Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 31373839404142 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,025 of 1029

Thread: MLB 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Glad the Yanks didn't sign him.
    Me, too, actually. They need to stop the high-risk signings.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Max Scherzer to the Mets for three years at $130 million.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Seagar to Texas.

Ray to Mariners.

Freddie to …
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Max Scherzer to the Mets for three years at $130 million.
    Holy Shit! There is ridiculous and then there is this. Thats about $1.3 MM per start. Last year he averaged 6 innings per start. About $245,000 an inning! Mets have a long history of not doing well with their free agent signings. Just look at shortstop for an example. We shall see.
    Last edited by Tangram; 11-29-2021 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Holy Shit! There is ridiculous and then there is this. Thats about $1.3 MM per start. Last year he averaged 6 innings per start. About $245,000 an inning! Mets have a long history of not doing well with their free agent signings. Just look at shortstop for an example. We shall see.
    more than $10k per pitch

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Seagar to Texas.

Ray to Mariners.

Freddie to …
    Ray has been an up and down his whole career and 10 years for Seagar? Haven't seen one of these 10 year deals work out. Texas on the hook for over a half a billion in 3 signings. What is the Vegas line on which year they start selling?

And suddenly Bryce Harper is underpaid.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The Tigers make another nice free agent move. I'm telling you folks, this team is going to be playoff level next year: https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/MLB/...5101638327084/

These salaries are out of control

These salaries are out of control
    And a lockout is coming.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The door shuts today for the crazy deals. And then the negotiations get brutal. Get ready for a protracted struggle, hopefully it won't bleed into spring training.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Let them go out. It will be a while before fans come back. They have normalized $30 MM salaries and $100+ tickets etc and can’t figure out how to split billons. BuhBye, I’ll find something else to do

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Well it doesn't affect the fans until spring training. They seem determined to kill the sport
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Just remember that during any sports labor issue, the players are never the bad guys.

Case in point.
    Last edited by Scott Bails; 12-02-2021 at 08:46 AM.

^^ Manfred's letter defines "disingenuous."

Apparently, MLB also was using BOTH the juiced and un-juiced balls last year, claiming the players knew it. But, the players union states they never knew.

MLB has removed all players' likenesses from their site (which I believe they're required to do, legally) but also has removed all games from mlb.com, despite still collecting the subscription fees.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    When the last work stoppage happened, the www was really not in common use yet, and the mlb.com domain was owned by the law firm "Morgan, Lewis & Bockius". I wonder how much Bud Selig had to shell out to acquire that?

What a sport!

This is all just melodrama folks. It's like everything else that is going on - politicize, exploit people's base emotions and instincts, draw it out, and point fingers. Wake me up when the deal is made. No sense in getting worked up about it.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

The Sox had some wild moves in the last week. Wacha, Rich Hill, Paxton, and now the trade for JBJ back. It's a little confusing and unconventional, but I'll trust them to make the most of it. I figure 2023 is where bigger moves might happen.

I figure the JBJ trade opens the door for Schwarber's return or perhaps Kris Bryant. And you can't rule out a 1B play to guys like Freeman and Rizzo.

It's also worth noting that just about every top FA pitcher was signed before the Dec. 1 deadline. Besides trading for arms, the top remaining FAs are Kershaw (likely back to LA or to the Rangers), Greinke (not what he used to be, maybe back to the Astros), Kikuchi (apparently had a few offers in hand), and Rodon (intriguing, but the late injury may really hurt him).

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    When the last work stoppage happened, the www was really not in common use yet, and the mlb.com domain was owned by the law firm "Morgan, Lewis & Bockius". I wonder how much Bud Selig had to shell out to acquire that?
    Good domains cost a fortune. I believe Colorado paid $100k for rockies.com. I've seen domain prices in that range while trying to help clients.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    The Sox had some wild moves in the last week. Wacha, Rich Hill, Paxton, and now the trade for JBJ back. It's a little confusing and unconventional, but I'll trust them to make the most of it. I figure 2023 is where bigger moves might happen.

I figure the JBJ trade opens the door for Schwarber's return or perhaps Kris Bryant. And you can't rule out a 1B play to guys like Freeman and Rizzo.
    JBJ batted a paltry .162 last year. Here's hoping that continues.

Freeman isn't going anywhere. I somewhat expect (but hope not) that Rizzo resigns with NY. Fans are not happy with that front office.

Apparently, MLB also was using BOTH the juiced and un-juiced balls last year, claiming the players knew it. But, the players union states they never knew.
    Whether they were actually told or not, I'm sure the players could figure it out.

Good hire by the Mets. They now seem to have plenty of good cards in their hand.

For the record, I have not rooted for the Mets since 1969 and I'm still waiting for my sister's boyfriend to pay me the $100 we bet on the World Series. Granted, I was only eight years old and knew nothing about baseball. But I did choose the winning team.