Page 30 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    You would think if your team has homered three times by the seventh inning they wouldn't be losing 22-6.
    Poor tackling.

O's back in first place.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Indians get no-hit for the 3rd time this season. That's gotta be a record, doesn't it?
    The same starting pitcher each time, as well!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

O's back in first place.
    Yankess will be going to Baltimore, so your team can get back on the winning track.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Yankess will be going to Baltimore, so your team can get back on the winning track.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Diamondbacks hit a batter with bases loaded in the tenth just to keep pace with the Orioles.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Watched a televised game last night: Braves at Giants. Broadcast TV will occasionally show a Friday night Giants game.

I learned Atlanta has pitchers named Ian Anderson, Chris Martin and Will Smith. Amusing but trivial coincidence.

When the game went into extra innings, we (wife and I) saw a man on second and assumed we had missed a double during the commercial. Later they began referring to the man on second as the "automatic runner," and we saw that each half inning started with a man on second. Is this a new baseball rule? An attempt to speed up extra-inning games because the tv advertisers were paying for some other show to be on at 9:30 or 10:00 pm? Does it happen during non-televised games? I've seen extra inning games, possibly even this season, but I never saw an "automatic runner" until last night. When did this start? The announcers seemed unsurprised. It was a good game and I would love to have seen standard play in the extra innings. I dislike greedheads being allowed to mess with the grand game of baseball. If this is discussed above, my apologies. 30 pages is a lot to peruse.

Also, probably a local tv glitch, but as a batter was running to first in a late inning, they broke away from the game for a health insurance company commercial. That company is on my shit list forever. I haven't forgotten the lying, cheating Houston Asterisks, and I won't forget this either.

^^ The extra-inning ghost runner was implemented last year to speed things up, partly because of COVID, I believe. It's is not expected to be back next year, which is great, since I consider it completely idiotic.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

^^ The extra-inning ghost runner was implemented last year to speed things up, partly because of COVID, I believe. It's is not expected to be back next year, which is great, since I consider it completely idiotic.
    Its horrendous. Thats the best thing I can say about it.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Thanks for the explanation. Glad that the bogus runner will be discontinued next year. Speaking of Covid, that's another question I had about that Braves-Giants game. There were a lot of people in Giants stadium. Does California require vaccination for entry to the game? Or is a baseball game just a big spreading center for the virus? These days, many of the people who wear masks don't even wear them correctly. Life doesn't have a remedial course; you get one chance.

Putting aside the frustration, it was good to see two NL division-leading teams face off. Now, if only the Braves could find a new name for their team. Perhaps, the Atlanta Vote-Suppressors?

O's holding on to first place.

O's holding on to first place.
    Lucky for you, they don't play NY again.

Yankees need to win 20 of their next 13 games to have a shot at the WC. Actually, I'd rather have them miss the playoffs altogether, which is what they deserve, so they can begin to re-assess their GM and manager.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    The guys on TV and radio and the writers all love it because it helps them get out of work earlier and they can all go out to eat.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Yankees need to win 20 of their next 13 games to have a shot at the WC.
    That would be impressive.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

AL MVP: Ohtani or Guerrero?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Ohtani in a landslide.

Guerrero is having a fantastic season, but...he doesn't pitch, and Ohtani pitches pretty well.

Bryce Harper in the NL. Not because I'm a homer, but he's having the best season, statistically, and he's been hot during the most important time of the season. He's virtually dragging the Phillies into contention.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Cedric Mullins. Without him the O's would only have ten wins. If you look at the All Star game he should have been the MVP.

John Means pitched a solid 6 2/3 four hit shutout innings. Shame he is on such a bad team.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Ohtani in a landslide.
    My thought as well.

Bryce Harper in the NL. Not because I'm a homer, but he's having the best season, statistically, and he's been hot during the most important time of the season. He's virtually dragging the Phillies into contention.
    Has there ever been a season like this, one where no obvious player has distanced himself from the pack? I can't recall one, but I don't pretend to have a good memory.

Adam Duvall leads the NL in RBIs and is only two off the lead in HRs, so those stats aren't going to tell us who the MVP is this year.

Unless it's Duvall???

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Ohtani in a landslide.

Guerrero is having a fantastic season, but...he doesn't pitch, and Ohtani pitches pretty well.

I think Tatis gets it considering the adversity he’s faced this season. Also have to consider Soto. But Bryce is deserving, yes.

Oh, and don’t forget Freeman. He’s the only one of the 4 that played all season.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

^The Braves’ announcers have been touring Austin Riley for MVP. He’s having a pretty darn good year, probably better than Freeman but …

Whether he deserves it or not, Ohtani is a shoe-in because of what he's done for the sport. That shouldn't matter for the MVP award, but it will. You can make the case that he's the MVP of the sport in that regard.

The announcers just said the Orioles have had forty different people pitch this year.

The announcers just said the Orioles have had forty different people pitch this year.
    How many of them were actual pitchers?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    How many of them were actual pitchers?
    All but three.