Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Fernando Tatis, Jr. signs a monster 14-year, $340M contract with the Padres.

When his contract is over, the Mets will still owe Bobby Bonilla one year.
    https://www.aol.com/sports/fernando-...000100536.html
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

It may also be worth wondering why the Padres weren't paying for their No. 4 prospect to get the training and nutrition he wanted, but let's face it, we all know the answer there. MLB teams will fight tooth and nail to avoid giving their least powerful employees more than the bare minimum, and giving a guy like Tatis the resources he wants would be an admission to them, not an investment.
    When the revolution comes, team sports owners and their minions will definitely be lined up against the wall.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Baseball is the only sport where I refuse to take a side in the various disputes between owners and players.

They are both endlessly combative and unwilling to deliberate equitable solutions. Neither side should be looked at with anything but a skunk-eye. If you doubt that, if you think baseball's problems all stem from ownership or the commish's office, just ask yourself who fought tooth and nail to avoid PED testing for thirty plus years.

I LOVE baseball, but labor and owners are both petulant children fighting for ground neither really needs but which neither is willing to concede. (I'm grossly hyperbolizing and I know it; the smaller players, particularly minor leaguers, are royally getting fucked and have no voice--but, of course, the players let that happen, don't they?)
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I am on the players' side 99% of the time, but you make some excellent points, Matt.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The eons are closing
    ^To give to the 'bottom' you must take something from the 'top'

And those top players are just another same slice of society.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Baseball is the only sport where I refuse to take a side in the various disputes between owners and players.

They are both endlessly combative and unwilling to deliberate equitable solutions. Neither side should be looked at with anything but a skunk-eye. If you doubt that, if you think baseball's problems all stem from ownership or the commish's office, just ask yourself who fought tooth and nail to avoid PED testing for thirty plus years.

I LOVE baseball, but labor and owners are both petulant children fighting for ground neither really needs but which neither is willing to concede. (I'm grossly hyperbolizing and I know it; the smaller players, particularly minor leaguers, are royally getting fucked and have no voice--but, of course, the players let that happen, don't they?)
    +1
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post

After reading Bud Selig's autobiography recently it gave me a different perspective on many of the disputes in baseball. As Extreme once said, there are 3 sides to every story, yours, mine, and the truth.

I also read "Game Of Shadows" which I never read back in the day when it came out. I would highly recommend both books as they are very interesting.

Listened to my first Spring training game today. Meaningless result, but hearing that crack of the bat and fans in the stands restarts my heart.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

On Thursday, MLB announced a bunch of experimental rule changes that will be tested in the minor leagues this year. The most notable was in Class AA: Teams will be required to “have a minimum of four players on the infield, each of whom must have both feet completely in front of the outer boundary of the infield dirt.”

That would mean teams like the Rays would not be able to use a fourth outfielder as they do against hitters from time to time. MLB also said that, based on first-half results, it may require teams to position two infielders on either side of second base during the second half of the AA season.

The experimentation is part of MLB’s on-going attempt to appeal to younger fans by addressing pace of play and creating more action on the field.

Among the other rules being tested out is larger bases in Triple-A, for safety reasons and to encourage more base stealing. In low-A ball they will try to limit pickoff attempts with a rule requiring pitchers to step off first, plus the automatic strike zone or robot umpire.

Fantasy league on Yahoo that has been partially taken over by PE needs a new member.

The Big Splat, running since 2004, and with defending champion NogbadTheBad, has had an owner drop out three days before the draft (boo). Poisoned Youth and I are also members, along with some other prog fans who don't post here that often.

It's a head-to-head 10-team league with 7x7 categories and 7 keepers per year (if you join before the draft we can make sure you get your keepers).

PM me if interested!

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    On Thursday, MLB announced a bunch of experimental rule changes that will be tested in the minor leagues this year. The most notable was in Class AA: Teams will be required to “have a minimum of four players on the infield, each of whom must have both feet completely in front of the outer boundary of the infield dirt.”

That would mean teams like the Rays would not be able to use a fourth outfielder as they do against hitters from time to time. MLB also said that, based on first-half results, it may require teams to position two infielders on either side of second base during the second half of the AA season.

The experimentation is part of MLB’s on-going attempt to appeal to younger fans by addressing pace of play and creating more action on the field.
    Awful.

Among the other rules being tested out is larger bases in Triple-A, for safety reasons and to encourage more base stealing.
    Probably a good idea.

In low-A ball they will try to limit pickoff attempts with a rule requiring pitchers to step off first,
    Dumb.

plus the automatic strike zone or robot umpire.
    AWESOME.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

^^ I knew you'd like that last one, Scott.

I though pitchers already had to step off the rubber before throwing to first.

One week from tomorrow - I yearn for the sight of a green field
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    One week from tomorrow - I yearn for the sight of a green field
    +1,000,000

I though pitchers already had to step off the rubber before throwing to first.
    No, they don't. Just look at most left-hander's moves to first.

The eons are closing
    Just now (1130pm) - reported Lindor signed 10yr deal at $340+ million w/ Mets

PLAY BALL!

^^

Happy Opening Day, boys!

(Not so fast, Baltimore and Boston fans)

No Opening Day for you either, Mets & Nats fans.

The eons are closing
    Doh! Stupid 'Natinals'

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/SkeM...5230.jpg.0.jpg

O's and Blows postponed
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Miggy hits a home run in a blizzard in Detroit this afternoon:

Twins have a lead and...the bullpen shits the bed. We passed on signing a lights out reliever.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Just now (1130pm) - reported Lindor signed 10yr deal at $340+ million w/ Mets
    Not a Met fan by any stretch, but these mega contracts can sink a team. Hello Baltimore. Lindor has traded his average for power, great fielder. We shall see.