Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big Big Train to Reissue Remixed The Underfall Yard

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    BBT has some charming qualities
    I agree fully. And some rather sophisticated ones as well. I never disliked the band at all, I just kept hoping for something allegedly magical which for obvious reasons weren't even supposed to appear.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    No. Bad diagnosis, doctor.

While it's true that I only kept The Underfall Yard from the handful of BBT-records I got in a binge a few years back, and it's certainly also the case that I'm not instantly taken by this specific concept of "genre-interpretation" (unless it's done exceptionally well), I quite like this particular record and would indeed want to hear a less flat mix and that authentic brass involved.
    My apologies then, I would not have thought you had any interest for a band like BBT, in light of your usual dislike for the regressive kind of prog.

FWIW, I listened to the preview track on Bandcamp and it does indeed sound noticeably better, without even taking into account the real brass that replace the synth on the intro.

I still stand by my comment that the original mix did not particularly sound flawed or in need of an improvement, and yet it seems they managed to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    My apologies then, I would not have thought you had any interest for a band like BBT, in light of your usual dislike for the regressive kind of prog
    You don't need to apologize for anything.

Although my alleged "[...] dislike for the regressive kind of prog" leaves an open well of possible interpretations that I won't get into right now.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    What I really don’t understand is why people like to go to Prog fests with earplugs in. There is no way it sounds as good as it would if the dynamic range was good and the overall loudness was reasonable with no plugs.
    Because some of us have Tinnitus and don't want to fuck up our hearing any more than it already is, that's why. I left a prog band that I was in back in 2004 because of this, and my hearing IS my day job. I've since had custom molded earplugs that have interchangeable -dB filters and it just takes the entire volume down without having a major sacrifice on the tonal quality of the music. It's very different than using the $3 foam ones you buy at the pharmacy.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

^ At concerts, I use earplugs that have streamers off them, like a kid's bike handlebars. They're great conversation starters. Especially when I wear the matching beanie.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I've since had custom molded earplugs that have interchangeable -dB filters and it just takes the entire volume down without having a major sacrifice on the tonal quality of the music.
    This sounds really nice! I tend to wear earplugs at concerts too, as I also value my hearing.

I never even thought of something like that, with -dB filters. Technology, man... I have got to get me some of those. Once the concerts start back up at least.

You don't need to apologize for anything.

Although my alleged "[...] dislike for the regressive kind of prog" leaves an open well of possible interpretations that I won't get into right now.
    I did not mean it as a criticism, and there is nothing to interpret. You have always been very vocal about your preference for progressive bands in the truest sense of the word. You have been equally vocal about your dislike of so-called regressive prog which simply repeats previously established formulas without pushing boundaries.
    There is a general agreement that BBT belong to the latter category, although indeed they do it quite well. I had wrongly assumed you had no interest in a band like BBT and therefore stand corrected.

I agree fully. And some rather sophisticated ones as well. I never disliked the band at all, I just kept hoping for something allegedly magical which for obvious reasons weren't even supposed to appear.
    Yeah man, I understand what you mean, and I knew you didn't dislike them. Like you said, they have some sophisticated qualities too -- but they've never quite climbed to the very top echelon for me personally. I think I was expecting something out of them that was never even their intention to begin with, and that was unfair on my part. I did really like Grand Tour though.

They're a great group of folks, and I love that Rikard Sjoblom is a member (and has been for a few years now). For a good decade or so, it was so nice hearing Dave Gregory playing guitar again. A bit different from his work in XTC, but still lovely. I'm still sad that he left the band, but hopefully he'll continue doing music stuff (maybe with the Tin Spirits, or elsewhere).

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    For a good decade or so, it was so nice hearing Dave Gregory playing guitar again. A bit different from his work in XTC
    Most different, although I knew of his "prog rock" penchant from before, as he was mocked for it in parts of the UK music press during the 90s though later praised for admitting it. There were others of that ilk, you know - like Jaz Coleman of Killing Joke and J.J. Burnel of The Stranglers, both of whom the patsy UK indie-rock press of the 90s wouldn't have dared challenging on the subject.

