Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617

Thread: JETHRO TULL: "A" deluxe "A La Carte" 5-disc book set on the way

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Just thought I'd mention, today, I listened to all the studio albums from Warchild up through Crest Of A Knave.
    And your thoughts?
    I like the part where Icarus hijacks the Little Red Hen.

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Thanks for posting that. What a brain melter! PMJ is my favorite track on A side 2 and this version might be even better. I didn't recognize these folks by sight but only when I saw the credits did I realize most of the group members are famous.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Atta boy, Marco!

An interview I had not seen before on YouTube, sharing here in case you've missed it too.

"Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Atta boy, Marco!

Holy moly...Jimmy Haslip!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    And your thoughts?
    My thoughts? They went from strength to strength, delivering a pretty solid string of albums up through at least Broadsword And The Beast.

I had forgotten about that big synth intro on Black Sunday.

I happen to like Under Wraps, though I can imagine why some people might not dig it. I particularly Lap Of Luxury, Apogee and Moscow Radio. Good synth pop record.

And I also like Crest Of A Knave, though maybe not as much as the 70's era albums. I certainly think Steel Monkey and Budapest are great songs. Farm On The Freeway is a good song too, though I remember when the album came out, and that was the song they were pushing on radio, and I remember thinking it just seemed like a weird choice as "single" or whatever. But it's a good song.

I'm curious to see what they do with the Broadsword box. Hopefully, it'll include Motor Eyes, which was my favorite of the Broadsword era leftovers that appeared on the 20 Years Of Jethro Tull boxset, and was always bummed that it was left off the remastered CD.

Well I'm 3 disc into the -A- boxed set, more thoughts:

A minor nitpick that bothers me is that Wilson removed the echo effect on the closing drum pattern on 4WD, that was one of the bitchenest effects when this record was released. I've always thought it conveyed the feeling of getting your noggin bounced around during off-road riding (I did a lot of off-road dirt biking in those days so this song spoke to me).

On the live disc as others have mentioned this band is downright dangerous. The rhythm section of Pegg and Craney is pretty explosive on those older tunes (take Hunting Girl and Songs From The Wood). I'm also wondering if there was a little pressure to take things up a notch with bands like Van Halen lighting things up. Martin's technique seems to be a bit more aggressive than it was in the past.

The keyboards on some of the older songs however are pretty lousy like in Heavy Horses, sometimes sounding like a tinny accordion. I'm guessing Jobson might have been using some of the 'cutting edge' new digital technology of the times.

I love the Bursting Out album but it's really nice to have an alternative live recording with really good sound.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    The keyboards on some of the older songs however are pretty lousy like in Heavy Horses, sometimes sounding like a tinny accordion. I'm guessing Jobson might have been using some of the 'cutting edge' new digital technology of the times.
    The [analog] Yamaha CS-80 was Jobson's signature synth at the time.
    Get ratty!! New album RATS' ALLEY indisputably available!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-6.aspx

I'm guessing Jobson might have been using some of the 'cutting edge' new digital technology of the times.
    Nope. I believe his keyboard rig on the A tour was a Yamaha CS-80, and a Mini-Moog sitting on top of a Yamaha CP-70 electric grand piano.

I love the Bursting Out album but it's really nice to have an alternative live recording with really good sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    The [analog] Yamaha CS-80 was Jobson's signature synth at the time.
    I was gonna comment on that - thanks. Indeed, listening to and watching the live video (still haven't gotten around to listen to the audio only live album) I was kind of disappointed. While the SW remaster of A gives Eddie's keys a bit more prominence that was needed, the live sound and/or arrangements are a different matter. Not only no organ was played, the Yamaha CS80, which I thought was a fat sounding analogue monster, is sounding pretty tinny. So the whole set was arranged for piano and an anemic sounding synth... weird... and not fantastic, no matter how well Eddie plays..

v

I have always wondered why Jobson synths sounded quite tinny with Jethro Tull and on U.K.'s debut album but on Danger Money and Night After Night very strong and beefy.
    "A waste of talent and electricity." John Peel on ELP

I think because he had dropped the organ from his arsenal and used his synth with an "organ" setting in its place.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I have always wondered why Jobson synths sounded quite tinny with Jethro Tull and on U.K.'s debut album but on Danger Money and Night After Night very strong and beefy.
    Very good observation; I think it was because in UK, Jobson had full control of the sound while in Jethro Tull, not only he was a "guest" but the sound was totally controlled by Ian Anderson who has always had the soft acoustic textures over the bombastic synthesizers that Peter-John Vettese implemented for the next two JT albums and Ian's own "Walk Into Light".

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I received my CD box laten that Amazon shipping in Canada because I bought the box from a U.S. seller (Import CDs). It was cheaper that way. I'm going to relax, kick back and watch the video tonight.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I received my CD box laten that Amazon shipping in Canada because I bought the box from a U.S. seller (Import CDs). It was cheaper that way.
    Got mine from Import CDs as well...their prices are great but I'm always a little wary of ordering from them. See my story posted earlier today in the Who Sell Out thread.

Got mine from Import CDs as well...their prices are great but I'm always a little wary of ordering from them. See my story posted earlier today in the Who Sell Out thread.
    I see, I went back and read your post.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 1 Week Ago at 06:39 PM.

You had a problem with them?
    Short version, I ordered the new Who Sell Out box from them when it was listed as being in stock, they didn't ship it, and it's starting to sell out everywhere else (appropriately enough), so I'm cancelling and going with Amazon before it's too late. Now I have to watch for my refund, as they do have a habit of refunding the item price only, and "forgetting" about the tax and shipping charges. (Though that may only happen when they're refunding one unfilled item out of a larger order.)

Short version, I ordered the new Who Sell Out box from them when it was listed as being in stock, they didn't ship it, and it's starting to sell out everywhere else (appropriately enough), so I'm cancelling and going with Amazon before it's too late. Now I have to watch for my refund, as they do have a habit of refunding the item price only, and "forgetting" about the tax and shipping charges. (Though that may only happen when they're refunding one unfilled item out of a larger order.)
    Thanks, I went back to The Who thread and found your post.

Yes, certainly one has to watch out with ImportCDs for that and it was mentioned already on another thread. Lately, if they cancelled the order or it was cancelled by me, they have refunded only price and tax, not shipping. I have not pursued the refund for shipping though, as they have already shipped out separate items from the same order (split order), so I do not really mind as I am getting titles as they get it.
    Another thing there, I am not hesitant to order from them even the out-of-stock items as they do their best to deliver. Quite happy with that even if it means longer wait time and if sometimes it backfires. The prices there are often hard to beat, not always though, especially if steep S&H plus tax charges are taken into account.
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Quote Originally Posted by PCMusic View Post
    Yes, certainly one has to watch out with ImportCDs for that and it was mentioned already on another thread. Lately, if they cancelled the order or it was cancelled by me, they have refunded only price and tax, not shipping. I have not pursued the refund for shipping though, as they have already shipped out separate items from the same order (split order), so I do not really mind as I am getting titles as they get it.
    Another thing there, I am not hesitant to order from them even the out-of-stock items as they do their best to deliver. Quite happy with that even if it means longer wait time and if sometimes it backfires. The prices there are often hard to beat, not always though, especially if steep S&H plus tax charges are taken into account.
    I did get my full refund from Import CDs with no problem, and the Amazon order arrived in two days with free shipping. (Oddly, it was left on the back stairs instead of at my apartment door as usual...I had gone downstairs to start a load of laundry, and when I came back up there was a big ol' box on the stairs.) So happy ending.

I had preordered the Tull box from Import CDs along with a few other items, and they did split the order, but the Tull box was shipped promptly by the street date.

I received my CD box laten that Amazon shipping in Canada because I bought the box from a U.S. seller (Import CDs). It was cheaper that way
    I just tried buying directly from Import CDs for the first time to be shipped to Canada, hoping for a smooth and trouble free delivery.

In Canada, it's not only the shipping delivery time but also the customs hassles that sometimes bogs it down and adds extra taxes :-(
    Keith Emerson - Bayou place May 2010 - Tribute Concert El Rey Los Angeles May 2016
    Pink Floyd - Olympic Stadium, July 77 - Yankee Stadium, NY Jun 94
    Jethro Tull - Montreal Forum, Jun 73 - LA Forum, Nov 78
    Rush - Montreal Forum, July 84 - Toyota Ctr, Houston, TX May 2015
    Genesis - Montreal Forum, December 74 - Pepsi Arena, Denver Oct 2007
    King Crimson - Spectrum Montreal, July 84 - Videotron Ctr Quebec July 2017
    UK & IQ at Progstock Festival - UCPAC Center - Rahway NJ - Oct 2018-19

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    I just tried buying directly from Import CDs for the first time to be shipped to Canada, hoping for a smooth and trouble free delivery.

In Canada, it's not only the shipping delivery time but also the customs hassles that sometimes bogs it down and adds extra taxes :-(
    Sorry to hear that. I had no customs hassles. Box came with declaration but everything was accepted in Canada - no extra charges. It might just be easier to use Amazon.ca in your case.