Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best (or new) albums of 2021 - so far....

Best (or new) albums of 2021 - so far....

First 2021-released album worthy of notice (pour moi, of course)

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The very best music coming out this year will decidedly be in established genres and by artists with whom I'm already safely acquainted.

New names and genres only serve to stir up and challenge things in my head, and I'm way passed that necessity and possibility now. I'm getting old and in need of comfort.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

That Thollot album was my first purchase of the year, too. Liking it. Checking out the Brisbaye now.

Edit: Brisbaye doesn't seem very comfortable so far. Uh oh!

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Brisbaye doesn't seem very comfortable so far. Uh oh!
    [don't tell Spunky Scissors]
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

That Brisbaye goes on the shopping list for next bc friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    [don't tell Spunky Scissors]
    You misunderstood me, Steve. The important thing is that something somehow -reminds- me of something that I know from past experience. Thereby I can only speculate in how the given artist secretly and/or unconsciously has heard and/or can relate to that very same reference and thus in a certain sense communicates with me through confirmative channels of cosmic explanation and so in turn helps me to see and/or find meaning in existence.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    You misunderstood me, Steve.
    You forgot to say 'again' !!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

^ I can dig, man. You need touchstones to help keep you grounded, or else you'll float off into the ether.

^^ Everybody always misunderstands me "again", like.

Best upcoming? Does this perhaps equal 'most anticipated'? I suspect the whole thing depends on to which extent the pandemic withers and something remotely resembling cultural life actually gets to revitalize here in the West.

Until recently we had a thriving live scene and a seriously creative musical body here in Norway, not only in the capital but all over. And now there's limbo totale. The prognosis is a basic "reopening" of major rooms and theatres of artistic expression by the time of summer at the earliest. And while I'm sure there'll be interesting issues and stuff before that (Trond G. is releasing his third Suburban Savages album, Demagogue Days on Apollon Records on the third of March, for instance), things won't truly come back to life until there's a possibility to perform music for an audience here.

Also, Genesis and Yes are apparently reforming this year.

The Besnard Lakes Are The Last Of The Great Thunderstorm Warnings

The new LP from The Besnard Lakes is a winner. If Brian Wilson had joined Pink Floyd instead of DG.
    The Prog Corner

Hedvig Mollestad Trio: Ding Dong. You´re Dead. (LP/CD) 3/19/21 date. Will get this.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Hedvig Mollestad Trio: Ding Dong. You´re Dead. (LP/CD) 3/19/21 date. Will get this.
    So will I
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I hope this is more generally available then HM's previous album.

But yes...I'm interested as well!
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

New Needlepoint album Walking Up That Valley is the best 2021 album I have so far heard. Not a masterpiece but very pleasant retro/canterbury. And probably the best Needlepoint album.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    New Needlepoint album Walking Up That Valley is the best 2021 album I have so far heard. Not a masterpiece but very pleasant retro/canterbury. And probably the best Needlepoint album.
    Oh, this sounds pretty good (listening on Bandcamp). Mastered by Greg Calbi at Sterling Sound. Now that's a name I used to see a lot, but don't think I've seen in a while. But probably he's kept busy. is he a pretty old guy now?

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Not far from thinking the same

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post

Her/Their albums were available on Bandcamp earlier, but now no. I ordered direct from Rune. Pretty quick and easy. Shipping was not too bad. Will do again.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Her/Their albums were available on Bandcamp earlier, but now no. I ordered direct from Rune. Pretty quick and easy. Shipping was not too bad. Will do again.
    I do perfer to order from america, just to keep shipping to a point where I'm not essentially buying another album just to pay for shipping. I've never tried to order directly from Rune, so maybe I'll go through the motions to see what shipping will cost.

I do perfer to order from america, just to keep shipping to a point where I'm not essentially buying another album just to pay for shipping. I've never tried to order directly from Rune, so maybe I'll go through the motions to see what shipping will cost.
    The last time I ordered a Rune disk from 'America' ( Amazon.com ), it shipped from the Netherlands. Free shipping, though. Pretty quick, after the shipping notification.
    -- Aristotle

my two picks (so far)

Greetings,

My picks (so far):

Lyle Workman - Uncommon Measures: https://www.bluecanoerecords.com/uncommon_measures.html
    Daniel Weiss - DIVE: https://danielweiss.bandcamp.com/album/dive-3

Cheers,

Alan

Loving the new ones from Soen and Transatlantic. I really need to check out the new Needlepoint then, eh?
    The Prog Corner

The last time I ordered a Rune disk from 'America' ( Amazon.com ), it shipped from the Netherlands. Free shipping, though. Pretty quick, after the shipping notification.
    I've also ordered RG discs from wayside before. I guess I really don't care where they actually ship from (they are all coming over from Europe one way or another), I just don't want to pay as assload for shipping. Maybe I've just been ordering too much from bandcamp/discogs of late.

Haven't heard much yet, but so far the standout is this:

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

They have a couple of singles from it on Spotify.