Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: JETHRO TULL: "A" deluxe "A La Carte" 5-disc book set on the way

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    This makes it sound like they're not holding up the CD/DVD set because of the vinyl issue, and that it'll be released when it's ready. Some other delays, maybe? I hope they don't hold it up for the vinyl, then I'll be even more down on vinyl than I already am!
    It says 'They won't be here until next summer'.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ I see what you mean. Well fuck vinyl! That's really irritating.

I thought it was announced earlier this year that the Broadsword set was put off until 2023 due to Ian wanting to promote his Jethro Tull album and the re-release of the Thick as a Brick box? At any rate, rumor has it that the Broadsword box is going to be stuffed to the gills with bonus material. I'm bummed but I can't wait until next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    BTW, anyone have too much money on their hands and still need the Minstrel box?
    https://www.amazon.ca/Minstrel-Galle...=2SIQM1R3O9UE3
    LOL, what a steal!

I want a JT box to dig into right now. I can't wait until 2023........
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    LOL, what a steal!

I want a JT box to dig into right now. I can't wait until 2023........
    Yes, Fall is coming and a lotta folks here have posted that fall is the best time to dig into Tull.

The art prints Tull box just shipped from the UK yesterday.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Yes, Fall is coming and a lotta folks here have posted that fall is the best time to dig into Tull.
    No, Tull is for the dog days of summer. (Arf!) Autumn is for classic Genesis. (Except for the Lamb, which is more like February.)
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Correct. Tull's NA tours were usually Oct.-early Dec. during their peak years from the mid-70s until the early 90s.

Wow. So we have to wait another year for the Broadsword set.

Off-topic, but then I guess we're already on a tangent in this thread...

I wonder if they are planning an Under Wraps deluxe box.

I will probably buy it, but the Under Wraps record is not a big favorite of mine. Conversely, the Under Wraps tour shows were pretty darn good. Doane Perry and Peter-John Vettese were excellent players that helped bring excitement to the UW tracks live, IMO. Plus, they played the hell out of the classic material, too. Vettese's use of the Rhodes Chroma as his main synth was an excellent choice. The Rhodes Chroma is not quite as full sounding and bombastic as a Yamaha CS-80, yet it can stand up against a full Marshall guitar sound quite well. For me, Dave peg always seemed like a contract player. His presence on the "A" record and live was serviceable. His singing was in tune and on point with Ian's. I don't know. I could never accept him as the bass player in Tull. John Glascock is, was, and always will be the bass player of Tull for my tastes. Cornick came up with some incredible bass lines. Hammond was not a bass player at all (although, a very interesting personality in the troupe nonetheless!)

While we wait for the Broadsword box set to be released, is anyone saving up for the Under Wraps deluxe box set following the Broadsword box?
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    Off-topic, but then I guess we're already on a tangent in this thread...

I wonder if they are planning an Under Wraps deluxe box.

I will probably buy it, but the Under Wraps record is not a big favorite of mine. Conversely, the Under Wraps tour shows were pretty darn good. Doane Perry and Peter-John Vettese were excellent players that helped bring excitement to the UW tracks live, IMO. Plus, they played the hell out of the classic material, too. Vettese's use of the Rhodes Chroma as his main synth was an excellent choice. The Rhodes Chroma is not quite as full sounding and bombastic as a Yamaha CS-80, yet it can stand up against a full Marshall guitar sound quite well. For me, Dave peg always seemed like a contract player. His presence on the "A" record and live was serviceable. His singing was in tune and on point with Ian's. I don't know. I could never accept him as the bass player in Tull. John Glascock is, was, and always will be the bass player of Tull for my tastes. Cornick came up with some incredible bass lines. Hammond was not a bass player at all (although, a very interesting personality in the troupe nonetheless!)

While we wait for the Broadsword box set to be released, is anyone saving up for the Under Wraps deluxe box set following the Broadsword box?
    Dave Peg is a fantastic bass player, especially when playing fretless.

I hope when they do Under Wraps (because you know they will) that they get someone to record acoustic drums in place of the drum machine. Ian has stated his dislike for them, so I hope he does something about it.
    Either way, I will be buying these until they stop making them...yes, even if they go up to J-Tull Dot Com

Quote Originally Posted by The Czar View Post
    I hope when they do Under Wraps (because you know they will) that they get someone to record acoustic drums in place of the drum machine. Ian has stated his dislike for them, so I hope he does something about it.
    Either way, I will be buying these until they stop making them...yes, even if they go up to J-Tull Dot Com
    That's always been the big question, and it's been long rumoured that they've batted around the idea. I worry now though, at this late stage of the game, about who would actually do the drumming. Back when it was being discussed initially, Doane Perry was still the Tull drummer and in good playing shape. He would have been a good choice.

I'm with you, I will take one of these sets for every single album!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    That's always been the big question, and it's been long rumoured that they've batted around the idea. I worry now though, at this late stage of the game, about who would actually do the drumming. Back when it was being discussed initially, Doane Perry was still the Tull drummer and in good playing shape. He would have been a good choice.

I'm with you, I will take one of these sets for every single album!
    It's kind of an obvious choice, but someone like Gavin Harrison would be awesome, especially since there is the Steven Wilson connection

I love Under Wraps, including everything that is quirky and "wrong" about it. Especially everything that is quirky and "wrong" about it. I personally think that replacing the Linn drums with a live drummer would be about as good an idea as Frank Zappa replacing the bass and drums on his old records with more proficient players.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I personally think that replacing the Linn drums with a live drummer would be about as good an idea as Frank Zappa replacing the bass and drums on his old records with more proficient players.
    Zing! I see what you did there.

I love Under Wraps, including everything that is quirky and "wrong" about it. Especially everything that is quirky and "wrong" about it. I personally think that replacing the Linn drums with a live drummer would be about as good an idea as Frank Zappa replacing the bass and drums on his old records with more proficient players.
    It might be a wee bit better than that hunk 'o shite!

I'm hoping for a remix with the drum machine tracks - if they had redone them with Doane Perry that might have worked but that ship has sailed.

A live show with Perry playing would be great if there's one in the vaults - that way it would have both approaches.

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    A live show with Perry playing would be great if there's one in the vaults - that way it would have both approaches.
    There was a live album, Live at Hammersmith, released several years after the fact on the Strange Fruit subsidiary Raw Fruit, who got rights to it through its being a BBC recording. The album included only eight songs, only two of them from Under Wraps ("Under Wraps" and "Later That Same Evening"). So there's a show that probably exists, although whether it's in Ian's hands is another question.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

There was a live album, Live at Hammersmith, released several years after the fact on the Strange Fruit subsidiary Raw Fruit, who got rights to it through its being a BBC recording. The album included only eight songs, only two of them from Under Wraps ("Under Wraps" and "Later That Same Evening"). So there's a show that probably exists, although whether it's in Ian's hands is another question.
    You're right - and I should have remembered that because I have it .

Be nice if the rest of the show still exists and could be part of a set.

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    This show was professionally recorded (both on video and audio) -- would probably be the logical choice to include in an Under Wraps boxset:

^^^ Passaic is indeed a very good show and I hope it would be included, both audio and video.

Here is an even better show, both in terms of setlist and in terms of Ian's voice. No strain audible here yet. The video is obviously inadequate for a box set but I think the audio is good and with some clean up might be of sufficient quality.

^^^ You would desire an audience recording to be officially released? (don't think that's gonna happen!)

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Depending on how much other material is available, the UW box could be combined with Walk Into Light pretty cohesively and make sense thematically and sound wise.