Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite Queen album?

Your favorite Queen album?

For me it's probably A Night at the Opera, although News of the World and Sheer Heart Attack are close. I don't think those albums are perfect but they have lots of great stuff.
    What's your choice?

Queen II for me.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Queen II for me.
    Probably mine too.
    The first 5 are pretty strong, but a huge drop after that for me.

A Day At The Races

Real tough call for me between Queen II, SHA, and NatO. I like all these about equally. I feel NatO is their best album, but having heard it a zillion times, I think I'd have to go with SHA as my personal favorite. But it's an almost meaningless difference.

Bill

Queen II, by miles.

I unreservedly like the first two. The rot was already setting in on Sheer Heart Attack, but after that, they went off a cliff. Imo.

Sheer Heart Attack, followed by The Works. Two polar opposites in style yet encompass everything I like about the band.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Banned
    Queen II, by a moderate amount over Queen I, then everything else was overplayed and a lot of it underwhelming (following Queen II). Those are the only albums by Queen that I purchased. When they did II it appeared to me that they would go total Prog and eschew the Pop single course, but they went another route instead.

I know this is not a widely shared sentiment, but some of the stuff they did after II is no longer listenable to my ears. Even their "stone cold" classic, "Bohemian Rhapsody", has been played to the point of ad nauseum and it has gotten even more overdone with the movie and such. And then you've got ditties like "Fat Bottomed Girls", "Somebody To Love" and "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" to avoid at all costs.

JAZZ

Queen II and NatO. Sometimes Live Killers.. Love everthing up to and including Jazz.

The eons are closing
    SHA followed by Queen II

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

The Game - Haven't heard it in decades but at the time it seemed like something fresher and newer direction for them.
    I remember tomorrow

News Of The World. Just to be contrarian. Not sure what my favorite Queen album is. I have the first album up through/including NOTW. "News* is a big favorite. It's heavy and quirky in spots.
    Really, the only album in that bunch I don't like that much is ADTR. Too much Freddy, not enough Dr. May. There are 3-4 great songs on it.

NP: Get Down Make Love.

What a heavy, funky, trippy track.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    NP: Get Down Make Love.

What a heavy, funky, trippy track.
    LOL, I'm literally listening to this right now just as I opened this thread. I don't care what other's say, NotW is a very fine album to my ears!

Bill

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    News of the World. I love Don't Stop Me Now and Spread Your Wings. We Will Rock You and We Are the Champions are overplayed (or overheard), but are still great songs. Like all Queen albums, it has a bunch of songs I either don't like or never listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    News of the World. I love Don't Stop Me Now and Spread Your Wings. We Will Rock You and We Are the Champions are overplayed (or overheard), but are still great songs. Like all Queen albums, it has a bunch of songs I either don't like or never listen to.
    Don't Stop Me Now is on Jazz.

I go back and forth between Queen II and A Night at the Opera, but if I'm forced to choose, then it's Queen II. There is both a musical and an emotional depth, breadth, and density to that album that gives it an overall unified feel that A Night at the Opera doesn't quite match.

[QUOTE=SunRunner2 I know this is not a widely shared sentiment, but some of the stuff they did after II is no longer listenable to my ears. Even their "stone cold" classic, "Bohemian Rhapsody", has been played to the point of ad nauseum and it has gotten even more overdone with the movie and such. And then you've got ditties like "Fat Bottomed Girls", "Somebody To Love" and "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" to avoid at all costs.[/QUOTE]

I still love listening to all of those songs. Different strokes...

I guess Queen II is regarded as the band's prog album. I dig it well enough, but it still feels like a bit of a dark horse when compared to the rest of the 70s catalog. I'll be boring and predictable and pick A Night at the Opera, although the debut is really fricking close for me as well.

^ Queen II is not a Prog-Rock album, but it is their best, for many of us.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    News Of The World. Just to be contrarian. Not sure what my favorite Queen album is. I have the first album up through/including NOTW. "News* is a big favorite. It's heavy and quirky in spots.
    Really, the only album in that bunch I don't like that much is ADTR. Too much Freddy, not enough Dr. May. There are 3-4 great songs on it.
    Its Late...

nuff said :thumb:

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I'd go with Sheer Heart Attack. I love the first two as well.

I considered picking best of the 70s and best of the 80s but the 80s ones are all of the same ilk, so it's hard to say one is better than the rest for that decade. Innuendo is where they sort of got things back on a more grand scale that the best 70s albums were at. Sorta....

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    JAZZ
    Probably still my fave, even if I will always have a soft spot for the debut

really not big a fan about the pastiche tracks of the Sheer Opera Races, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Don't Stop Me Now is on Jazz.
    amongst many other excellent tracks

The way I see it:
    +/- tied :Queen debut, Jazz, II

big (not hot) space

Attack,
    News (despite a return of the harder rocking stuff)
    small space
    Opera,
    Races,

Innuendo,

the 80's crap.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.