Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: JETHRO TULL: "A" deluxe "A La Carte" 5-disc book set on the way

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Us guys in the Cheap Seats (ImportCD) have to wait till next Wednesday!
    Yeah but at least we didn't have to borrow the $ from our wives!

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Picked this up for $45 at Newbury Comics yesterday. Nice package.

Us guys in the Cheap Seats (ImportCD) have to wait till next Wednesday!
    Wouldn't be too bashful about getting it from ImportCDs, sounds the same as from anywhere else. Had too many orders and mixed up the tracking numbers ... got mine already yesterday
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Picked this up for $45 at Newbury Comics yesterday. Nice package.
    I only paid a little less from Amazon, and mine came only a few days ago. I'd say you did well.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The Associated Tracks are nothing to write home about. Also, what's with them being in a different order on the disks than all the packaging says? Maybe a last minute change? Lorne, do you know? Everything sounds good, though!

Another amazon customer - got it on Friday, as promised.

Listened to the 96/24 LPCM version of the main album.

1) Haven't compared to the included original master - but on its own, well, it sounds fantastic. Every instrument is clear - I can clearly hear every instrument, including Eddie's keys - which is something I kind of remember from back in the when, when I listened to the L.P., that you could not hear Eddie's keys most of the time... well, the piano, yes, synths, not so much - my memory, might be faulty...

2) It is amazing how much you get for the price - still have to listen to the concert AND watch it! this is bliss

I probably should have refrained from posting until I spent more time with this release... but there is something I wanted to get out there... I am sad that this band did not stay together - circumstances of how it came to be aside, this is a very good, viable version of Tull... I remember, the video where Dream Theatre documented their process to get a new drummer, replacing Portnoy... Petrucci, said something that has stuck with me ever since... "the replacement must be UNDENIABLE" - how true ( regardless of what they did! ).

With that in mind, I like the Tull from "A"

- Ian Anderson, Martin Barre: Well, no need for comment

- David Pegg: Undeniable, if not as a replacement for John Glascock, who was a monster bassist, at least, undeniable as a bassist for Tull, with his Fairport pedigree... plus, well, he was already in Tull, just hadn't recorded with them...

- Eddie Jobson: Undeniable, even when judged against the fact that he replaced TWO keyboard players, including one that was the arranger... Curved Air, Crimson, Roxy, U.K. - a monster player AND a writer, plus, well versed in technology.

- Mark Craney: well, that was the "who?" part. But he sounded like a good drummer. Definitely not undeniable as a Barrie replacement... but he did a good job and I was sad to hear about his illness and eventual passing. R.I.P, Mark.

Was hoping to hear more from this lineup - because they actually gave us a very good Tull album - concise yes, but in truth, Tull had stopped being expansive a while ago; memorable songs, great tunes. And with SW mix, I can hear the give and take between Ian's flute and Eddie's synths.

That's all, YMMV

v

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The Associated Tracks are nothing to write home about. Also, what's with them being in a different order on the disks than all the packaging says? Maybe a last minute change? Lorne, do you know? Everything sounds good, though!
    They are in the same order on my CD as they are listed on the back of the box. They aren't for you?

I quite like them BTW. Well, a couple anyway. The extended Crossfire and the instrumental Cheerio are of no value to me, but I love the take of Working John (a song I adore to begin with), Coruisk is great and I happen to love that Slipstream intro track, which I use as a Tull playlist opener.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    They are in the same order on my CD as they are listed on the back of the box. They aren't for you?

Coruisk is great
    No difference in the running order that's listed on my box either. Maybe Jed fondled his too hard and knocked the tracks out of order?

Coruisk is indeed a worthy track!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    No difference in the running order that's listed on my box either. Maybe Jed fondled his too hard and knocked the tracks out of order?

Coruisk is indeed a worthy track!
    Check the running order on the DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Check the running order on the DVD.
    The DVD track lists aren't listed on the back of my box.

On my DVD with the Associated tracks, the first two tracks in the running order on the DVD menu and in the DVD content itself are Coruisk and Slipstream Intro. On the box and in the book it says the first two tracks are Crossfire and Working John Working Joe. The world is rotating off its axis because of this...

My box is in St Paul - the estimate is that it will be here by Thursday!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by vmartell View Post
    - Mark Craney: well, that was the "who?" part. But he sounded like a good drummer. Definitely not undeniable as a Barrie replacement... but he did a good job and I was sad to hear about his illness and eventual passing. R.I.P, Mark.
    pre-Tull, Mark Craney was *probably* best known for being the drummer on Jean-Luc Ponty's Imaginary Voyage album and also being the drummer for the '76 tour for that album, along with Ponty, Daryl Stuermer–guitars, Allan Zavod–keys, Tom Fowler-bass: pretty good band!

Yup.....Mine is only 40 miles away (Seattle) as of Sunday afternoon. Maybe delivery today or tomorrow. I'm doing my Fondling-Finger Exercises as we speak.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post
    pre-Tull, Mark Craney was *probably* best known for being the drummer on Jean-Luc Ponty's Imaginary Voyage album and also being the drummer for the '76 tour for that album, along with Ponty, Daryl Stuermer–guitars, Allan Zavod–keys, Tom Fowler-bass: pretty good band!
    And between that and Tull he was Gino Vannelli's drummer, while Vannelli was enjoying his commercial peak with Brother to Brother.

My A box is out for delivery today!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I bought mine at a local store so I didn't have to go through all that delivery bs...especially Amazons crappy packaging, but get_imports are getting equally bad with their packaging g these days too.

I really like the 5.1 on this one.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    I bought mine at a local store so I didn't have to go through all that delivery bs...especially Amazons crappy packaging, but get_imports are getting equally bad with their packaging g these days too.

I really like the 5.1 on this one.
    The padded envelopes that Amazon uses are just fine when it's Amazon doing the deliveries. In my experience, it's USPS, UPS and FedEx that seem to require gorilla-proof packaging in order to deliver intact merchandise.

Yup.....Mine is only 40 miles away (Seattle) as of Sunday afternoon. Maybe delivery today or tomorrow. I'm doing my Fondling-Finger Exercises as we speak.
    This obsession (not you G) with when the thing shows is pretty weird, to me, anyway, it's music that we originally heard 40 years ago, we probably know every note and have for a long time. I have all the box sets and I understand the excitement about hearing what SW did and reading the booklet but whether it showed up on Friday, today, tomorrow, or Wednesday I'm going to open it, listen and read for a number of days and up on the shelf it will go perhaps never to be heard again, I don't understand what difference a few days makes at all. I mean "It shipped, it's coming, it's almost here, It'll be there when I get home, I got it" etc sounds like a Jackie Mason comedy routine.

PS: Of course my copy arrived 10 minutes after posting this, lol (Import CD's, originally scheduled for Wed).
    Last edited by BarryLI; 04-19-2021 at 01:00 PM.

Ember
    ImportCDs delivery today, two days early. It's a postal miracle!

I am more likely to play the boxes than the old releases. There's something about new light through old windows. Also, the live shows kick ass.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Careful! The one-finger fondle is an advanced move!

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    This obsession (not you G) with when the thing shows is pretty weird, to me, anyway, it's music that we originally heard 40 years ago, we probably know every note and have for a long time. I have all the box sets and I understand the excitement about hearing what SW did and reading the booklet but whether it showed up on Friday, today, tomorrow, or Wednesday I'm going to open it, listen and read for a number of days and up on the shelf it will go perhaps never to be heard again, I don't understand what difference a few days makes at all. I mean "It shipped, it's coming, it's almost here, It'll be there when I get home, I got it" etc sounds like a Jackie Mason comedy routine.

PS: Of course my copy arrived 10 minutes after posting this, lol (Import CD's, originally scheduled for Wed).
    Having sets formatted like these, though, makes me MORE likely to pull an album down off the shelf for a listen more often than a single disk in a plastic sleeve (I've used the Jewel Sleeves for a lot of my CD storage). I also really enjoy reading and re-reading the booklets inside too. I get your point, but I do get enthusiastic about these sets the same way several others here do. The whole logistics thing is just something that helps pass the time too. I don't really follow sports, so I need something!

I get (and agree) with your post! I think it is just the “sameness” of this phase of the lockdown that any excuse for something to “happen” is welcomed and it seemed to me the release of this box just allowed everyone to get just a little bit silly for a few days. Yes, this Tull title wasn’t / isn’t earth shattering but sitting like the family pet waiting for the mailman struck me as funny! IMHO, YMMV.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I get (and agree) with your post! I think it is just the “sameness” of this phase of the lockdown that any excuse for something to “happen” is welcomed and it seemed to me the release of this box just allowed everyone to get just a little bit silly for a few days. Yes, this Tull title wasn’t / isn’t earth shattering but sitting like the family pet waiting for the mailman struck me as funny! IMHO, YMMV.
    Yeah, now that you put it that way I get it, I'm guessing yours will arrive today, too, my shrink wrap isn't getting broken until this weekend at the earliest, the amount of unlistened to music I have is staggering, I guarantee 50% of the CD's I have stacked up will still be in shrink-wrap the day they bury me, perhaps my wife should toss a few in? Ya never know...
    Last edited by BarryLI; 04-19-2021 at 03:58 PM.

Yeah, now that you pout it that way I get it,
    ^ This was a pretty funny typo!