Page 1 of 42 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2021

MLB 2021

Okay, fans, pitchers and catchers report in less than three weeks.

Let's say goodbye to 2020 baseball and hope for something better in 2021.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The development of the young Tigers with a new manager, is going to be interesting to follow this year as their prospect pipeline is loaded: https://www.mlive.com/tigers/2021/01...re-tigers.html

Arenado is heading to St. Louis. That is some contract to take on for a slugger whose home/road splits are . . . interesting.

He's a great defender. I hope the Cards don't expect an elite slugger's slashline, though. I don't think they'll get it.

And yet, every time an elite player is signed, I keep asking myself, "Do the Braves plan on having Markakis protect Freeman in the line-up?"
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

^^ They will likely find a way to re-sign Ozuna.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    ^^ They will likely find a way to re-sign Ozuna.
    Whew!

Though the Bauer sign will (rightfully) overshadow Ozuna’s signing, this is definitely a big deal and puts the Braves back into the discussion.

Looks like the dumbest rule in decades will be in place again this season. That's having a runner at second to begin the extra innings. So, that means a reliever can do his job by getting the first two batters out and still take a loss.

I cannot think of a dumber rule. Manfred is an idiot.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

With everyone that departed, I hope the A's hang on to their Chapman Stick

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Looks like the dumbest rule in decades will be in place again this season. That's having a runner at second to begin the extra innings. So, that means a reliever can do his job by getting the first two batters out and still take a loss.

Agreed.
    Comparable to the shootout in hockey.

Absolutely awful.

The Phillies have non-roster invited Odubel Hererra back to camp. He's erratic and frustrating to watch as a player, and hasn't played in over 2 years because of a domestic violence charge.

They don't make it easy to root for their team, sometimes....
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Absolutely awful.

The Phillies have non-roster invited Odubel Hererra back to camp. He's erratic and frustrating to watch as a player, and hasn't played in over 2 years because of a domestic violence charge.

They don't make it easy to root for their team, sometimes....
    There's always room in the Bronx for new fans. Then again, they have their own domestic abuser coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Agreed.
    Comparable to the shootout in hockey.
    I like it. But what do I know.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I like it. But what do I know.
    I like the shootout a hell of a lot better than that stupid extra inning rule.

I like the shootout a hell of a lot better than that stupid extra inning rule.
    They both suck. Both involve inept commissioners trying to fix something that isn't broken.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I support:
    - Universal DH (it's been over 40 years now and 2020 worked out fine)
    - 7-inning double headers, same number of games but shorter season with more days off.
    - 12 team playoffs with the 3 game series (better than the 10 team with the "game 163" one-and-done)
    - Consolidating the minors with less teams, less travel time, more direct team development
    - Salary increases for all minor league players (get them out of the sweatshop)
    - Instant replay
    - Steps taken to speed up the game
    - Better pay for pre-Arb players
    - Incentive-laden contracts for the rest
    - Revenue sharing
    - Better care for ex-players

Not fond of:
    - Automatic ball/strikes
    - Tinkering with the baseball
    - Extra inning rule (though it's better than a tie)
    - Teams that game the system so competing needn't be Job #1
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Hmm.....interesting. I'll play along.....

I support:
    - Automatic ball/strikes
    - Instant replay - Anything that removes the "human element" from sports officiating is an improvement
    - Consolidating the minors with less teams, less travel time, more direct team development
    - Steps taken to speed up the game - there are ways to do this, but Manfred doesn't seem willing to do it
    - Incentive-laden contracts for the rest - but only if the incentives involve team wins/success
    - Revenue sharing

Not fond of:
    - 7-inning double headers, same number of games but shorter season with more days off. - No desire for a shorter season.
    - 12 team playoffs with the 3 game series (better than the 10 team with the "game 163" one-and-done), but I agree about the game 163
    - Universal DH (it's been over 40 years now and 2020 worked out fine) - absolutely not.
    - Tinkering with the baseball
    - Teams that game the system so competing needn't be Job #1

I support:
    - Automatic ball/strikes (should be called the Angel Hernandez rule)
    - Instant replay - Anything that removes the "human element" from sports officiating is an improvement
    - Steps taken to speed up the game - there are ways to do this, but Manfred is one dumb motherfucker
    - Incentive-laden contracts for the rest - but only if the incentives involve team wins/success
    - Revenue sharing
    - Universal DH (it's been over 40 years now and 2020 worked out fine)

Not fond of:
    - 7-inning double headers, same number of games but shorter season with more days off. - No desire for a shorter season.
    - 12 team playoffs with the 3 game series (better than the 10 team with the "game 163" one-and-done), but I agree about the game 163
    - Tinkering with the baseball (more Manfred nonsense - he makes Bud Selig look like a visionary)
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

My 2¢:

-I don't like the DH; never have, never will.

-Instant replay is a no-brainer.

-Automatic balls and strikes? I'd be interested to see the technology in action, but I've actually always liked giving the HP ump leeway to "call the corners" when a pitcher shows he can place the ball at the edges with consistency. However, along with that freedom there absolutely needs to be better oversight of and consequences for HP umps who make egregious bad calls of balls and strikes.

-The minors? I love minor league ball, and the consolidation will take away regional teams I support. Is the system really that broken?

-7-inning double headers? I guess, but in a "normal" season there aren't that many of them anymore, so if we get back there is it really necessary?

-The playoffs? Meh. I'm not a fan of the one-and-done, but beyond that it's all an ad revenue money-grab anyway, so I really don't care what they decide.

-Extra innings? Let 'em play 'til it's over. And I agree that spotting a runner at second is a terrible, t-ball-level idea.

-I've never had a problem with the pace of the game; for me that's part of its unique appeal. Others' mileages obviously vary.

-Revenue sharing? Seems good and proper.

-Better care for ex-players? Of course.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Ok, I will play too:

- Universal DH – I follow an American League team so am so used to it I would support it

- 7-inning double headers – I kind of like this especially live if they went back to charging as a single game like back in the old days.

- 12 team playoffs with the 3-game series: I am not sold on the one and done concept and would support this.

- Consolidating the minors: This has already happened, so the horse is out of the barn. I get it from a league standpoint, but I feel sorry for those towns that lost minor league teams. The Tigers franchise in Grand Rapids survived.

- Salary increases for all minor league players: I have no problem with this.

- Instant replay – Technology is going to happen. I have no problem with this.

- Steps taken to speed up the game – No problem with this either.

- Better pay for pre-Arb players: No problem with this.

- Incentive-laden contracts for the rest – No problem with this.

- Revenue sharing – If the league wants parity this probably must happen.

- Better care for ex-players – No problem with this.

- Automatic ball/strikes – I am not a huge fan, but think it is inevitable that this will eventually enter the game.

- Tinkering with the baseball – Not a fan

- Extra inning rule (though it's better than a tie) – Not a huge fan of this one.

- Teams that game the system so competing needn't be Job #1 – Not sure exactly what you are referring to here?

Without creating my own list, I don't necessarily have a problem with the length of the games, except when they are on major networks, which have long commercial breaks. I have no problem with the new rule for relievers having to face a minimum of three batters. That helps. I can also tolerate seven-inning double-headers because the double-header is pretty rare under normal circumstances.

One thing I didn't see listed that I think each of us can agree on is more accountability for umpires. Get rid of tenure, adopt a scoring system, and weed out the worst of them. I don't mind the human element, except when the human is incompetent.

I would also welcome a lifetime ban of Joe Buck.

I would also welcome a lifetime ban of Joe Buck.
    You, sir, speak for a weary nation.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Fernando Tatis, Jr. signs a monster 14-year, $340M contract with the Padres.

When his contract is over, the Mets will still owe Bobby Bonilla one year.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hembekides
    @PaulHembo
    · 3h
    Fernando Tatis Jr. playing the next 14 years in the country's No. 27 media market on the west coast is an objectively bad thing for baseball.
    Thoughts?

Thoughts?
    Seems like a worse thing for San Diego than it does for baseball.

And here's a thing that bugs me that I forgot to mention. Last week, it was announced that MLB teams have opened up THEIR stadiums for COVID vaccinations. Don't the communities own those stadiums?

MLB teams have opened up THEIR stadiums for COVID vaccinations. Don't the communities own those stadiums?
    I think that depends upon the situation. It does seem that most teams have had public funding for their stadiums, though.

The eons are closing
    Fernando Tatis, Jr. signs a monster 14-year, $340M contract with the Padres.

When his contract is over, the Mets will still owe Bobby Bonilla one year.
    Not if they defer once again! lol

Even DiPietro will be done by 2029.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit