Thread: MLB 2021

Another topic for discussion might be about the constant injuries to what are supposed to be top-notch athletes. Maybe they should go back to drinking beer and chasing women, like the old days.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    As proven in in Formula 1 racing, cutting edge, finely tuned, top of the range machine's break rather a lot.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

My Twins are riddled with injuries (and the weakest bullpen in MLB). Buxton, the speed demon, strained a hammie trotting to first base. Our usual starting outfield hasn't been on the field in weeks. All out on minor strains and injuries. It's maddening. Bring on the Olympics to save me from insanity.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Topic for discussion: MLB should remove the Pitcher Wins stat. It's arbitrarily awarded and therefore meaningless.

Thoughts?
    I think the individual pitcher win still means something both statistically and symbolically.

The likelihood of a pitcher having 15+ wins at the end of the season and being awful is not great. It happens, but it's rare. (I'm sure there's a way to confirm this feeling, but I'm not about to dig into the data to try and find it.)

Similarly, though, we know that a pitcher may only have 10 wins and be great (deGrom and his lack of run support comes immediately to mind).

The win can be convenient statistical shorthand for evaluating a pitcher, but it certainly is not the sole metric by which they should be judged--which, thankfully, is no longer happening. But does this mean that the win itself has no value statistically?

Is there value in a starting pitcher limiting the other team's scoring opportunities through five innings thus making him eligible for the win? I think so. But, again, that should not be the sole metric.

Bullpen wins are pointless and, as you've noted Scott, seemingly randomly assigned.

Symbolically, I like seeing my team's starters have "good" records. That doesn't mean they were the best pitchers, but it probably means the team is doing well, and that certainly means something.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Another topic for discussion might be about the constant injuries to what are supposed to be top-notch athletes. Maybe they should go back to drinking beer and chasing women, like the old days.
    I don't know if/how you could do a parallel analysis for baseball - but to take as just one example the sport of rugby union, which changed from being an amateur to a professional sport in 1995: over the 25 years since that change, the average time that the ball is in play has increased by 40%, the average number of tackles made by a team in a match has increased by 100%, the average number of rucks (physical contest between mutliple players for possession of the ball) in a match has increased by 100%...& during this same period, the average size (weight) of players (at international level) has increased by 15%.

As I say, I don't know if it's possible to compare across sports, but it's clear that the demands being placed on the bodies of rugby union players today are on a toally different scale to those endured by their forebears just a quarter of a century ago (where many rugby union players went into the game as much for the beer dringking as for the sport!). There comes a point when bodies are being pushed to the limits of their physical capacity, & at this point, of course, injuries become far more common.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I think the individual pitcher win still means something both statistically and symbolically.

The likelihood of a pitcher having 15+ wins at the end of the season and being awful is not great. It happens, but it's rare. (I'm sure there's a way to confirm this feeling, but I'm not about to dig into the data to try and find it.)

Similarly, though, we know that a pitcher may only have 10 wins and be great (deGrom and his lack of run support comes immediately to mind).

The win can be convenient statistical shorthand for evaluating a pitcher, but it certainly is not the sole metric by which they should be judged--which, thankfully, is no longer happening. But does this mean that the win itself has no value statistically?

Is there value in a starting pitcher limiting the other team's scoring opportunities through five innings thus making him eligible for the win? I think so. But, again, that should not be the sole metric.

Bullpen wins are pointless and, as you've noted Scott, seemingly randomly assigned.

Symbolically, I like seeing my team's starters have "good" records. That doesn't mean they were the best pitchers, but it probably means the team is doing well, and that certainly means something.
    I just don't like stats that require so much out of a player's control. DeGrom is a perfect example. He could give up 2 runs in 7 innings every game and not record a win. So, the stat says absolutely nothing about how well he pitched. Conversely, a pitcher can give up 8 runs in 6 innings, and if his team can hit, the pitcher gets credit for a win.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    As proven in in Formula 1 racing, cutting edge, finely tuned, top of the range machine's break rather a lot.
    I was going to respond in a similar way to Ron's post, but this is a perfect analogy.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Shohei Ohtani appreciation post.

I just don't like stats that require so much out of a player's control.
    The RBI, then, should be given the same attention.

Yes, there is something to be said about a player who can hit with men on base. But, largely, RBI is a stat that is dependent on one's teammates.

(For what it's worth, I have not dog in this fight. I'd be ok with eliminating the win; I'd be just ok with keeping it. I suppose, again, for nostalgic reasons, I do like the win, even though logically I know there's not much to it.)

Shohei Ohtani appreciation post.
    How the heck does he get this pitch??? (about 2:00 in)

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    How the heck does he get this pitch??? (about 2:00 in)
    This is exactly what prompted my post.

Dude is inhuman.

Kluber pitches a no-hitter in Texas. That's six in the first quarter of the season. That excludes the seven-inning one.

Three teams have been no-hit twice this season ... so far.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Seattle Mariners are batting a paltry .200 as a team.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Kluber pitches a no-hitter in Texas. That's six in the first quarter of the season. That excludes the seven-inning one.

Three teams have been no-hit twice this season ... so far.
    I have watched 1000's of Yankee games, and I missed it Was watching the Bruins Caps hockey game when I got the text to turn on the Yankee game. Doing that is code for someone is pitching a no no. Of course I didn't even see the last out and was chatting with the original texter to maybe give more than a nanosecond heads up next time. And in true fashion, by the time I got back to the hockey game, the Bruins had scored the OT winner. One of those nights
    Last edited by Tangram; 05-21-2021 at 06:58 AM.

The eons are closing
    Time for a double TV setup!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    I have watched 1000's of Yankee games, and I missed it Was watching the Bruins Caps hockey game when I got the text to turn on the Yankee game. Doing that is code for someone is pitching a no no. Of course I didn't even see the last out and was chatting with the original texter to maybe give more than a nanosecond heads up next time. And in true fashion, by the time I got back to the hockey game, the Bruins had scored the OT winner. On of those nights
    It was actually the free game of the day on MLB.com, too. I watched the whole thing.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

It was actually the free game of the day on MLB.com, too. I watched the whole thing.

Usually I will record the game when I am watching something else. Of course mot this time

I think MLB needs to bring back the 2019 ball to help save this season. Then take a step back, fire their commissioner and fix this game. And I don't mean fix it with more gimmicks.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

I think MLB needs to bring back the 2019 ball to help save this season. Then take a step back, fire their commissioner and fix this game. And I don't mean fix it with more gimmicks.
    "Fix the game" means what exactly? How would you go about it besides bringing back the slightly more homer prone ball?

MLB Now had a lot of talk today about "fixes". Moving the mound back is a serious consideration to bring effective pitch velocity down.

The ball is apparently travelling 6 feet less on average per "barrel" hit and some pitchers say they can spin it better which is probably why we will have 20 no hitters this year. So they are probably not done tweaking the ball.

How do people feel about the mound moving back?
    63 ft 8 inches would be exactly in the middle of the diamond and probably drop pitch speed by about 3 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by ledsox View Post
    "Fix the game" means what exactly?
    That's means a lot of things to a lot of people. Personally, I think they can help fix baseball by undoing some of their misguided attempts to fix it. I don't mind field adjustments, like moving the mound. That's no different than when they raised it in the '60s.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Well, I meant what fixing it meant to you. For the record the mound was lowered not raised after '68 to help batters. It was at 15 inches for many decades prior to that.

Red Sox are still in first and I'm surprised and kind of doubtful they will be there at the end. The Rays have won 9 in a row and the Yanks are rolling too. The AL east is once again looking like the best division.

Well, I meant what fixing it meant to you.
    I thought I answered that.

Red Sox are still in first and I'm surprised and kind of doubtful they will be there at the end. The Rays have won 9 in a row and the Yanks are rolling too. The AL east is once again looking like the best division.
    Yep, one more loss, combined with a Yankees win, and the BoSox's season is over.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

"Fix the game" means what exactly?
    Undo just about everything Manfred did.

Undo just about everything Manfred did.
    +1

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Orioles give up two runs on two wild pitches in the same inning, can you top that one.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!