Thread: Glass Hammer Live Chattanooga 3/10/13

Glass Hammer Live Chattanooga 3/10/13

What an incredible show in my town with my good friends whose last show I saw was in the same venue almost 4 yrs. ago! That one was a warm-up for the 3RP festival, and this one for Cruise to the Edge with YES in 2 weeks. In a nutshell, this was the most streamlined version of GH I've seen(this was my 5th show), and no doubt the TIGHTEST. With newcomers Alan Shikoh on guitars, and Aaron Rawlston on drums the sound is also much more muscular and heavy. I had actually seen Alan with a jazz ensemble back in 2008 when He was just 19 so I clearly knew his potential-but He definitely exceeded any expectations. His age is the only contrast to the rest of the band, he fits right in so well, and his joy to be playing with GH was obvious and contagious. Aaron is an absolute MONSTER on drums, He is technically amazing, and hits the drums hard and gives this band what has been sometimes lacking in the percussion dept. on many of the bands recordings, esp. the early ones. Freds playing was amazing as ever, Steve's bass sound was the best I've heard in all 5 shows I've seen also. Carl did a great job singing mostly songs done originally by other vocalists(one of which was in attendance and did a great unrehearsed version of Steve Hackett's "Narnia" with Fred). He esp. shined on "Rest" from Culture of Ascent. The setlist spanned most of their career ( from the first album thru 2010's "If"), and brillantly ended at the beginning with "Time Marches on", and "Something's Coming" from the first two albums. Other highlights were "Knight of the North" and Son Song". All who are going on the cruise are in for a real treat. You wont find a better or tighter sounding band who tours so sparringly as GH! Kudos to my good friends Steve and Fred, and the incredible "mostly local" version of GH you have currently assembled. Hopefully you will be exposed to a wider audience than ever before! Peace guys and blow them away on the boat!

How did Walter sound? It's been, what, 8 years since TIS?

Jefferson James
    Nice review, YESHEAD77 -- hoping to catch GH on-stage sometime in this life LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    Nice review, YESHEAD77 -- hoping to catch GH on-stage sometime in this life LOL.
    Work something out man- maybe we can share a bill!!

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    How did Walter sound? It's been, what, 8 years since TIS?

Walter sounded great. I haven't heard him live so I had no idea how much he sounded like Steve Walsh! And that's the SW in his prime! And what a great song choice!

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Work something out man- maybe we can share a bill!!
    Share a bill?...with who?

Quote Originally Posted by YESHEAD777 View Post
    Share a bill?...with who?
    With whatever Kerry's current project is...

[QUOTE=trurl;67120]With whatever Kerry's current project is...

Not Kerry Livgren? LOL.