We've been down this road of information before so many times, of course. As with this revealing one, of Ian Curtis and his wife:
    joy-division-nektar.jpg

Most different, although I knew of his "prog rock" penchant from before, as he was mocked for it in parts of the UK music press during the 90s though later praised for admitting it.
    Typical of the press, sadly, isn't it?

There were others of that ilk, you know - like Jaz Coleman of Killing Joke and J.J. Burnel of The Stranglers, both of whom the patsy UK indie-rock press of the 90s wouldn't have dared challenging on the subject.
    Of course. It's all about seeming hep to the jive, for those types of journos -- no real integrity. Saying anything critical of the groups with serious punk-rock or post-punk street cred at the time would have been out of the question for them.

We've been down this road of information before so many times, of course. As with this revealing one, of Ian Curtis and his wife:
    joy-division-nektar.jpg
    Ah! I hadn't seen that one before. Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Because some of us have Tinnitus and don't want to fuck up our hearing any more than it already is, that's why. I left a prog band that I was in back in 2004 because of this, and my hearing IS my day job. I've since had custom molded earplugs that have interchangeable -dB filters and it just takes the entire volume down without having a major sacrifice on the tonal quality of the music. It's very different than using the $3 foam ones you buy at the pharmacy.
    I have those and they are the best compromise. Still not as good as if the venue supply an appropriate, non - damaging volume level. I have tinnitus too since an ear infection in the 90s.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

About whether BBT will do a 5.1 version of TUY:

John, I understand that whilst this might have been the original intention it was not viable at this time. However, it is not off the cards further down the track...

New video for the remixed version of the title track, featuring a new guitar solo by Francis Dunnery. Judging by this and the new brass part on the intro to Winchester Diver, it looks like the remixed album will feature several changes.

https://youtu.be/1kcjjs-bkM0

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I also don't get why remixing is done on these records.
    This will be the first time it will have a hip hop rhythm section.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ At concerts, I use earplugs that have streamers off them, like a kid's bike handlebars. They're great conversation starters. Especially when I wear the matching beanie.
    Do you bring your own fan as well so you can do a sort of audience version of Steve Vai?
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    It's called "Reflectors of Light".

https://www.bigbigtrain.com/reflecto...-amazon-prime/

It doesn't appear to be available in the US anymore although it was a few months ago.
    Wayside has it.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    The new mix sounds great and Dunnery's solo is interesting. It still had the same problem as the original and so does Jem Godfrey's synth solo: it's much too technical and flashy for BBT. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Wayside has it.
    At one point, you could stream it for free on Amazon Prime.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    At one point, you could stream it for free on Amazon Prime.
    That was mentioned not too many posts back. I wonder how that happened (Amazon streaming it for free). Hard to believe Amazon really knew what it was. Not sure how that works - too bad it's no longer there!

Are they gonna fix the compressed mastering of the first cd?

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    Are they gonna fix the compressed mastering of the first cd?
    First time I hear that complaint about this album. But, yes, it is likely, I believe Rob Aubrey and BBT are now favouring minimal mastering on their recent releases.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    First time I hear that complaint about this album. But, yes, it is likely, I believe Rob Aubrey and BBT are now favouring minimal mastering on their recent releases.
    Not to mention of course that their recordings are available on Bandcamp in High definition files, FLAC and ALAC. But at the end of the day, listen. Those YouTube links sound excellent on my good system.

This maybe a dumb question but....
    Does this video represent the "2020 remix" version of the song (from CD1) or the new studio recording (on CD2)?

Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    This maybe a dumb question but....
    Does this video represent the "2020 remix" version of the song (from CD1) or the new studio recording (on CD2)?
    It's the version from CD1 which is a remix of the original version with a new solo by Dunnery.
    The version on CD2 is a new studio recording by the current band (prior to the 3 departures from 2020, that is). That version is likely to be closer to how they played it live in 2015.