Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: JETHRO TULL: "A" deluxe "A La Carte" 5-disc book set on the way

JETHRO TULL: "A" deluxe "A La Carte" 5-disc book set on the way

A New Day magazine has announced that the next in the deluxe book series, the "A" album from 1980, is on the way soon. Full details are being released next week, but I thought I'd commence the drumming-up of anticipation, since I know I'm not the only big fan of this album here.

Any guesses as to what will be included? The 2-disc remaster included the Slipstream DVD, so I'm sure that will be a part of it. Hoping for a nice live show, and fingers crossed they found more songs in the vaults from the sessions.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

In!
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I'm guessing that's one CD for the album itself, two CDs for a live show (St. Louis would be a likely choice, recorded for KBFH), one DVD for Slipstream, and one DVD for the surround mix. There were no B-sides released at the time, and no bonus tracks on previous CD editions, so I'm not holding my breath for actual unreleased songs by the A lineup--but this series has surprised me before in that department. Maybe there are some demos.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    It'd be nice to get a better-sounding CD than the somewhat muddy-sounding original one that I have. I never shelled out for the rerelease with Slipstream on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I'm guessing that's one CD for the album itself, two CDs for a live show (St. Louis would be a likely choice, recorded for KBFH
    The last show of the US tour, Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena, Dec. 11, 1980 was also recorded for radio as part of the "Captured Live!", RKO Radio Networks series, and could possibly (also) be the "two CDs for a live show" included?

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post
    The last show of the US tour, Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena, Dec. 11, 1980 was also recorded for radio as part of the "Captured Live!", RKO Radio Networks series, and could possibly (also) be the "two CDs for a live show" included?
    Actually November 12 (11/12 vs. 12/11). That's the same show used for Slipstream (despite the video itself implying it was shot at the Hammersmith Odeon), so I'd hope for a different one.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Big fan of "A" here. What I would love to see are additional video tracks from the show used, in part, for Slipstream. I believe the video is the Los Angeles show. I have the CD/DVD set from the early 00s, and as great as the live video tracks are, some of the non-live material on Slipstream is godawful. I have no need to buy this new package without something truly unexpected, like new live video.

Possibly my favorite Tull album, and I didn't find out about the "Slipstream" version until it was too late. I'm in.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Definitly interested. My first Tull show, was highly memorable (in 1976), Ian still at his peak of vocal prowess (sp) and a great performer. Someone threw a cracker on the stage and he stopped and said he wanted to punch the teeth out of the offender!!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I've still got my vinyl copy of A, my interest originally perked by the presence of Eddie Jobson as I enjoyed the UK albums while a high school student in the 1980's. Never purchased A on cd over the years, but I've picked up the Wilson box sets for Songs From the Wood, Heavy Horses and Stormwatch. All sound great in terms of the mix so I'm on board for picking up A as well.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    A New Day magazine has announced that the next in the deluxe book series, the "A" album from 1980, is on the way soon. Full details are being released next week, but I thought I'd commence the drumming-up of anticipation, since I know I'm not the only big fan of this album here.

Any guesses as to what will be included? The 2-disc remaster included the Slipstream DVD, so I'm sure that will be a part of it. Hoping for a nice live show, and fingers crossed they found more songs in the vaults from the sessions.
    Yay, let's have that review,snip-snap!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Yay, let's have that review,snip-snap!
    Oh yes, watch this space!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Possibly my favorite Tull album, and I didn't find out about the "Slipstream" version until it was too late. I'm in.
    I see what you mean - the lowest priced copy of this on Discogs is $45 shipping included - not too bad, but obviously you were right to hold out for this upcoming reissue. Well played!

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Definitly interested. My first Tull show, was highly memorable (in 1976), Ian still at his peak of vocal prowess (sp) and a great performer. Someone threw a cracker on the stage and he stopped and said he wanted to punch the teeth out of the offender!!
    I assume a firecracker, and not a Saltine, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatarkus View Post
    I've still got my vinyl copy of A, my interest originally perked by the presence of Eddie Jobson as I enjoyed the UK albums while a high school student in the 1980's. Never purchased A on cd over the years
    Same here! This sounds like a future purchase for me.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I have no need to buy this new package without something truly unexpected, like new live video.
    Son, didn't anyone ever teach you about fondling?

Maybe they'll add the German In Tribute To JS Bach-concert from 1985, which features Jobson (although there're not many A-songs being played):

16/3/85 International Congress Centrum Berlin, Germany
    Bach Rock
    Concert celebrating J.S.Bach's 300th birthday.
    Guest appearance by Eddie Jobson, instead of Peter Vettese.
    Black Sunday,
    Hunting Girl,
    Elegy,
    Living In The Past,
    Serenade To A Cuckoo,
    Too Old To Rock'N'Roll...,
    Wond'ring Aloud,
    Bourée/Soirée,
    Bach Double Violin Concerto,
    Aqualung,
    Locomotive Breath/Thick As A Brick (reprise)

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I see what you mean - the lowest priced copy of this on Discogs is $45 shipping included - not too bad, but obviously you were right to hold out for this upcoming reissue. Well played!

I assume a firecracker, and not a Saltine, eh?
    I posted and released I should have said firecracker!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I posted and released I should have said firecracker!
    I don't know, Ian can get pretty grumpy sometimes. Premium Plus could set him off pretty easily!

First time I saw Tull was on the A tour, and I'll definitely be in for this.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Maybe they'll add the German In Tribute To JS Bach-concert from 1985, which features Jobson (although there're not many A-songs being played):

16/3/85 International Congress Centrum Berlin, Germany
    Bach Rock

Ouch. The debut of Ian's "new" voice. Otherwise, a fine show, though...

I have a double lp of the King Biscuit broadcast. It's only 3-sided, so I'd hope that a complete show is included.

My first JT album and surprised by EJ keyboards.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I've learned to buy these things quickly after their release. While A is not my preferred Tull, I do like it, and would definitely be interested in a nice full live show from the period. So, basically, I'm in.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    From an interview with Jakszyk, https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...s-king-crimson

He was originally going to do this, but COVID wrecked Wilson's other plans, making him available.

Definitely in for this.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.