    Oh! My! God!!!!! Massive! Majestic! Beautiful!!! Powerful!!! Masterpiece!! This re-issue deffo promises to be something truly truly special!!! Properly chuffed!!! <3 Well done Big Big Train!!!!

Oh! My! God!!!!! Massive! Majestic! Beautiful!!! Powerful!!! Masterpiece!!
    And original!!!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    And original!!!
    Listen at the beginning, the real brass instead of synths, more transparency at all throughout.

For all its qualities, the BBT Facebook group does not tolerate criticism.
    Although I consider myself a fan, the more contrasted viewpoints on this forum make discussions about the band more interesting.

Listen at the beginning, the real brass instead of synths, more transparency at all throughout.
    Don't think he will. He just loves to chime in in threads about bands he has no interest in, just to let us know that we shouldn't enjoy anything that doesn't push the boudaries of what can be done in music, let alone call it progressive.

Banned
    For all its qualities, the BBT Facebook group does not tolerate criticism.
    Although I consider myself a fan, the more contrasted viewpoints on this forum make discussions about the band more interesting.
    I may get in trouble for saying this, but the BBT group is dominantly British and I have attributed its civility as cultural characteristic. A Frog on the other hand would naturally be more contrarian, from a society whose roots go way back in The culture of liberty. Take the influence of France (and the Scottish enlightenment) on Thomas Jefferson and Ben Franklin, and the British order of Hamilton, Washington and Adams, and you get us, a hybrid of contrarianism and order.

I may get in trouble for saying this, but the BBT group is dominantly British and I have attributed its civility as cultural characteristic. A Frog on the other hand would naturally be more contrarian, from a society whose roots go way back in The culture of liberty. Take the influence of France (and the Scottish enlightenment) on Thomas Jefferson and Ben Franklin, and the British order of Hamilton, Washington and Adams, and you get us, a hybrid of contrarianism and order.
    Interesting POV. I have no problem complying to the unwritten rules of the FB group, but sometimes I would just like to be able to say that I don't fully embrace something the band has done. The few times I have politely tried to do so, it has either been suggested that I was disrespectful to the band or not trying hard enough to appreciate their music.

Greetings, Passenger! In your travels, have you heard tell of any long-range plans to reschedule those US Big Big Train shows? Watching the possibility of those original dissolve before my eyes was among the first blows COVID-19 struck in my life. I had tickets for both and was so psyched for them!
    I feel your pain. Those of us in the US will never see BBT with Dave Gregory and that sucks...
    The Prog Corner

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I feel your pain. Those of us in the US will never see BBT with Dave Gregory and that sucks...
    But you can get the Empire blu-Ray which will last forever and has phenomenal sound quality for a live recording.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    You can say that again.
    Indeed!

No idea how I managed to post the same thing twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    "A remixed limited edition re-issue of Bard will be released in 2022." This directly from Greg Spawton on the BBT Facebook page. One small run only apparently, so for anyone who is only missing that one, it will be one to jump on when the time comes.
    Great news. Thanks for the heads-up!

Get ready for the Far Skies, Deep Time reissue, am I right?
    In fact, this was already released back in 2017, compiling all the tracks that were on the previous UK and Russian versions. Except Kingmaker appears as a different, remixed version with extra keyboard parts by Andy Tillison, meaning that a completist needs this version even if he already owns the previous two. Welcome to the world of BBT!
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    And original!!!

Yeah, BBT are not what I'd call original either. Some of the more enthusiastic fans (like on the FB group) hype the band to unrealistic levels (to put it politely), IMO.

BBT has some charming qualities though, and have made some lovely music I think. My brother and cousin, who usually have no time for most things "prog related", both liked their song "Uncle Jack" for example. And "Winchester from St. Giles' Hill".

In fact, this was already released back in 2017, compiling all the tracks that were on the previous UK and Russian versions. Except Kingmaker appears as a different, remixed version with extra keyboard parts by Andy Tillison
    Wait, really? How did I miss this one?

I've only got the original one, and I had bought "Kingmaker" as a single track off Bandcamp back in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Wait, really? How did I miss this one?

I've only got the original one, and I had bought "Kingmaker" as a single track off Bandcamp back in 2012.
    It was released rather discreetly, as if it was just another repress.
    I believe it is now the version most commonly available.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I think there's a BBT concert on Prime Video.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I think there's a BBT concert on Prime Video.
    Sounds unlikely, certainly doesn't show up on a search from the UK. I know the band used Vimeo to deliver video content.

Edit: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/bigbigtra...ace1/236598453

It's called "Reflectors of Light".

https://www.bigbigtrain.com/reflecto...-amazon-prime/

It doesn't appear to be available in the US anymore although it was a few months ago.

Don't think he will. He just loves to chime in in threads about bands he has no interest in, just to let us know that we shouldn't enjoy anything that doesn't push the boudaries of what can be done in music, let alone call it progressive.
    No. Bad diagnosis, doctor.

While it's true that I only kept The Underfall Yard from the handful of BBT-records I got in a binge a few years back, and it's certainly also the case that I'm not instantly taken by this specific concept of "genre-interpretation" (unless it's done exceptionally well), I quite like this particular record and would indeed want to hear a less flat mix and that authentic brass involved.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM