Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Best (or new) albums of 2021 - so far....

Manna/Mirage - Man Out Of Time

Dave Newhouse of The Muffins and various others - Guy Segers - Fred Frith - Dereck Higgins - Sean Rickman - etc Due out in a couple days I think

https://davenewhouse.bandcamp.com/

Thus far i've enjoyed these...don't care about genre much these days:

Steven Wilson - The Future Bites
    Wynton Marsalis - The Democracy! Suite
    Sevish - Bubble
    Juan Bond - Womb
    Merzbow - Mukomodulator
    Wolf Circus - Telephone Dreams
    R.A.P. Ferreia - Bobs Son
    Dealers of God - Visions of Fuel
    Azmari - Samāī
    Arlo Parks - Collapsed In Sunbeams
    Diego Pinera - Odd Wisdom
    Madlib - Sound Ancestors
    King Gizzard & Lizard Wizard - L.W.
    Bicep - Isles
    Fred Frith - A Mountain Doesnt Know Its Tall
    The Weather Station - Ignorance
    Pom Poko - Cheater
    Foo Fighters - Medicine at Midnight
    Sturle Dagsland - Sturle Dagsland
    Tomahawk - Tonic Immobility
    Liquid Tension Experiment - 3
    Stephan Thelan - Fractured Guitar 2
    Nik Bartsch - Entendre
    Genghis Tron - Dream Weapon
    Cabaret Voltaire - Shadow of Funk
    GYBE - G_ds Pee...
    Fievel Is Glauque - Gods Trashmen...
    Joe Lovano - Garden of Expression
    Armand Hammer - Haram
    Shame - Drunk Tank Pink
    The Mars Volta - Landscape Tantrums
    Moral Collapse - Moral Collapse
    Mon Laferte - Seis
    Pat Metheny - Road To The Sun
    A.C.T. - Heatwave
    City Light Mosaic - Restless Ego
    Lost Girls - Menneskekollektivet
    Sugar Wounds - Calico Dreams
    Underscores - Fishmonger
    Prefuse 73 - The Failing Institute of Drums and Other Percussion
    Black Swan - Repetition Hymns
    Blindfolded And Led To The Woods - Nightmare Withdrawals
    Michael Formanek - Imperfect Measures
    Naked Flames - 247 365
    Coaltar of the Deepers - Revenge of the Visitors
    His Name Is Alive - Hope Is A Candle
    Of Montreal - I Feel Safe With You, Trash
    Your Old Droog & Tha God Fahim - Tha YOD Fahim
    Pinegrove - Amperland, NY
    Counting Crows - Butter Miracle Suite One
    Skin Tension - Machinic Impulses of The Hyperreal
    Sun Kil Moon - Lunch In The Park
    Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - New Fragility
    Otay : Onii - Ming Ming
    Iglooghost - Lei Line Eon
    Ghostfuneral - The Nomad
    Skee Mask - Pool
    Xiu Xiu - Oh No
    black midi - Cavalcade
    Liquid Sound Company - Psychoactive Songs for the Psoul
    Sylvan - One To Zero
    Bruno Pernadas - Private Reasons
    Knoll - Interstice
    Frost* - Day And Age
    Jacob Bro - Uma Elmo
    Solstice - Food For Thought
    John Patitucci - Trio
    Perfect Angels - Exit From The Ultra-World
    William Parker - Migration of Silence
    John McLaughlin - Liberation Time
    Jack O The Clock - Leaving California
    Yes - The Quest
    Emma-Jean Thackray - Yellow

So far this year:

Dewa Budjana - Naurora
    Eyesberg - Claustraphobia
    Neal Morse Band - Innocence and Danger
    Cast - Vigesimus
    Styx =- Crash Of The Crown
    Transatlantic - Absolute Universe -( Bit disappointing)
    The Samurai of Prog - Lady & The Lion
    The Samurai of Prog - The White Snake
    Frost - Day & Age
    Caligonaut - Magnified As Giants
    Emerald Dawn - To Touch The Sky
    Jordsjo - Pastoralia
    Ciccada - Harvest
    Raven Sad - The Leaf & The Wing
    Kerr's Pink - Presence of Life
    Anthony Kalugin - Stellar Gardener
    DBA - Halcyon Hymns

Some still on the wants list

Evership - The Uncrowned King - Act 1
    Big Big Train - Common Groud
    Acolyte - Entropy
    Sylvan - One To Zero
    Meer - Playing House
    Ske - Insolubulia
    leprous - Aphelion
    Lifesigns - Altitude
    Bend The Future - Without Notice
    Coevaility - Multiple Personalities
    Kayak -Out of This World
    Nad Sylvan - Spiritus Mundi
    Adam Nitti - Never heard of this guy but the reviews of his material seem very promising -

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    2019 for their previous album (Ofel), but Hoodna Orchestra is planning three releases EP in 2021

their first EP Alem Alem:

Thanks for the heads up, I am from Israel and haven't heard of them!

Best (or new) albums of 2021 - so far....

This one has just been released: Injury Reserve - By The Time I Get To Phoenix.

An experimental hip hop album with progressive edges. A must listen for the open minded progressive ears visitor.

https://injuryreserve.bandcamp.com/a...get-to-phoenix
    Last edited by karel hupj; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:53 PM.

Marriage Material
    Last edited by Shadow; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:47 PM.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchentootz View Post
    Manna/Mirage - Man Out Of Time

Dave Newhouse of The Muffins and various others - Guy Segers - Fred Frith - Dereck Higgins - Sean Rickman - etc Due out in a couple days I think

https://davenewhouse.bandcamp.com/
    In my opinion, possibly the only artist of the 70's whose powers haven't waned at all in our days. Another fantastic record.

Angel Ontalva - Angel on a Tower

2021 feels like an off year for me, at least it seems like there is less music that would cross my path that I would be naturally attracted to. But here is my top list "so far"...

1. Jordsj - Pastoralia (My initial listen didn't hit me like Nattfiolen did, but it has grown on me and I feel is just one notch below it)
    2. Stereolab - Electrically Possessed (Don't usually put comps here, but this collection of lesser known tracks from '99-'09 is top notch)
    3. Neal Morse Band - Innocence & Danger (I keep buying Morse albums because some of them rise above the others. This is one of them)
    4. Steven Wilson - The Future Bites (This album got quite a bit of flack, but the music is catchy and appeals to my pop sensibilities. It's also a grower)
    5. Agusa - En Annan Vrld (Very much Agusa, but I can't remember much of it - in a good way. So each time I listen, it's like enjoying it again for the first time)
    6. Elephant9 - Arrival of the New Elders (another kick butt release from E9, and fresh in that it comes from a different angle)
    7. Krokofant - Fifth (not to be outdone, Krokofant's new one is perhaps their best behind Q)
    8. Needlepoint - Walking up That Valley (Could be their best? Canterbury goodness)
    9. Styx - Crash of the Crown (A decent step down from The Mission for me, but still much better than most of their work since 1981)
    10. Ske - Insolubilia (Really creative album that requires several listens. This will likely go up the chart with time)
    11. Transatlantic - The Absolute Universe - Forevermore (The extended version is much better for me, in all its excess. It's a better TA album than the last and more accessible than Whirlwind)
    12. Big Big Train - Common Ground (I found myself more attached to this album than their last 3 or 4. It deserves more listens)
    13. Ciccada - Harvest (Very pleasant album and surprise that it was released. It has a Harmonium vibe)
    14. Dave Holland/Robin Eubanks/Obed Calvaire - Another Land (Holland still cranks out quality albums. This is no exception and steers heavily in the fusion vein)
    15. William Parker - Mayan Space Station (A free jazz guitar trio record - odd for Parker, that would appeal to free rock fans)
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    2021 feels like an off year for me, at least it seems like there is less music that would cross my path that I would be naturally attracted to. But here is my top list "so far"...

1. Jordsj - Pastoralia (My initial listen didn't hit me like Nattfiolen did, but it has grown on me and I feel is just one notch below it)
    2. Stereolab - Electrically Possessed (Don't usually put comps here, but this collection of lesser known tracks from '99-'09 is top notch)
    3. Neal Morse Band - Innocence & Danger (I keep buying Morse albums because some of them rise above the others. This is one of them)
    4. Steven Wilson - The Future Bites (This album got quite a bit of flack, but the music is catchy and appeals to my pop sensibilities. It's also a grower)
    5. Agusa - En Annan Vrld (Very much Agusa, but I can't remember much of it - in a good way. So each time I listen, it's like enjoying it again for the first time)
    6. Elephant9 - Arrival of the New Elders (another kick butt release from E9, and fresh in that it comes from a different angle)
    7. Krokofant - Fifth (not to be outdone, Krokofant's new one is perhaps their best behind Q)
    8. Needlepoint - Walking up That Valley (Could be their best? Canterbury goodness)
    9. Styx - Crash of the Crown (A decent step down from The Mission for me, but still much better than most of their work since 1981)
    10. Ske - Insolubilia (Really creative album that requires several listens. This will likely go up the chart with time)
    11. Transatlantic - The Absolute Universe - Forevermore (The extended version is much better for me, in all its excess. It's a better TA album than the last and more accessible than Whirlwind)
    12. Big Big Train - Common Ground (I found myself more attached to this album than their last 3 or 4. It deserves more listens)
    13. Ciccada - Harvest (Very pleasant album and surprise that it was released. It has a Harmonium vibe)
    14. Dave Holland/Robin Eubanks/Obed Calvaire - Another Land (Holland still cranks out quality albums. This is no exception and steers heavily in the fusion vein)
    15. William Parker - Mayan Space Station (A free jazz guitar trio record - odd for Parker, that would appeal to free rock fans)
    Wow, this gives me much opportunity to explore 2021's releases right from my computer desktop. Lot's of interesting stuff and most of it appears to be up my alley, taste-wise. Thanks for the post, PY.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post

We have these in common so far. Rounding out my top 10 as it stands here in October is Tusmrke, Resistor, Peter Hammill, Aki Rissanen, Auri and Bernardo Lanzetti. But I expect minor changes by year's end.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Looks like some exploration is due - one of the beauties of streaming services. Funny, that was supposed to kill the industry and instead I've bought more music from new exciting artists than I did before I made the leap.

I might have missed it in the massive lists above, but if it's missing I'd throw in Isildurs Bane & Hammil: In Disequilibrium. Also I had Sparks A Steady Drip, Drip, Drip in rotation for quite a while. How do they do it? Some dinosaurs that might have recently put out a disk should take notice.

I've never warmed up to Big Big Train even though on paper I should love them. And I certainly love and respect David Gregory (well, he gone now) and Rikard Sjblom (feel kind of bad for the rest of Beardfish though...) but for such an "emotional" band always come off as a bit clinical to me. Oh well. Elephant9 is another that seems to have found their muse again, same with Of Montreal. Kevin seems to hit me every second or third, I still think Gay Parade is a top 100 for me. Poisoned Youth's list comes closest to some of my choices, I love Motorpsycho, but Krokofant is about as far as I go with some of the dissonant stuff. I'm not so sure they're moving forward, but certainly honing their craft. TBH, I've also never warmed up much to some of the Math rock and RIO, but I'm old and get off of my lawn. Then again, I saw Fred Frith for his Gravity tour... so I guess I'm just easily confused.

Ske is another winner. Insolubilia hasn't hit me quite the same as 1000 Autunni, but I've also lived with that one for a lot longer. I wouldn't have known Of Montreal had a new one until it popped up on my Tidal streaming. Which leads me to OT/ has anybody noticed All Music is getting awful? They seem to be losing or deleting things that were there, such as disks, chronological order - even entire bands. Saving pixels?

One more I didn't see above but too new for me to comment on yet (disk just arrived from pre-order last week) is Three Colours Dark Love's Lost Property. I enjoyed Science of Goodbye, this seems to be a step forward. Also kudos for being brave enough to not offer singles from the disk. Also Tony Kaye End of Innocence, sombre subject matter but some interesting ideas. Certainly piques my interest more than the other new album with a Roger Dean cover.

I am loving the new Alco Frisbass LP. It's more on the Canterbury side of things, with the usual Gentle Giant and Yes touches. All done with French finesse and joyful spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I am loving the new Alco Frisbass LP. It's more on the Canterbury side of things, with the usual Gentle Giant and Yes touches. All done with French finesse and joyful spirit.
    Did not know they had a new one out! I will certainly include this in my next bc purchase

https://alcofrisbass.bandcamp.com/al...du-gue-pucelle

In my opinion, possibly the only artist of the 70's whose powers haven't waned at all in our days. Another fantastic record.
    Agreed bigtime. Dave is in constant motion and I am lucky that I get to make all his art. He's such a great and humble friend. Class act - and yeah - he's still loaded to the gills with creativity - Jerry King and him with some others are about done with another MOON MEN album too - check those out. Jerry is a fab bass player and musician as well. https://davenewhouse.bandcamp.com/al...-space-pirates
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Listening now. I see Jean-Luc Payssan guests on one track.

The sweet smell of Afghanistan rewards a long days toil.

Although it chokes me to buy downloads, I may have to give in for that Frisbass album.
    15 Cuban minutes
    Can get lost in the fog
    Life's a test, just do your best
    Like a three-legged dog

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Although it chokes me to buy downloads, I may have to give in for that Frisbass album.
    They have said that they'll do a CD if the downloads are successful. But that always makes me wonder, if a small, niche-market band has already seen a chunk of their sales through digital downloads, isn't that cutting in to how many physical discs would sell? I'm not sure.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    They have said that they'll do a CD if the downloads are successful. But that always makes me wonder, if a small, niche-market band has already seen a chunk of their sales through digital downloads, isn't that cutting in to how many physical discs would sell? I'm not sure.
    It'd make more sense in some ways to issue a CD if the download isn't successful...
    your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat

Bandcamp Profile

Too many to keep up with. The Watch, Ske, Summer Salt, Mild High Club, Ciccada, Far Caspian and Yes I'm finding all to be enjoyable. And the Frisbass I'm now excited to get as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Too many to keep up with. The Watch, Ske, Summer Salt, Mild High Club, Ciccada, Far Caspian and Yes I'm finding all to be enjoyable. And the Frisbass I'm now excited to get as well.
    I've got several of those as well, and am enjoying them all. In fact, I've got the new one by The Watch playing on my turntable right now. My LP order from Laser's Edge was dropped off a couple days ago.

That remake of "The Fisherman" is so cool.

The Frisbass sounds interesting, so I'm bookmarking it for later.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Careful. This is the first step that leads to the dark side...

Neil

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Listening to the Caligonaut album for the first time in a while. It’s top 10 for sure!

The sweet smell of Afghanistan rewards a long days toil.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I've got several of those as well, and am enjoying them all. In fact, I've got the new one by The Watch playing on my turntable right now. My LP order from Laser's Edge was dropped off a couple days ago.

That remake of "The Fisherman" is so cool.

The Frisbass sounds interesting, so I'm bookmarking it for later.
    Yes I really love that remake! Also the song before it (ends in licht) the 2nd half scratched an itch I forgot I had Really, really well done and perhaps my favorite album overall by them. They finally have an instrumental! I always thought they needed more instrumental passages. I actually skipped the last 2 Watch albums, but this one came highly recommended. Yeah, the Frisbass has me excited to hear!!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Careful. This is the first step that leads to the dark side...

Neil
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.