Thread: Looking for the name of a late Seventies band from the U.K.

Looking for the name of a late Seventies band from the U.K.

I haven't had success trying to remember the name of a band from the late Seventies, and now I'm hoping that someone will help me with a few hints. They were a quartet, led by a good looking dark haired singer that looked a lot like a new Elvis, and also had a unusual deep voice, like Jim Morrison. He sang poetic anthemic songs, played guitar. The band had a great lead guitar player, though. They recorded maybe four albums, some of them even released in the States, and they had a fairly successful single... there's a video in Youtube of the miming to the song in a TV show. After the band, the singer went on to a long solo career, maybe more folk oriented. They were possibly Scottish or Welsh... I think the singer died a few years ago.

It would be extremely helpful if you could provide a YT video of the miming on the TV show.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

One possibility is Lloyd Cole - of Lloyd Cole & the Commotions - but they were more early 80s than late 70s. Their first single, which was a hit, was Perfect Skin. He has a voice like you describe, & looks like you describe - but he's still alive!

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    It would be extremely helpful if you could provide a YT video of the miming on the TV show.
    If I had the video it would mean I know the answer to my own query, which I don't.

Thanks, but that's not it. One thing I seem to remember is that the group's name repeated a word... Wall to Wall or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyiceu View Post
    If I had the video it would mean I know the answer to my own query, which I don't.
    Excuse me...you wrote " there's a video in Youtube of the miming to the song in a TV show".

Many times people will post videos on YouTube without referencing where they came from or who they are.
    I thought this was the case because of the way you wrote it, and thought if we at least had a video image someone might recognize the singer.

I'm sorry for commenting and trying to help.
    Good luck!
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Wall to Wall or something like that.
    Doll By Doll, fronted by former folk-rock singer and cult solo artist Jackie Leven? He passed away a few years back and was originally from Scotland. His very first album, Control from 1971, even has quite the 'progressive' imprint on it but was released under his pseudonym of John St. Field. A very good album, btw.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

The The, but they were really late 70's - 80's. Matt Johnson was the singer. Deepish voice. But he's not dead.
    Johnny Marr was a guitarist for a while, pretty good.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Excuse me...you wrote " there's a video in Youtube of the miming to the song in a TV show".

Many times people will post videos on YouTube without referencing where they came from or who they are.
    I thought this was the case because of the way you wrote it, and thought if we at least had a video image someone might recognize the singer.

I'm sorry for commenting and trying to help.
    Good luck!
    You seem to be a very angry person, for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Doll By Doll, fronted by former folk-rock singer and cult solo artist Jackie Leven? He passed away a few years back and was originally from Scotland. His very first album, Control from 1971, even has quite the 'progressive' imprint on it but was released under his pseudonym of John St. Field. A very good album, btw.

This is it. Thanks very much.

From their wonderful and best first album.

Once again......Amazed by the collective knowledge in this Forum!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

You seem to be a very angry person, for some reason.
    yes, THAT'S IT!! .

Banned
    yes, THAT'S IT!! .
    Good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Wow - well figured out, Sc(r)ot - funny how things appear to us in our memories...

Jackie Leven, though - fae Fife - a sort of folk-new wave John Martyn

This oddity from Leven is of possible prog interest. Recorded under a pseudonym (knowing Leven’s past, I can kind of understand why) and only released in Spain (I still don’t know why*) on the prog-adjacent Movieplay label:

*I seem to remember hearing Leven was living in exile for a time. Again, knowing his past, I can understand why.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...