Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson- The Future Bites

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    This is my observation as well.

I'd go a step further and say that it's a real stretch to call TFB "Prog Pop" at all. In my experience (not saying you are doing this), adding "Prog" to anything in our circles is to add credibility and even validation for liking a "guilty pleasure". While I generally like my pop/rock/alt/indie music to have an element of sophistication to it - and TFB does - there's very little about it that is progressive or "proggy" imo.

That said, it's also in my experience that if the artist's name was Wilson Stefan and was alien to these parts, this album would be largely panned by the majority of the audience here or much more likely completely ignored. It's only because it's an artist that many have an investment in that it even gets listened to and "given the benefit of the doubt" in the first place.
    Yeah, it was my understanding that the music he's trying to champion these days is "Art Pop", not "Prog Pop". But he's also mentioned a recent fascination with electronic disco-pop a la Donna Summer. Club music, essentially.

And I agree with the litmus test of "Would I give a rat's ass about this if it was under the name of someone I wasn't familiar with?"
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    My bias isn’t so much “prog” vs “not prog” as it is that I very strongly prefer conventional instrument based music over electronics and software.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I count myself among his fans and have purchased all of his solo albums (I've even kept a couple). I have no problem with his art-pop leanings because I'm also a fan of many of the artists that have influenced Wilson. But there are things he says that make me roll my eyes at times. But these aren't indictments just observations. And this is a message board, not a fan club. I agree with the sentiment made a few posts that an album like TFB might be shown a great deal of indifference if it were anyone else. Wilson's association with prog, whether performing or producing, remixing, etc is why there's even a thread about TFB on this site. Sure, some art-pop artists do get mentioned here from time to time (Gotye a few years ago) but they don't get multiple page threads, let alone multiple threads.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I'd go a step further and say that it's a real stretch to call TFB "Prog Pop" at all. In my experience (not saying you are doing this), adding "Prog" to anything in our circles is to add credibility and even validation for liking a "guilty pleasure". While I generally like my pop/rock/alt/indie music to have an element of sophistication to it - and TFB does - there's very little about it that is progressive or "proggy" imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Yeah, it was my understanding that the music he's trying to champion these days is "Art Pop", not "Prog Pop".
    The reason I called it "Prog Pop" is that I don't really consider it to fit any other category very well. I don't consider it EDM or Techno or anything like that. And to me it just sounds like a variant of what SW already sounded like. I don't really "recognize" the terms "Art Rock" or "Art Pop." I kind of hate the term Art Rock, not that the term "Progressive Rock" is perfect by any means. I also don't distinguish between "Progressive" and "Prog." Really what it sounds like is "simplified Steven Wilson music." Which is fine by me as long as it sounds good to me, which it does.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The reason I called it "Prog Pop" is that I don't really consider it to fit any other category very well. I don't consider it EDM or Techno or anything like that. And to me it just sounds like a variant of what SW already sounded like. I don't really "recognize" the terms "Art Rock" or "Art Pop." I kind of hate the term Art Rock, not that the term "Progressive Rock" is perfect by any means. I also don't distinguish between "Progressive" and "Prog." Really what it sounds like is "simplified Steven Wilson music." Which is fine by me as long as it sounds good to me, which it does.
    Yeah, "Art Pop" was my term. He's repeatedly said (and I'm paraphrasing): "I like pop music, but pop music that's got a bit of art to it." Then he usually name checks Prince, Tears for Fears, blah blah blah.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I'm not sure how to label it based on what I've heard on the samples. I just consider it decent music. Would i prefer prog, certainly. Is all I really care about his something decent, yes.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

a treat
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    What about the Vogon poetry?

That's a pretty good alternative version of a great song, and takes me back in time to Porcupine Tree shows when they were still quite an underground word of mouth thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    That's a pretty good alternative version of a great song, and takes me back in time to Porcupine Tree shows when they were still quite an underground word of mouth thing.
    SC - you're lucky that you experienced those early shows.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I've been browsing SW's Facebook page just to see what's happening in his world. And it seems that The Future Bites is a success. I'm glad for him, but not for me. As I am a true definition of the term "Prog Snob," and realize more and more that my musical likes are very limited. But that's ok because as the song said "I know what I like, and I like what I know." And I will always embrace progressive rock. SW is certainly a musical giant and I wish him continuing success. However I miss his massive prog output, and can only hope that he'll come around full circle in the future. And I sorely miss Porcupine Tree. Who knows ? I also wish he'd say hello on this forum the way he used to as username SWILSON. C'est la vie.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    I also wish he'd say hello on this forum the way he used to as username SWILSON. C'est la vie.
    I did not know that. No offense to us, but if I were him, I wouldn't want to come on here, lol.

neil

The eons are closing
    We should be offended by ourselves sometimes.
    Only way to grow.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I don't recall SW ever posting here either.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I don't recall SW ever posting here either.
    Neither do I.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

He didn't.

He did for awhile on the Hoffman forum.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    He did post here a long time ago under the pseudonym Blue Vino

That explains it.

I've heard from reliable sources that he did at one time. When I met him and mentioned PE though he just played dumb and said he does not read fan reviews (good or bad ones). I told him that's probably a good idea, though the majority here seemed to really liked his new album at the time (The Raven). Also, that in a place like this where people are allowed to freely express all opinions about an artist's work, he might not like seeing both sides of the coin.
    Last edited by Sean; 03-27-2021 at 06:14 PM.

^ He's probably OK with the coin.

In his pocket... Who wouldn't be?

I didn't know he posted here.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    I did not know that. No offense to us, but if I were him, I wouldn't want to come on here, lol.

neil
    Quite a few artists have been here and been roasted over the coals. They have come and gone unfortunately. People on this forum can sometimes be cruel and say things that they would never say face to face. Roger Waters called it "the bravery of being out of range".

I never understood the 'roasting' thing. Unless someone asks for it, why?
    A "fan" thing I don't get, I suppose.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

One man's "roast" is another's "mild critique"....