Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nad Sylvan new album “Spiritus Mundi”

A new video a fan of Nad's posted on Youtube with Yeats' words.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    I'm glad you enjoy my music! I have spent the lockdown revising my whole catalog - replacing drum machine with a real drummer, remixing, remastering - for digital downloads. I have three albums to finish. 9 are up already. Many of the albums have new artwork and all albums are now under the Winter Tree name. Nad sang 2 songs on my last album "Topaz Islands Dreaming".
    " Grave New World" is one of my favorite albums so its influence has probably seeped into me.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I want to give you the credit for Nad moving with this new record into a totally new directions theme wise ... away from creepy subjects like vampires and the like. Quite a big change and I am hoping he will stick with it.

All I can say about the effort of redoing old albums is "wow". I imagine it has required a lot of effort but should be very interesting to listen to. Have not seen anything (any downloads) on your website. Where are they, or going to be, available? Do you have a bandcamp website?
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I want to give you the credit for Nad moving with this new record into a totally new directions theme wise ... away from creepy subjects like vampires and the like. Quite a big change and I am hoping he will stick with it.

All I can say about the effort of redoing old albums is "wow". I imagine it has required a lot of effort but should be very interesting to listen to. Have not seen anything (any downloads) on your website. Where are they, or going to be, available? Do you have a bandcamp website?
    I uploaded the albums to CD Baby and they distribute it to streaming and selling services such as Spotify, Apple Music, etc. I tried not to make drastic changes to the songs - some I even left as is. I just wanted to fix a few things that have been bothering me for years. I don't have Bandcamp but will look into it.
    They are also on Amazon.com digital music site, though I had to scroll through several pages before they started popping up.
    Last edited by the winter tree; 02-19-2021 at 07:47 PM.

I uploaded the albums to CD Baby and they distribute it to streaming and selling services such as Spotify, Apple Music, etc. I tried not to make drastic changes to the songs - some I even left as is. I just wanted to fix a few things that have been bothering me for years. I don't have Bandcamp but will look into it.
    They are also on Amazon.com digital music site, though I had to scroll through several pages before they started popping up.
    Please consider setting up the bandcamp website. From the buyers perspective it is great to be able to listen to the songs beforehand and download music in different formats. Another advantage is it serves like a vault you can access (of course after purchase) any time and with their app you can even listen to the music on the road from there. Not sure I am 100 % correct but do not think Amazon or CD Baby can provide any other format than mp3. Another great feature there, again from the buyers perspective and if the artists chooses to do so, the whole discographies can be bought/downloaded with a significant discount.

Btw, please check your inbox here ... sent you off topic message there.

Just received my copy today from L.E. I only know Nad from his work with Steve Hackett Genesis Revisited: Live at the Royal Albert Hall CD/DVD

I enjoyed my first listen, especially 'The Hawk" … Huh, a little surprise at the end ….

Second listen … I like the textural keyboards and orchestral feel … some places sound a little like Squackett to me … Tony Levin basswork … I like it!
    Last edited by bigbassdrum; 05-12-2021 at 04:00 PM.
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

I know this is about Nad’s new release, which I should have tomorrow, but I’m also a big Winter Tree fan! Mr Sun is the last one I got. I’m old school and really love the CD format. Any plans to release any more in that format?
    So much music....so little time....

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    I know this is about Nad’s new release, which I should have tomorrow, but I’m also a big Winter Tree fan! Mr Sun is the last one I got. I’m old school and really love the CD format. Any plans to release any more in that format?
    Unfortunately I can no longer afford to release CDs. I would love to release all my albums on vinyl but that of course is even more expensive! I released an album after Mr. Sun called Topaz Islands Dreaming that is still available on CD from either me or Synphonic.

Unfortunately I can no longer afford to release CDs. I would love to release all my albums on vinyl but that of course is even more expensive! I released an album after Mr. Sun called Topaz Islands Dreaming that is still available on CD from either me or Synphonic.
    I feel very fortunate to have most if not all of the Winter Tree music on CD, even the early stuff like Guardians with Mark&Deb.
    It's a shame about no more CDs.
    I agree with the suggestion of setting up a Bandcamp page and releasing your catalog there. Uploading to WAV, Flac, etc, then folks can download them after purchasing at the highest quality.
    I even have a Bandcamp page, and it's incredibly easy to set up and maintain, and if you have PayPal, they handle everything for you.
    Your original artwork, credits page can download with the purchase.
    Folks can preview entire tracks 3 times, purchase individual tracks at a price you name, or the whole album
    CD Baby no longer sells music, at least that's my understanding.
    I looked them up after Sean's interview with Christopher North from Ambrosia, and his cds were no longer available there(and he didn't know that when he talked with Sean).
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

Hey Look! My NADS just dropped on my front porch! (CD+LP)

GO NAD!

3D09257A-C4E2-48F0-B2A7-A8D11E5494CD.jpg
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

My CD copy just arrived in the mail yesterday. I fell asleep last night before I could listen to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I feel very fortunate to have most if not all of the Winter Tree music on CD, even the early stuff like Guardians with Mark&Deb.
    It's a shame about no more CDs.
    I agree with the suggestion of setting up a Bandcamp page and releasing your catalog there. Uploading to WAV, Flac, etc, then folks can download them after purchasing at the highest quality.
    I even have a Bandcamp page, and it's incredibly easy to set up and maintain, and if you have PayPal, they handle everything for you.
    Your original artwork, credits page can download with the purchase.
    Folks can preview entire tracks 3 times, purchase individual tracks at a price you name, or the whole album
    CD Baby no longer sells music, at least that's my understanding.
    I looked them up after Sean's interview with Christopher North from Ambrosia, and his cds were no longer available there(and he didn't know that when he talked with Sean).
    Thanks for the tip, I will look into it!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post

GO NAD!
    Hey, Scrotum Scissor, we need you over here!
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

If you're not that familiar with Bandcamp, listen to Top Cat. I think it would be worth the time to set up your music there, especially with the album with Nad just released.
    "Actually, throughout my life, my two greatest assets have been mental stability and being, like, really smart...not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!"

Hi Andy. We have already touched on it and hope the thread will convince you to make the older recordings available on the bandcamp platform. If you ever think about a new album from the Winter Tree, and without forking the money up front, perhaps the crowdfunding is the answer? It seems there are quite a few fans here, including myself

Just got the Spiritus Mundi CD but haven't had the time to spin it yet. It was great though to see the inscription from Nad giving Andy, and deservedly so, a lot of credit for the album

GO NAD!

Love your gargoyle. I also have one protecting my front door.

Thank you for everyone for recommending Band camp! I signed up and will get my stuff on there soon.

https://thewintertree1.bandcamp.com/

My first 2 albums are up on Bandcamp. Thanks again for the suggestions.

GO NAD!

That took balls!
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Looks good!

Could you elaborate a bit more on the changes with the ones you have posted? Some seem to have fewer tracks and others (Sandman) changed title and more tracks? Obviously these are albums released under Magus name, but with new cover art. What would convince someone to get these, if they already have these Magus albums on CD? Are these merely remasters or totally revamped (remixed etc.) albums?

Listened yesterday to the entire album for the first time and without breaks. It sounds great as a whole and really reminds a bit of Cat Stevens's best, even more so than Dave Cousins from my comment on The Fisherman video. And by no means it is a negative thing here. Listened without the text in front of me, so it will be the next step that I am pretty sure will increase even more my appreciation of this album.
    Last edited by PCMusic; 05-16-2021 at 04:31 PM.

Could you elaborate a bit more on the changes with the ones you have posted? Some seem to have fewer tracks and others (Sandman) changed title and more tracks? Obviously these are albums released under Magus name, but with new cover art. What would convince someone to get these, if they already have these Magus albums on CD? Are these merely remasters or totally revamped (remixed etc.) albums?
    I did little bit of everything when I revised my whole catalog. I was going to almost completely redo the Magus debut (now called The Winter Tree, "Sandman"), but after listening to the original unmastered DAT mixes I realized that the mixes were really good and that it was OK not to have everything perfect. I also added a few tracks that fit in better with that time period. I had a cellist play on the song " Good-bye".

For my second album "Traveller", I cut a bit of fat and added some more textures to the epic RIF. The original album was not mastered properly and this version sounds far superior. I would recommend this version over buying the CD. I would also recommend that with the debut album.

I expanded the Highway 375 EP with a song called " The Last Flight of St.-Ex". I also added another musical piece into the "Dune" section. This one has been long out of print.

I added my Mr. Sun album today. This one is pretty much the same as the CD version other than track 10 being remixed. If you have the CD there isn't any point in buying the download.

These are the ones I have up now. Many more titles to be added later.

I did little bit of everything when I revised my whole catalog. I was going to almost completely redo the Magus debut (now called The Winter Tree, "Sandman"), but after listening to the original unmastered DAT mixes I realized that the mixes were really good and that it was OK not to have everything perfect. I also added a few tracks that fit in better with that time period. I had a cellist play on the song " Good-bye".

For my second album "Traveller", I cut a bit of fat and added some more textures to the epic RIF. The original album was not mastered properly and this version sounds far superior. I would recommend this version over buying the CD. I would also recommend that with the debut album.

I expanded the Highway 375 EP with a song called " The Last Flight of St.-Ex". I also added another musical piece into the "Dune" section. This one has been long out of print.

I added my Mr. Sun album today. This one is pretty much the same as the CD version other than track 10 being remixed. If you have the CD there isn't any point in buying the download.

These are the ones I have up now. Many more titles to be added later.
    Thanks Andy. I think it would be great to add these comments to the bandcamp website, to each of the titles. Information when it was released, under what name and what has been changed/updated would certainly help to avoid any confusion. Btw, I would skip recommendations whether to buy or not a CD version and leave the judgement to a buyer himself. With the info on original releases and the changes to them would certainly justify this.

You have mentioned somewhere before that also the real drums were added. Is it the case for any of the albums already posted?

Thanks Andy. I think it would be great to add these comments to the bandcamp website, to each of the titles. Information when it was released, under what name and what has been changed/updated would certainly help to avoid any confusion. Btw, I would skip recommendations whether to buy or not a CD version and leave the judgement to a buyer himself. With the info on original releases and the changes to them would certainly justify this.

You have mentioned somewhere before that also the real drums were added. Is it the case for any of the albums already posted?
    I added real drums to several songs on the self titled Winter Tree album but I haven't uploaded that one yet.