Page 28 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2021

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    There’s an article in this week’s New Yorker about this very topic:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...-robot-umpires

I haven’t had a chance to read it yet, so I can’t comment.
    That is one long article, mostly anecdotes and very little about the technology. I gave up after about 20 paragraphs and came away with virtually nothing. The writer doesn't quite know the strike zone rule, either.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

^I thought it was a nice narrative. Definitely anecdotal, but I wasn't expecting a Fangraphs-style deep-dive into numbers and technology. It was good to hear how everyone from big shots (Bill James, "Country" Joe West) to bit players (Armando Gallaraga, players on a beer-league team in Jersey) viewed the issue. (I should note I have a high tolerance for the New Yorker's brand of journalism and am a loyal subscriber.)

I am certainly conflicted on the subject, but I think the exacting perfection of robo-umps is an overreaction to a hyperbolized boogey-man of a problem. I think I'd rather live with the occasional bad call (few are egregiously bad) than have synthetic perfection. But, then again, I've never watched a game robo-umped, so who knows.

I'm sure we'll find out sooner rather than later . . .
    Last edited by polmico; 08-28-2021 at 01:06 PM.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I'm inclined to agree with Joe Torre's quote. Imperfection is a part of the game. But I will state that it should only be to some degree and the umpires need more accountability. People like Laz Diaz shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a baseball stadium, much less calling balls and strikes.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Imperfection is a part of the game.
    I hate this attitude - with anything.

Yes, just about everything is imperfect, but I'd rather see them strive towards perfection than accepting what they have now. It's just lazy, IMO.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I hate this attitude - with anything.

Yes, just about everything is imperfect, but I'd rather see them strive towards perfection than accepting what they have now. It's just lazy, IMO.
    Sorry you feel that way. Nobody said they shouldn't strive for it, bro. But I do think that the (and here's another phrase you probably don't like) "human element" is an important part of the game. I'd rather see that fixed than replaced with a robot. And, to underscore my main point, that means more accountability for the umpires.

Sorry you feel that way. Nobody said they shouldn't strive for it, bro. But I do think that the (and here's another phrase you probably don't like) "human element" is an important part of the game. I'd rather see that fixed than replaced with a robot. And, to underscore my main point, that means more accountability for the umpires.
    As much as I could see this working and eventually accepted by players, AND as much as I am a proponent and/or tolerate changes to the game, a robot strike zone deadens a fundamental spirit of the game IMO
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

It's not easy to catch a team that is ahead of you in the standings and playing the Orioles 12 out of 36 games.

No, know one here is saying they shouldn't strive for it. But they're not striving for it. At all. Which is unacceptable.

And no, I hate "human element."

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    As much as I could see this working and eventually accepted by players, AND as much as I am a proponent and/or tolerate changes to the game, a robot strike zone deadens a fundamental spirit of the game IMO
    Very, very much disagree. Literally nothing is more important than getting the calls correct. Losing a game, or even affecting a game, because of a blown call is absolutely unacceptable.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

No, know one here is saying they shouldn't strive for it. But they're not striving for it. At all. Which is unacceptable.
    Surely the strike zone is more consistently called than it was in the mid-90s, right? Nobody is getting the calls Greg Maddux was regularly and consistently getting.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Surely the strike zone is more consistently called than it was in the mid-90s, right? Nobody is getting the calls Greg Maddux was regularly and consistently getting.
    They stretched the strike zone for Maddux, but I think that was a natural effect from his actual accuracy and his reputation. I don't think anyone in the game today has his pinpoint accuracy. Just like a rookie won't get the strike zone that someone like Mike Trout would get.

This is the whole issue. Humans are naturally fallible, and they have built-in bias. Many argue that, as long as the umpire is consistent with both teams, there's no problem. But it's bigger than that. The strike zone varies from umpire to umpire. So, every night you get a different strike zone. That's ludicrous, to me.

I would much rather they begin and exhaust all serious efforts of accountability before bringing in robots.

Well they would have to change the rule then, because it states that it's based on the stance. I can't see how this would work without sensors on the uniforms.

Altuve and Judge were the ones I was thinking of. And Judge gets sooooomany low balls called as strikes, which shows even the umps cannot seem to adjust.
    They changed the rule book strike zone before (after 1968) so no reason they can't change it again. New rules are happening all the time. Some good, some maybe not so good.

I really don't know if current technology allows the K zone to be altered per the batter's size or stance in real time, but that would be key if they are to go with robots.

I guess uniform sensors could be a solution but that just makes me think of the possibility of "sensorgate" happening.

The Mets are pathetic: "Francisco Lindor, Javier Báez and Kevin Pillar were among those Mets players to flash thumbs-down signs after their hits today.

'When we don't get success, we're going to get booed,' Báez explained afterward. 'So they [the fans] are going to get booed when we get success.'"

Mets Thumbs Down.jpg

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Ain't that cute
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The Mets are pathetic: "Francisco Lindor, Javier Báez and Kevin Pillar were among those Mets players to flash thumbs-down signs after their hits today.

'When we don't get success, we're going to get booed,' Báez explained afterward. 'So they [the fans] are going to get booed when we get success.'"

Mets Thumbs Down.jpg
    Now THAT'S how you win them over. I think the fans should all show up with fake money to throw at the players then.

Mets Thumbs Down.jpg
    I really don't think they thought that one through. At least I hope not.

The eons are closing
    <sigh>

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I don't ever remember seeing a player leave the game because of a headache before, until Eduardo Rodriguez took himself out of a game about a month ago, and then last night Wander Franco left because of a headache (in a game where E-Rod was the starter).

What the hell, another week (not counting Thursday) to go until the NFL officially starts, so I'm gonna watch Phillies@Marlins.

Phucking Phillies.....lol

I watched part of an Indians game this afternoon. It was the first time all season. I didn't recognize most of the players on either team, but it was entertaining.

Yankees lost a series to the worst team in baseball. They blew both losses. They have no closer and a manager who can't seem to think outside of the analytics script.

Yankees lost a series to the worst team in baseball. They blew both losses. They have no closer and a manager who can't seem to think outside of the analytics script.
    The O's blew their loss and almost blew the second game. Is it too late to start trying.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Watching TB@BOS. I guess I'm rooting for TB but in general I'm not a AL fan.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Blacked out for me.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.