Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: JETHRO TULL: "A" deluxe "A La Carte" 5-disc book set on the way

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Wow, really? Around here, you couldn't escape songs like Black Cars or Wild Horses when they were hits. But that might have just been because of our Canadian content rules.
    I remember hearing I Just Wanna Stop and Living Inside Myself a few times.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    I remember hearing I Just Wanna Stop and Living Inside Myself a few times.
    It's funny where a Tull thread leads ya!

Gino was huge in Canada for decades, well before Black Cars. I remember as a young teenager hearing his music on the radio.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Really enjoying the 5.1 mix - I'm hearing some nice details I hadn't heard before. And the mix has more muscle than the original.

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    Really enjoying the 5.1 mix - I'm hearing some nice details I hadn't heard before. And the mix has more muscle than the original.
    That's one of the things I like about Wilson's mixes. He gives them some muscle that you somehow felt was hiding in the grooves. Locomotive Breath was the beast I always knew it should be.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    That's one of the things I like about Wilson's mixes. He gives them some muscle that you somehow felt was hiding in the grooves. Locomotive Breath was the beast I always knew it should be.
    Agreed - Cross Eyed Mary has a new life for me as well.

Back in the day I was a Gino Vannelli fan. I think Gist of the Gemini was one of his better albums, and as one commenter on YouTube wrote, the War Suite on that album was probably the closest he ever got to anything progressive.
    His brother played a lot of keyboards on his albums if I recall correctly.
    Here's a song from the Gist of the Gemini album(my apologies for veering away from Tull for a few moments).
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Locomotive Breath was the beast I always knew it should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    Agreed - Cross Eyed Mary has a new life for me as well.
    Wind Up still lacks the punch that I wish it had, though. It's one of my favourite songs, but it's just too damn quiet and restrained-sounding to my ears, even with Wilson lifting it somewhat.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Back in the day I was a Gino Vannelli fan. I think Gist of the Gemini was one of his better albums, and as one commenter on YouTube wrote, the War Suite on that album was probably the closest he ever got to anything progressive.
    His brother played a lot of keyboards on his albums if I recall correctly.
    When I started subscribing to drum magazines a few of them mentioned Gino Vannelli's drummers (Craney, Graham Lear, Vinnie Colaiuta etc.) with some reverence, as I guess he was about as demanding on drummers as Tull/Ian, Zappa or Steely Dan were.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Did you listen to FM radio in the late 70s? Too much schmaltz for me, but he got a lot of airplay.
    More in the mid- than late-70’s

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    A web search turns up somebody named interbellum asking about that project back in 2018.
    Funny when that happens.

Yeah, I've asked about this project before, but now there's so much information in this box-set about the period before and after "A" I wondered if there was any more.
    The first time I read about it was in the pre-internet days when I got some biographic notes together with Lozaga's first solo-album Full Circle Coming Home.

The first news I ever heard of A was a note at the bottom of the rock music column in the Los Angeles Times, which gave the title of the upcoming album as Alert. The essay in the box set tells the "A for Anderson on the tape boxes" story, but also suggests that the story doesn't hold water. I've never seen any reference anywhere since to the album being called, or having a working title of, Alert. There were ads, and a page in the tour program, with a "Red Alert" theme, and these are reproduced in the box set.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Just listening to Wislon’s Aqualung right now! Yeah, it sounds great and muscular! Cross-Eyed Mary really has the funk.

These remixes are making me love songs I didn’t really listen to before. We’ve gained at least a dozen new cool songs never heard before these releases as well

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Just listening to Wislon’s Aqualung right now! Yeah, it sounds great and muscular! Cross-Eyed Mary really has the funk.
    He made me love Aqualung more.

After repeated listens:

1. The original album still does nothing for me. It’s the songwriting. Listening to the live stuff where A is interdispersed with the back catalog reveals how mundane the writing was.

2. The Live concert. Worth the price of this Box! Man, they were a tight outfit live!

3. A new appreciation for Mark Craney. That live work really showed him off. The A box did an Excellent job of highlighting his short tenure with Tull.....very respectful.

I admit 1980-1982 is a bit blurry for me. I was up to my eyeballs in school and I spent spring 1980 to 1981 (300 days) at sea traveling the world so was a bit out of touch. Drug tapes of Renaissance & Steve Hackett around. I do recall picking up a copy of Drama in Singapore and hearing about the death of John Lennon via radio off the coast of Honolulu. A just got lost in the fog of time for me.

Looking forward to Broadsword. ( I liked the timeline in this box where it ends with the beginning of recording of Broadsword)

I’ve stated elsewhere here on PE that the texts in these boxed set do the Best, most complete history of Tull.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Is Wilson doing a remix of Broadsword?

I just listened to the SW stereo remix of -A- last night, some initial impressions:

Like others have said of SW remixes - the sonics are a lot more "muscular" with the guitars and bass punching through more than before. The drums sound clear and open with distinguishable bass drum beats, keyboards are much more clear. I love hearing how nicely Dave Pegg's fretless bass work oozes through and hearing the crack of Craney's timbales which is something not common in Tull's music.
    This remix sounds very fresh to the point it was like hearing it for the first time all over again.
    I've always had a great liking for this record so i am thrilled to have this sonically improved version and might change my opinion of SW remixes (although i still don't like what he did with War Child).

Now i can kick myself for not grabbing the other anniversary collections when they were available.

42 songs on the expanded Broadsword?! Good Lord, I have 33 from the Broadsword era, but that includes 7 tracks Tull officially released from the Hamburg concert.

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    42 songs on the expanded Broadsword?! Good Lord, I have 33 from the Broadsword era, but that includes 7 tracks Tull officially released from the Hamburg concert.
    I assume Motoreyes and the 1981 demo of Jack-A-Lynn will both finally have second official homes. Curious to see what else has been dormant all these years!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

There are some unreaelsed Broadsword sessions songs that are "known" to exist like DJ and Dinosaur but it sounds that there are some more.
    Love the thought of that :-)

The Broadsword set is gonna be YUUUUUGE.

There IS a commonly seen video of a show from the A tour, right? I know I saw one on TV years and years ago - they were in the jumpsuits. But was Eddie Jobson in it? I don't remember seeing him.

There IS a commonly seen video of a show from the A tour, right? I know I saw one on TV years and years ago - they were in the jumpsuits. But was Eddie Jobson in it? I don't remember seeing him.
    Eddie was there... Videos of this tour are still available on YT

MTV used to show the "Aqualung" sequence from Slipstream a lot as one of their "Closet Classics"...or you might be thinking of the Rock Influences special on progressive rock that was hosted by Ian Anderson and included a bunch of clips from the Under Wraps tour.

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx