Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Unsurprisingly, the Mets are not picking up the option on manager Luis Rojas.
    I'd love to see the Yankees toss Boone onto the scrap heap. I was very happy when they signed him because of his baseball smarts. But that clearly doesn't translate into in-game managing skills. He has cost them a number of games and has simply made some fucking idiotic moves. I wouldn't mind seeing Cashman go, too.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

No JD for the Sox and no DJ for the Yanks tonight.

I'm going to try to stay calm. It's only baseball, right? I'm feeling like some payback for 1978 is in order though.

Quote Originally Posted by ledsox View Post

I'm going to try to stay calm. It's only baseball, right? I'm feeling like some payback for 1978 is in order though.
    I will not miss JD at all. I won't miss DJ much, either, quite frankly.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

2004 was good payback.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    2004 was good payback.
    I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to give him any ammo. Actually, you could argue that 2004 was a payback for 2003, which was probably the best 7-game series I've ever seen.

2004 was good payback.
    Very true, It really paid it ALL back but there is some symmetry with 1978 here.

I was at Fenway the 2 games before the '78 game. Eck's 20th win and Luis Tiant winning to force a 163. Then we met Ted Williams at our hotel as were were about to head back home to Vermont. Ted asked me if we were staying for the game. I said no, Mom said it was a school day, had to go back. That game seemed to kill my baseball obsession for a while. Till 1986 anyway...haha. It's all good now of course, and it's been another fun, yet crazy year.

2004 is all that matters for this fan (and it was certainly 10x sweeter considering the leftover feelings from 2003). I won't go into a long diatribe about how I feel about sports and sports fandom these days except to say that sports is like gambling in the sense that "eventually, the house wins". It's more healthy to take the great moments that matter to you and make them permanent because most of the time your team ends up a loser.

2004: Red Sox
    1995-6: Cowboys
    2008: Celtics

Those are mine. Everyone has their own.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I'd love to see the Yankees toss Boone onto the scrap heap. I was very happy when they signed him because of his baseball smarts. But that clearly doesn't translate into in-game managing skills. He has cost them a number of games and has simply made some fucking idiotic moves. I wouldn't mind seeing Cashman go, too.
    Good luck tonight. I hate the 1-game WC format with a passion, but in this case better to end the pain early because I think the Rays will take care of the winner.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Predictions?

I still like the Dodgers. In spite of the Giants' dominance, a series with Mad Max, Ferris, and the sole 20 game winner Urias is pretty ominous if they execute. Clayton who? And Turner is playing like an MVP, not to mention Mookie getting a groove back. I think I'd worry about the Brewers before the Giants. Of course, they have to get out of the 1-game trap against the Cards tomorrow.

For the AL, I gotta go with the Rays. I admire an organization that can win 100 games the season after they let Snell, Morton, and a few other productive players go and still managed to win 100 games at a fraction of the payroll.

Seems kinda lame to suggest a repeat of the 2020 WS participants, but waddyagonnadoo?

It's baseball. Anything can happen. I've maintained most of the season that the Yankees don't deserve any more than a fourth-place finish. As long as they beat the Red Stockings and the Dodgers eventually lose, I'll be more than reasonably content.

But, if an embarrassing loss to the BoSox results in cleaning house in the front office, it will be worth it, too.

No predictions, but rooting hard for the Brew Crew and the Rays.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

It's baseball. Anything can happen. I've maintained most of the season that the Yankees don't deserve any more than a fourth-place finish. As long as they beat the Red Stockings and the Dodgers eventually lose, I'll be more than reasonably content.

But, if an embarrassing loss to the BoSox results in cleaning house in the front office, it will be worth it, too.
    Deal! lol

I don’t follow the innards of the Yankees close enough to understand the feelings for Boone and Cashman. From the outside looking in, they have had quite a few injuries over the last few seasons and still were very competitive. And Cashman has made some sharp deals as well.

The eons are closing
    I am no Braves fan - but I would prefer to see Freeman get his ring now - and ease into a gentle fade....

lol

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Deal! lol

I don’t follow the innards of the Yankees close enough to understand the feelings for Boone and Cashman. From the outside looking in, they have had quite a few injuries over the last few seasons and still were very competitive. And Cashman has made some sharp deals as well.
    Boone has cost them at least half a dozen wins with his idiotic moves, between resting their hottest batters and relying too much on shitty relievers in important games. Cashman is to blame for the analytics department seemingly calling all the shots. He's made some good mid-season moves, but also some terrible ones.

When you look at it, Cashman has one championship in 20+ years. The 1990s dynasty was all Gene Michael and Bob Watson.

Okay, I'll make one prediction. The Yankees/RedSox game will be longer than four hours.

If NY wins 12-0, I wouldn't be surprised. If they lose 12-0, I wouldn't be surprised.

Cole can go 7 innings of shutout ball or get booted in the third after giving up three HRs.

Yankees can put it all together and run a tight ship, or they can look like undisciplined clowns in the field and on the bases.

Yankees can hit five HRs or have two hits through the first 8 innings.

That's the kind of season it's been.

But, GUARANTEED, the game will end after Midnight

Yankees first pitch was four inches off the plate and the ump calls it a strike.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Okay, I'll make one prediction. The Yankees/RedSox game will be longer than four hours.

If NY wins 12-0, I wouldn't be surprised. If they lose 12-0, I wouldn't be surprised.
    Currently Sox 3-0. Looks like you won’t be surprised

Slightly, huh?

Gotta confess, that stupid wall took away to homers.

But, GUARANTEED, the game will end after Midnight

I guess you were surprised after all.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Well, it got late pretty early tonight. Took a pregame nap that ran a bit over and never saw Cole in the game. Cashman really has to look at this team. Its not built for the playoffs. The homer or nothing approach is fine against weaker pitching but 11 Ks and no walks shows a complete lack of discipline at the plate. The better team won tonight.

Looking for a White Sox - Cardinal World Series. I would root for the Rays but city of TB has won enough for a while.
    Last edited by Tangram; 10-06-2021 at 04:04 AM.

Jeez, that was embarrassing. A Stantonian single! If the Yankees clean house, I wouldn't mind Sterling going too.
    Last edited by Tangram; 10-06-2021 at 04:03 AM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Did he forget which stadium they were playing in?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    I guess you were surprised after all.
    Only by that. Not by anything else, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Jeez, that was embarrassing. A Stantonian single! If the Yankees clean house, I wouldn't mind Sterling going too.
    He's not their employee.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Yankees first pitch was four inches off the plate and the ump calls it a strike.
    Carlson was so bad behind HP. 86% accurate for the game. 5% below average. Pretty even though. 8 bad calls favored the Sox, 9 favored the Yanks.

Slightly, huh?

Gotta confess, that stupid wall took away to homers.
    Not really.
    The first Stanton single (Stantonian Homer!) was not smoked off the wall. Just under 95 mph exit velocity, so not even officially a hard hit ball. He did have over 8 seconds to get to 2nd but declined.

I'll give you the 2nd one, that would have tied the game. That single was smoked, 115 EV but hit too low and probably why Judge couldn't get home.

Carlson was so bad behind HP. 86% accurate for the game. 5% below average. Pretty even though. 8 bad calls favored the Sox, 9 favored the Yanks.

Not really.
    The first Stanton single (Stantonian Homer!) was not smoked off the wall. Just under 95 mph exit velocity, so not even officially a hard hit ball. He did have over 8 seconds to get to 2nd but declined.

I'll give you the 2nd one, that would have tied the game. That single was smoked, 115 EV but hit too low and probably why Judge couldn't get home.
    Nevin really fucked up sending Judge with only one out. He's done that all season and needs to go. They had 22 outs at home this season.

In Sterling's defense, I believe he was following the camera, which made it look to me like it was going out to me. But, that being said, it took him FOREVER to realize it wasn't out.

Say what you want about Sterling, he is no fan boy. He has been very critical of the team all year. And, he has become disgusted with the pace of the game and HATES working remotely on away games. I would not be surprised if he's considering retirement after this season.