Page 15 of 42 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2021

Boy, Trevor Bauer really is a piece of ... work.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

My guess is Bauer will never pitch again.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    My guess is Bauer will never pitch again.
    I'd be shocked if this happens. He's good, so someone will take a flyer on him, assuming that the Dodgers give him up.

Professional sports teams really don't care about domestic violence if the player is good. Hell, the Phillies still trot Odubel Herrera out there every day and he's pretty mediocre.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I'd be shocked if this happens. He's good, so someone will take a flyer on him, assuming that the Dodgers give him up.

Professional sports teams really don't care about domestic violence if the player is good. Hell, the Phillies still trot Odubel Herrera out there every day and he's pretty mediocre.
    Yep, they always seem to find a way to move past it. The fact that he's such an asshole might work against him, though. Still, there are always desperate teams out there.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Professional sports teams really don't care about domestic violence if the player is good.
    I can think of one exception. Former Suns owner Jerry Colangelo traded away several good players, including Steve Nash to acquire Jason Kidd. After Kidd beat up his wife, Jerry traded him away on morality grounds. The Suns were left with absolutely nothing in the end.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Having a villain like Bauer was, I thought, good for the sport. His antics, his loud mouth, his egotism, his posturing, his performance--it's always good to have a bad guy to root against.

That sort of comic book villainy is quite different than actually being an evil, abusive dick.

Same goes for Marcell Ozuna, too. His antics on the field (the stupid selfie thing was pretty brilliant from this Braves fan's perspective) were comical but did little to hurt the game. And his performance last year deserved a great deal of laudation.

All that's off the table given his arrest. Unlike Bauer, there are no allegations against Ozuna; the cops saw what he did. Hopefully we'll never see him in a Braves uniform, but I imagine he'll be playing for someone again at some point. (And, yes, I know the Braves turned a blind eye when Bobby Cox was arrested twenty-five years ago.)
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Man, the Cubs are so freaking bad.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The year of the streaks. And I don't mean naked drunks running across the field.

Yeah, it's been tough to watch. Injuries aside, I think there's also a pretty significant vibe in the clubhouse surrounding who will or won't be around after free agency kicks in on some crucial roster spots. Fortunately/unfortunately, since their network (Marquee) isn't a part of Hulu-with-live-channels, I've only been able to see a couple of games this season.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Welcome home to Slam Diego, Daniel Camarena.

The rookie reliever hit a stunning grand slam off Washington ace Max Scherzer and his hometown San Diego Padres overcame an eight-run deficit, finally beating the Nationals 9-8 Thursday night on Trent Grisham's RBI single in the ninth inning.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Unbelievable. I just started watching the Yankees and Astros on MLB and they already squeezed a split-screen commercial in between the FiRST TWO BATTERS.

Greed.

Watching Braves@Marlins. Let's see if we choke and throw up on ourselves.

^Let’s hope Acuna’s knee is ok—that’s the only line that matters from that game.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Unbelievable. I just started watching the Yankees and Astros on MLB and they already squeezed a split-screen commercial in between the FiRST TWO BATTERS.

Greed.
    We're about 10 years away (at most) from the Ow My Balls TV screen from Idiocracy being realized, with only a small portion of the big screen actually showing the program that you're trying to watch. They've even started superimposing ads on the mound behind the pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    ^Let’s hope Acuna’s knee is ok—that’s the only line that matters from that game.
    He's out for the season. Sorry to hear that. Welp, they're playing again this afternoon. Let's see if we choke and throw up on ourselves....lol

^That should just about do the Braves in. Tough to imagine them making a serious postseason push without Acuña. Too many injuries, too much of a shaky bullpen, too many better teams.

Those Marlins unis are horrible. Teal and bright red?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    We're about 10 years away (at most) from the Ow My Balls TV screen from Idiocracy being realized, with only a small portion of the big screen actually showing the program that you're trying to watch. They've even started superimposing ads on the mound behind the pitcher.
    It's bad enough that half of the so-called "play-by-play" announcers treat the game as though it's merely incidental to their banter. Yes, I'm looking at you, ESPN.

Gotta say, Gerrit Cole really showed what a stud he is last night against the 'Stros. 129 pitches, complete game 1-0 shutout. Then again, when your closer sucks and the rest of the pen is spent picking up his slack...

We're up 6-2. But it's only the 5th inning, there's an eternity left for us to choke...... .

Gotta say, Gerrit Cole really showed what a stud he is last night against the 'Stros. 129 pitches, complete game 1-0 shutout. Then again, when your closer sucks and the rest of the pen is spent picking up his slack...
    That was one helluva performance. Liked when he basically told Boone to sit the f down. Cole was really fired up and he wasn't giving it to the pen to have it slip away. Did you see the shade Judge gave to the Astros rounding 3rd on his HR? He closed his uniform shirt like Altuva after he send the Yanks packing a few years ago. Great game with some spice!

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    We're up 6-2. But it's only the 5th inning, there's an eternity left for us to choke...... .
    Who's we, Vic? Not sure what team you're referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    That was one helluva performance. Liked when he basically told Boone to sit the f down. Cole was really fired up and he wasn't giving it to the pen to have it slip away. Did you see the shade Judge gave to the Astros rounding 3rd on his HR? He closed his uniform shirt like Altuva after he send the Yanks packing a few years ago. Great game with some spice!
    Did you see Judge's comment about that move after the game? Just telling his teammates that it's a little cool with the roof closed. A little tongue-in-check?

Who's we, Vic? Not sure what team you're referring to.
    Miami. We won. Wee wow wow!.........

Did you see Judge's comment about that move after the game? Just telling his teammates that it's a little cool with the roof closed. A little tongue-in-check?
    Yeah that was smooth!