Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spinning John Wetton

Spinning John Wetton

On the 4th anniversary of JW's passing I' m spinning a lot of his solo and U.K. material. He was such a personal writer/ lyricist. Things like Night after Night perhaps speaking of the slog of touring and missing loved ones , but also the ghost/ mystery of RendezVous 602. I revisited the Night after Night album and wished they had recorded a 3rd studio album. I think the new tracks Night after Night and As long as you want me here, are strong , slightly more leaning towards Asia but both strong melody and playing. Jobson wanted to stay in the very prog lane and JW more song oriented . I also loved that re recorded In the Dead of Night , it was an interesting variation on the original , but Bozzio smokes on it as usual. What happened to the Wetton boxed set?

Was only thinking the same the other day! There has been no update about the box set for months.

My go to Wetton album is Battlelines

I can listen to anything John played on and or sang, anytime.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Thanks for posting the links. My favourite Wetton is Red era Crim so the videos scratched that itch.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Wow, Just Wow! District 97, as always way beyond excellent. And John Wetton the cherry on top. What a special treat this turned out to be.

Just going to leave this little gem right here:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Yes, Progbear, pretty cool.

Every time I see this topic I get a mental picture of a revolving John Wetton...
    Contrary to popular demand: THE HIPCRIME VOCAB CD startlingly available!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Every time I see this topic I get a mental picture of a revolving John Wetton...
    I was just thinking...Rolling in his grave maybe, but spinning? That's a new one.
    I like the part where Icarus hijacks the Little Red Hen.

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    Likewise, loved his voice and Bass Playing. Although I do prefer the 3 Albums he did with King Crimson and the 2 with U.K.

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Wow. Really cool. I knew he played with Family, but I've never heard their music. Now I need to explore more. Two double-necked guitars? Vibraphone? On VH-1?? I think Wetton was the better vocalist in that band, too.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

good one: "Starless.Eddie Jobson, John Wetton Reunion. UK Live in Tokyo. 2012"

I have found that Gravitas has the most staying power among the studio discs of the 2nd era of Asia. Might be the last studio disc he ever recorded.

I have a hard time even associating John Wetton with Asia, although I know he was integral and all in.
    I like the part where Icarus hijacks the Little Red Hen.

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post

Damn!I used to love Family and have all their albums (LP's) that is. But i never saw them before. Wow! Eye opener, I'm pulling them all out now for a re listen.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    District 97 posted their memories of performing with John Wetton. It's nice to see him singing the Larks Tongues/Starless/Red era Crimson.
    Priviliged to have been there.

Here's a brief documentary celebrating JW's life & work:
    https://youtu.be/5GNuMp6zodc

My favorite work by John is Crimson's Larks, Starless & Red albums and with U.K. Continue to Rest In Peace, John Wetton.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar

This is a really good one.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar

This one too.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

I'm watching the Symphonia DVD today while getting some work done.

Boy howdy, his voice is so strong on this recording. The orchestra doesn't add much. I've never thought to myself, "Boy, this Asia song really needs some strings here." But this a highly enjoyable concert, the more so given Wetton's health and vitality in it.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I also enjoy John and Geoff's Icon material very much. Under the Sky is one of my favorites from that project.

https://youtu.be/7EmfmFJRyiA

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I'm watching the Symphonia DVD today while getting some work done.

Boy howdy, his voice is so strong on this recording. The orchestra doesn't add much. I've never thought to myself, "Boy, this Asia song really needs some strings here." But this a highly enjoyable concert, the more so given Wetton's health and vitality in it.
    I just watched Symphonia. Completely agree on both counts. Wetton sounds fantastic, and the orchestra is completely redundant. Wetton sounded equally great on the UK final tour of 2015 and he had slimmed down and looked great as well. So sad he was taken from us all with his abundance of talent still intact.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I just watched Symphonia. Completely agree on both counts. Wetton sounds fantastic, and the orchestra is completely redundant. Wetton sounded equally great on the UK final tour of 2015 and he had slimmed down and looked great as well. So sad he was taken from us all with his abundance of talent still intact.
    I followed John since hearing Larks Tongue in the mid-70s. Love his vocals. I'm really happy that I saw the UK reunion in Montreal. I bought his autobiography years ago and have a signed copy.

I first heard John Wetton in late 1980 when a new band mate played me UK Live. I worked backwards from there and definitely focus mostly on his work with Crimson and UK. That beautiful voice and the vicious bass tones... He continues to be an inspiration to me to this day.