Thread: MLB 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Just say that you don't like baseball, then.
    Nice comeback. Yeah, I usually watch multiple games a day and played hardball till I was 50 but because I'm advocating for a fair result, sooner than later, after 9 innings of baseball, I don't like the game?

Baseball is the greatest game ever invented, imo, but that doesn't mean it's perfect or can't be tweaked a bit. The extra inning rule is not about pace of play. It's about not exhausting a pitching staff and getting the workers and fans home at a reasonable hour because you know, there is usually another game to play the next day.

I agree something is lost with this rule. There is something cool and timeless (literally) to me about a long extra inning struggle but overall I think more is gained than lost with this change in the regular season.

But for your sake, I hope every game you watch goes to at least midnight so you can get moar baseball.

Here is the viewpoint of another "non-fan", Tom Verducci

"The free runner on second base to start extra innings is an idea that has been even better in practice than it was in theory. You are introducing strategy and an instant rally into a game that needs more of both.

Fans seem to like it. Ratings for extra innings on MLB.TV have doubled with the rule, and fans at the ballpark come alive when they see the home team batting with a runner in scoring position. And if fans like it, then itís okay by me. As an added bonus, managers like it because you donít get those super long extra-inning games that wipe out a pitching staff, creating a domino effect for the next two days.

I first thought the rule was half-baked because it is not used in the postseason. I mean, why play by two sets of rules? But the grind of the regular season is different from the immediacy of the postseason (see: NHL overtime rules). And somehow it just feels right to play out a postseason game to its ďorganicĒ ending, even if it takes 18 innings."

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Nobody in the history of the world will be able to convince me that a relief pitcher who does his job by getting the only batters he faces out, and still taking an extra inning loss is a good idea.
    What is the big deal about pitcher wins and losses here? We realize that pitcher W-L is not really a great stat to determine value, right?
    deGrom is now 2-2 this year. 10-9 in 2018 Has he been mediocre? Of course not. They are not getting paid on the W-L stat anymore.

How about this? A pitcher can now throw a perfect game and take the L. 10th inning, three fly ball outs, one a sac fly and a pitcher who let no one on base could be a 1-0 loser. Heads explode!

I agree you can't change too much, but on average now every 4th AB ends in a K and the rate rises every year. The ball is put in play only every 4 minutes on average now. Batting Ave is at it's lowest point since 1968 (they lowered the mound after that year). On Base and Slugging ave is down too.
    Last night's Sox-Mets game had 6 hits and 30 Ks. It was a heck of a game but this becoming more and more the norm.

MLB wants to expand it's base and should be trying everything within reason to get more action in the game and get it moving faster. But yeah it's tricky to strike the right balance and not screw with the game too much.

An early study on the ball this year shows it is travelling less far due to slightly more drag on it's surface but that is making pitchers even more aggressive and they are throwing in the zone more, thus more K's. No easy answers. Maybe make the ball slightly bigger? I don't know.

I say study the automated zone and the 61-62 ft mound distance in the minors for it's effects.
    Implement and enforce 20 second pitch clock and batter in box.
    Limit pick off throws.
    Universal DH.
    When announcers talk about changes to the game they must still admit it is the best game ever.

Quote Originally Posted by ledsox View Post

"The free runner on second base to start extra innings is an idea that has been even better in practice than it was in theory. You are introducing strategy and an instant rally into a game that needs more of both.
    There was no extra inning strategy prior to this rule? News to me. Verducci thinks the game lacks enough strategy?

Fans seem to like it. Ratings for extra innings on MLB.TV have doubled with the rule, and fans at the ballpark come alive when they see the home team batting with a runner in scoring position.
    While I'm not looking to argue, I don't think you can tie increased viewership to that rule. I think people being trapped home during a pandemic played a much larger role in that.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

What is the big deal about pitcher wins and losses here?
    It's not about the stats of wins and losses. It's about losing a game solely because of a rule, while taking control of the game out of the players' hands.

How about this? A pitcher can now throw a perfect game and take the L. 10th inning, three fly ball outs, one a sac fly and a pitcher who let no one on base could be a 1-0 loser. Heads explode!
    You don't think that's silly?

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

There was no extra inning strategy prior to this rule? News to me. Verducci thinks the game lacks enough strategy?

While I'm not looking to argue, I don't think you can tie increased viewership to that rule. I think people being trapped home during a pandemic played a much larger role in that.
    I think he means there is a bit more strategy with the new rule. Right off the bat the bunt is in play. Good point about the viewership, not sure what he is basing that on but he does work for MLB so maybe he has inside info.
    Last edited by ledsox; 04-29-2021 at 03:33 PM.

It's not about the stats of wins and losses. It's about losing a game solely because of a rule, while taking control of the game out of the players' hands.

You don't think that's silly?
    No one is taking the game out of the players hands. Players still must execute to score and get outs. It's just easier to score in extras on each side.

I think losing with a perfecto would be bizarre and I kind of want to see it happen.

Nice comeback. Yeah, I usually watch multiple games a day and played hardball till I was 50 but because I'm advocating for a fair result, sooner than later, after 9 innings of baseball, I don't like the game?

Baseball is the greatest game ever invented, imo, but that doesn't mean it's perfect or can't be tweaked a bit. The extra inning rule is not about pace of play. It's about not exhausting a pitching staff and getting the workers and fans home at a reasonable hour because you know, there is usually another game to play the next day.

I agree something is lost with this rule. There is something cool and timeless (literally) to me about a long extra inning struggle but overall I think more is gained than lost with this change in the regular season.

But for your sake, I hope every game you watch goes to at least midnight so you can get moar baseball.

Fans seem to like it. Ratings for extra innings on MLB.TV have doubled with the rule, and fans at the ballpark come alive when they see the home team batting with a runner in scoring position. And if fans like it, then it’s okay by me. As an added bonus, managers like it because you don’t get those super long extra-inning games that wipe out a pitching staff, creating a domino effect for the next two days.

I first thought the rule was half-baked because it is not used in the postseason. I mean, why play by two sets of rules? But the grind of the regular season is different from the immediacy of the postseason (see: NHL overtime rules). And somehow it just feels right to play out a postseason game to its “organic” ending, even if it takes 18 innings."
    We'll have to disagree.

More baseball is good. Less baseball is bad.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

No one is taking the game out of the players hands. Players still must execute to score and get outs. It's just easier to score in extras on each side.
    Changing the rules because it's the 10th inning is just ridiculously stupid. IMO.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

But, is it a perfect game? Isn't a perfect game partly defined by no players reaching base?

From the rulebook:
    An official perfect game occurs when a pitcher (or pitchers) retires each batter on the opposing team during the entire course of a game, which consists of at least nine innings. In a perfect game, no batter reaches any base during the course of the game.

My emphasis.

Is being awarded base the same as reaching base?

If a complete seven-inning no-hitter isn't a no hitter...

I'm being semi-facetious here. But, it does show the silliness of what's going on with this sport.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

But, it does show the silliness of what's going on with this sport.
    It sure does.

But, is it a perfect game? Isn't a perfect game partly defined by no players reaching base?

From the rulebook:
    An official perfect game occurs when a pitcher (or pitchers) retires each batter on the opposing team during the entire course of a game, which consists of at least nine innings. In a perfect game, no batter reaches any base during the course of the game.

My emphasis.

Is being awarded base the same as reaching base?

If a complete seven-inning no-hitter isn't a no hitter...

I'm being semi-facetious here. But, it does show the silliness of what's going on with this sport.
    One thing that really sunk in last year was that it's all very silly (sports) and of course, very important.

Just happened in Baltimore.

Bottom of the 10th, sacrifice bunt and sac fly leads to a win.

Just a stupid-ass rule, even if my team comes out on top.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

It's as dumb ass as 3 on 3 hockey overtime.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Execution matters. Yanks couldn't get the bunt down or move their runner. O's did.

Execution matters. Yanks couldn't get the bunt down or move their runner. O's did.
    Which completely misses my point.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

John Means pitches no hitter for Orioles. Only faces 27 batters.

The eons are closing
    oh man! A strikeout wild pitch was the only SEA base runner! Then eliminated on a steal attempt!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

One that will go down in the history books.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    oh man! A strikeout wild pitch was the only SEA base runner! Then eliminated on a steal attempt!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    To me that is still a perfect game.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I would be inclined to agree if it was a passed ball. But a wild pitch? Hmmm.

Either way, there are no degrees of perfection. So, it's not perfect, IMO.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

A perfect game is where no batter reaches base.

So, no.

I would be inclined to agree if it was a passed ball. But a wild pitch? Hmmm.

Either way, there are no degrees of perfection. So, it's not perfect, IMO.
    If you look at the play it was a passed ball, the catcher should have caught the ball. They screwed up the ruling. No pitcher in history ever did what Means did yesterday and not get credit for a perfect game.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    If you look at the play it was a passed ball, the catcher should have caught the ball. They screwed up the ruling. No pitcher in history ever did what Means did yesterday and not get credit for a perfect game.
    Still not perfect.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

No pitcher in history ever did what Means did yesterday and not get credit for a perfect game.
    No pitcher in history ever did what Means did. Yes.

But he does not get credit for a perfect game because that's not how it's defined. It doesn't matter if you like it or not - it's just a fact.

Angel Hernandez is single-handedly making a mockery of the game:

Unbelievably awful call

And then this last night:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1390149893163999232