Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Steven Wilson- The Future Bites

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    This is my observation as well.

I'd go a step further and say that it's a real stretch to call TFB "Prog Pop" at all. In my experience (not saying you are doing this), adding "Prog" to anything in our circles is to add credibility and even validation for liking a "guilty pleasure". While I generally like my pop/rock/alt/indie music to have an element of sophistication to it - and TFB does - there's very little about it that is progressive or "proggy" imo.

That said, it's also in my experience that if the artist's name was Wilson Stefan and was alien to these parts, this album would be largely panned by the majority of the audience here or much more likely completely ignored. It's only because it's an artist that many have an investment in that it even gets listened to and "given the benefit of the doubt" in the first place.
    Yeah, it was my understanding that the music he's trying to champion these days is "Art Pop", not "Prog Pop". But he's also mentioned a recent fascination with electronic disco-pop a la Donna Summer. Club music, essentially.

And I agree with the litmus test of "Would I give a rat's ass about this if it was under the name of someone I wasn't familiar with?"
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    My bias isn’t so much “prog” vs “not prog” as it is that I very strongly prefer conventional instrument based music over electronics and software.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I count myself among his fans and have purchased all of his solo albums (I've even kept a couple). I have no problem with his art-pop leanings because I'm also a fan of many of the artists that have influenced Wilson. But there are things he says that make me roll my eyes at times. But these aren't indictments just observations. And this is a message board, not a fan club. I agree with the sentiment made a few posts that an album like TFB might be shown a great deal of indifference if it were anyone else. Wilson's association with prog, whether performing or producing, remixing, etc is why there's even a thread about TFB on this site. Sure, some art-pop artists do get mentioned here from time to time (Gotye a few years ago) but they don't get multiple page threads, let alone multiple threads.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I'd go a step further and say that it's a real stretch to call TFB "Prog Pop" at all. In my experience (not saying you are doing this), adding "Prog" to anything in our circles is to add credibility and even validation for liking a "guilty pleasure". While I generally like my pop/rock/alt/indie music to have an element of sophistication to it - and TFB does - there's very little about it that is progressive or "proggy" imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Yeah, it was my understanding that the music he's trying to champion these days is "Art Pop", not "Prog Pop".
    The reason I called it "Prog Pop" is that I don't really consider it to fit any other category very well. I don't consider it EDM or Techno or anything like that. And to me it just sounds like a variant of what SW already sounded like. I don't really "recognize" the terms "Art Rock" or "Art Pop." I kind of hate the term Art Rock, not that the term "Progressive Rock" is perfect by any means. I also don't distinguish between "Progressive" and "Prog." Really what it sounds like is "simplified Steven Wilson music." Which is fine by me as long as it sounds good to me, which it does.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The reason I called it "Prog Pop" is that I don't really consider it to fit any other category very well. I don't consider it EDM or Techno or anything like that. And to me it just sounds like a variant of what SW already sounded like. I don't really "recognize" the terms "Art Rock" or "Art Pop." I kind of hate the term Art Rock, not that the term "Progressive Rock" is perfect by any means. I also don't distinguish between "Progressive" and "Prog." Really what it sounds like is "simplified Steven Wilson music." Which is fine by me as long as it sounds good to me, which it does.
    Yeah, "Art Pop" was my term. He's repeatedly said (and I'm paraphrasing): "I like pop music, but pop music that's got a bit of art to it." Then he usually name checks Prince, Tears for Fears, blah blah blah.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm not sure how to label it based on what I've heard on the samples. I just consider it decent music. Would i prefer prog, certainly. Is all I really care about his something decent, yes.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.