Page 22 of 42 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2021

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Is there anything better than a walk-off grand slam?
    Yankees losing 14-0
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Yankees losing 14-0
    With their ace on the mound, no less.

Come to think of it, I can't imagine anything better than getting the greatest baseball player of all time from a team whose owner unloads him to cover his gambling debts.

Your turn!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Is there anything better than a walk-off grand slam?
    A walk-off inside-the-park homer would be cool.

I wonder how common that is?

Not a whole lot of !*(^$#$ difference between 14-0 and 13-1.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    With their ace on the mound, no less.

Come to think of it, I can't imagine anything better than getting the greatest baseball player of all time from a team whose owner unloads him to cover his gambling debts.

Your turn!
    Well played sir, well played!

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Yes, the Red Sox losing.

And if it could be a perfect game, the best!

Well, the Cubs completed the fire sale they started last off-season. I think I'd be more upset if I'd been able to watch even a handful of games at home this season, but the Marquee network, Hulu, and MLB's inexplicable and indefensible blackout policy buggered that for me. At this point, MLB and the Cubs in particular are going to have to win me back.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Joey Votto is on a tear! Homered in seven consecutive games.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Well, the Cubs completed the fire sale they started last off-season. I think I'd be more upset if I'd been able to watch even a handful of games at home this season, but the Marquee network, Hulu, and MLB's inexplicable and indefensible blackout policy buggered that for me. At this point, MLB and the Cubs in particular are going to have to win me back.
    No starters from the 2016 World Series are still on the team. True players age and aren't usually as good 6 years later unless they were very young at that tmie, but this is a Florida Marlins type of blow up. I originally thought Rizzo might come back to the Cubs like Chapman did with the Yanks, but rumor has it that the Yanks want to sign him for 2-3 years. Sorry Cubs fans, what you got back for these guys isn't much but Bryant and Rizzo are FA after the season and Baez after the next.

*Operator error. The Cubs won the WS in 2016 not 2015.
    Last edited by Tangram; 07-31-2021 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    No starters from the 2015 World Series are still on the team. True players age and aren't usually as good 6 years later unless they were very young at that tmie, but this is a Florida Marlins type of blow up. I originally thought Rizzo might come back to the Cubs like Chapman did with the Yanks, but rumor has it that the Yanks want to sign him for 2-3 years. Sorry Cubs fans, what you got back for these guys isn't much but Bryant and Rizzo are FA after the season and Baez after the next.
    I would like to think that if 2020 didn’t happen, the Cubs would have made many of these moves last year when there was more value to be had.

The Nats had better timing for their unload, and did a nice job getting a return for Max, and especially Turner before it was too late.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I would like to think that if 2020 didn’t happen, the Cubs would have made many of these moves last year when there was more value to be had.

The Nats had better timing for their unload, and did a nice job getting a return for Max, and especially Turner before it was too late.
    Agreed. This couldn't really be the original plan. Heck the Cubs are paying his salary while he's on the Yanks and they didn't even get top prospects back.

Yankees@Marlins

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Yankees@Marlins
    That feeling you get when you miss the first 7-plus innings, returning just in time to hear your team take the lead.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Ron, I swear I called it. We're up a run in 7th, now watch us throw up and blow it.

Ron, I swear I called it. We're up a run in 7th, now watch us throw up and blow it.
    You still have your chances with Chapman pitching the ninth, bro. He may have recovered from the worst stretch of his career, but he still has shown zero command.

bro.

Two errors in late innings.

The cleats could easily have been on the other's foot. Yankees have blown tons of games this year. And there's still time, even with the gifts from the Marlins. Chapman can still blow it. He's overdue for a HR.

Yankees deserve no better than a fourth-place finish.

I don't think the problem is pitching, it's the defense.

Marlins still have a 50% chance of tying this game. Mark my word.

Ha ha ha!

whew! A squeaker.

Orioles Franco at third probably made the play of the year.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    The Sox just had their 33rd come-from-behind victory of the season, out of 62 wins so far.

I don't see how that could be sustainable, but they make it fun to watch.
    4 consecutive Ls.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    4 consecutive Ls.
    Yep, the AL East will go down to the wire, it seems.

Atlanta has set an MLB record by not achieving the same result in 16 consecutive games. They are, of course, 8-8 in those games, still have not been above .500 this year and are four games out of first.

They are not a streaky team; they are remarkably (historically, even) consistent in their mediocrity.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

This is a few days old, but the mediocrity has not really changed in that time:

Phillies after 100 games:

50-50 overall

29-29 when Wheeler/Nola/Eflin start
    21-21 when anybody else starts

30-20 at home
    20-30 on the road

44-44 in the first half
    6-6 in the second half

26-26 vs. the NL East
    24-24 vs. everyone else
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally