Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson- The Future Bites

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    Saw the suit and tie and was hoping for Robert Palmer girls.
    Ah but you’re projecting a tie, when all I see is black suit and white shirt, the uniform of a Pogue, and yet there’s not a tin whistle in sight.

My thoughts after quite a few spins over recent days...

- Yes I can hear his unique voice in there, and there are tropes that link this to his body of work.
    - I’m not really buying the “but he’s always been pop” stance. Just because there’s been the odd shorter song back to PT days (Trains, Lazarus, Piano Lessons etc) does not mean he is always tilting at pop success. It was only Permananting and the nightly ritual of telling his audience to get on board with classic pop, that suggested a switch up to me.
    - PT and solo were his vehicles to develop his rock credentials, and soaked up and projected influences back to us, be they Floyd, Radiohead, Opeth... all names with a tangential relationship to prog, or at least claimed as their own by those of us who cast the net wide.
    - Other projects, No Man and Blackfield were more pop in their outlook.
    - Today he is soaking up electronica and reflecting this back to us. Some of the album I like, other parts I’m “meh” on, and it’s never going to be in my Wislon top ten.
    - I think the hype machine is in overdrive, billboards on Sunset Strip and London in recent days, so many limited edition variants. He needs a big success to recoup the investment, and good luck to him.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Ah but you’re projecting a tie, when all I see is black suit and white shirt, the uniform of a Pogue, and yet there’s not a tin whistle in sight.
    Weird. You’re right. I “remembered” a tie on the album cover too, but there isn’t one.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I don’t care if he’s “prog” or not, but I like it much better when Wilson’s music showcases a more eclectic mixture of influences with a more organic sound.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Sean, I'm pretty sure those of us who are disappointed with this release aren't disappointed because it's not the Second Coming of Crunchy Prog. To beat a dead horse, we all like good pop music. This just ain't it (IMO).
    Totally agree, I don't care if it's prog, metal, yodel or opera; this is, IMHO, simply a lame record with no ideas.
    Last edited by Dedatolo; 02-02-2021 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedatolo View Post
    Totally agree, I don't care it's prog, metal, yodel or opera; this is, IMHO, simply a lame record with no ideas.
    That is just like your opinion... dude. And mine.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

How many celebs did you recognize in the video? I saw Arnold S., Scarlett Jo., McCartney, Tr***, FB Zuckerboy, Tony Stark, David Bowie at the end. Didn't recognize the bearded one.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    How many celebs did you recognize in the video? I saw Arnold S., Scarlett Jo., McCartney, Tr***, FB Zuckerboy, Tony Stark, David Bowie at the end. Didn't recognize the bearded one.
    Cl*****, Bi***, Indiana Jones, Tyler Durden

I am also one who is not surprised by his current direction, and am glad he is pursuing it. The pop touchstones have been there in his catalog all along, amongst other influences. He namechecks many of the pop artists that I also love, Gabriel, Tears for Fears, Talk Talk, etc. The difference for me is that they've all had distinctive vocalists, who were accomplished singers and/or had very unique voices which allowed them to deliver great performances on top of sometimes repetitive tracks (e.g. "Life's What You Make It" by TT). Steven's most effective vocals IMHO have been more of the understated shoegazer style on Signify thru Lightbulb. I will say that he has been stretching himself since then, but it never reaches the level of his influences for me. I think he can fill the gap at times with his production (which is often stunning), and previously he has surrounded himself with fantastic "musos", but the simpler songs in combination with his vocals haven't gripped me yet.
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Apparently its entered at No. 2 in the UK album chart. Will be interesting to see how long it lasts this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedatolo View Post
    Totally agree, I don't care it's prog, metal, yodel or opera; this is, IMHO, simply a lame record with no ideas.
    I wouldn't say totally but I find myself liking more tracks on the Special Edition disc than are on the main album. It is a big disappointment for sure but Steven has moved on and found new set of fans now it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by noisynoise View Post
    I am also one who is not surprised by his current direction, and am glad he is pursuing it. The pop touchstones have been there in his catalog all along, amongst other influences. He namechecks many of the pop artists that I also love, Gabriel, Tears for Fears, Talk Talk, etc. The difference for me is that they've all had distinctive vocalists, who were accomplished singers and/or had very unique voices which allowed them to deliver great performances on top of sometimes repetitive tracks (e.g. "Life's What You Make It" by TT). Steven's most effective vocals IMHO have been more of the understated shoegazer style on Signify thru Lightbulb. I will say that he has been stretching himself since then, but it never reaches the level of his influences for me. I think he can fill the gap at times with his production (which is often stunning), and previously he has surrounded himself with fantastic "musos", but the simpler songs in combination with his vocals haven't gripped me yet.
    These are interesting insights, thanks for sharing. You make a good point about distinctive vocalists, and how Wilson sometimes uses production to fill that gap. Let's face it, he's no Mark Hollis or Peter Gabriel when it comes to singing.

Also, a very good example with that Talk Talk song IMO.

Loving the album so far. Loving his whole promotional way about this record too. I got caught up in purchasing the Deluxe Edition Boxset. But boy I'm glad I did. It's a lot of fun trying to soak all of this extra material. The B-Sides and extra tracks are almost just as good as the main album!

My favorites so far (because you didn't ask):

In Floral Green
    Anyone But Me
    12 Things I Forgot
    Count of Unease

Amazing to think he's been sitting on this finished collection of songs since January 2020! Glad it's finally out...

I have to say I'm not a fan of the new album. And I'm not one of these people that is bent out of shape about it not being "prog" enough. I love pop and I love electronic stuff but I just personally found a lot of the material to be boring. I did find some nice bits here and there and probably felt the last song on the album was the best. I don't have any desire to listen to it again.
    I am curious as to how he would have got the rights to use all of the celebrity likenesses in that new video.
    Good on him though, it seems like he's enjoying what he's doing and that's the main thing. I think I'll just jump off at this point.

You know...

Most of the great pop music is "fun".

I'm not finding much on this one though. It's all rather serious.

Music is Music, there is good and bad in all so called "Genres". Sonically TFB is Superb, I don't love all of it but it is growing on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    You know...

Yeah, it's not exactly what I'd call fun. Although I don't know if Steven Wilson has ever been what I'd consider "fun" to listen to. Even a song like "Piano Lessons" is melancholy, even though it's catchy. Maybe that's just who he is?

You know...

Great point. Maybe that's the difference between "pop" and "art pop"
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by noisynoise View Post
    Great point. Maybe that's the difference between "pop" and "art pop"
    Ohhh snap, I forgot about art pop!

The first time I think I ever heard the term "art pop" was when Demon Days by Gorillaz came out. My brother referred to it as art pop, and I'd never heard of that phrase before for some reason.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    It's not unlike other Steven Wilson solo albums in that I like it, but don't love it. I think he's going through some sort of Gotye phase. This album has a calculated feel to me.

You know...

That's a great observation Sean. He was tweeting along yesterday to a playback on Twitter, and he described Personal Shopper as "joyous". That's the last thing I'd think of that song, I find it rather oppressive sounding.

I noted recently he did a cover of a Taylor Swift song on his social media. Seems like he's trying too hard to be "hip" or "relevant". (Well hip really isn't a current word but.. ) Who knows, this may turn out to be successful for him, more power to him.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Mu deluxe edition shipped a week ago tomorrow, but the tracing says it's still sitting in Colnbrook, UK and the status says "Clearance in Progress." Do you think that's Customs?

Anyway, since I still haven't listened to it streaming: I thought some of the sessions videos Wislon put on YouTube were interesting; are those included in the Deluxe edition?

I ordered the regular CD edition from Amazon, along with the latest Opeth one. Also just got some new higher-end headphones, and I'm eager to check this music out with them.

I dunno... Wislon's music interests me, on some level, even if it doesn't provoke an emotional response all the time. I can't help but admire him. *shrug*

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Anyway, since I still haven't listened to it streaming: I thought some of the sessions videos Wislon put on YouTube were interesting; are those included in the Deluxe edition?
    I found a track listing on discogs, where the box is already selling for a 250% mark up. I’m not sure of the songs from the sessions, I think these are not included. There are only six additional songs, plus remixes, extended mixes and instrumental versions.

https://www.discogs.com/ST3V3NW1L5ON...lease/17174641

"An OK Computer for the Amazon age", says Prog (Magazine?)!!

neil