Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: JETHRO TULL: "A" deluxe "A La Carte" 5-disc book set on the way

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I don't know, Ian can get pretty grumpy sometimes. Premium Plus could set him off pretty easily!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

This is interesting! I didn't realize 'A' was held in such high regard here; I've never heard it myself. Sounds like I've been missing out!

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    This is interesting! I didn't realize 'A' was held in such high regard here; I've never heard it myself. Sounds like I've been missing out!
    Anything Jobson touches turns to liquid gold

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Furniture polish?

If I understand correctly, Wilson has done the remix for "A"? If so, this is wonderful news. It's an album that I loved on initial release and I had hoped that it would eventually receive the deluxe treatment. The previous 2004 remaster with the Slipstream DVD was nice. It was fun to watch the concert video.

I've liked Wilson's previous remixes of Jethro Tull albums. The War Child remix was a revelation for me. I was never a big fan of the album back in the 1970s, but I recall listening incessantly to the 40th anniversary remix some years back.

Quote Originally Posted by jefftiger View Post
    If I understand correctly, Wilson has done the remix for "A"? If so, this is wonderful news. It's an album that I loved on initial release and I had hoped that it would eventually receive the deluxe treatment. The previous 2004 remaster with the Slipstream DVD was nice. It was fun to watch the concert video.

I've liked Wilson's previous remixes of Jethro Tull albums. The War Child remix was a revelation for me. I was never a big fan of the album back in the 1970s, but I recall listening incessantly to the 40th anniversary remix some years back.
    Yes, Wilson did take this one on after finding himself with so much time on his hands.

I've always loved War Child. It's a collection of shorter songs, but that's about the only real difference between it and what had come before. It's still that prime period Tull, with some real classics on it and quite a few more from those fruitful sessions.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Twinkies?

Yes, Wilson did take this one on after finding himself with so much time on his hands.

I've always loved War Child. It's a collection of shorter songs, but that's about the only real difference between it and what had come before. It's still that prime period Tull, with some real classics on it and quite a few more from those fruitful sessions.
    Absofruitly. I never understood why JT fans didn't dig it, or even loathed it. I also really like Too Old, especially the newer SW 1976 UK TV version - it sounds much better sonically and I think I even like the playing/performance more.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Not if the sound quality is his responsibility.

Funny how opinions very. I also have always loved War Child but hated the Wilson remix. I find that the way he goosed the volume of things like string arrangements and squeeze boxes to be very distracting and much prefer the original (i have a sneaky feeling that IA had a hand in this). I generally don't care much for Wilson remixes with XTC's Oranges & Lemons being an exception, now that one does sound fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Absofruitly. I never understood why JT fans didn't dig it, or even loathed it. I also really like Too Old, especially the newer SW 1976 UK TV version - it sounds much better sonically and I think I even like the playing/performance more.
    This.

I know the War Child box is long gone, but is there a single disc version with the SW mix? I wouldn't mind slipping that sucker into my CD player.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I know the War Child box is long gone, but is there a single disc version with the SW mix? I wouldn't mind slipping that sucker into my CD player.
    Yes, it was released as a stand-alone disc on both CD and vinyl.
    Get ratty!! New album RATS' ALLEY indisputably available!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-6.aspx

^ Looks like that one might be OOP (Amazon does have the vinyl, though). Ah well, you snooze and you miss the early worm. C'est la child de guerre.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I like A a lot. I have the first remaster with Slipstream DVD. The concert footage is damn good. Martin Barre is on fire.

Can’t wait. Supposed to be some surprises on this. I feel an ep worth of extra tunes. The remix sets have been awesome. The mixes mainly sound excellent and there’s tonnes of studio tracks. By the time Tulls 15th album Under wraps has been remixed we’ll have 25 studio albums worth of material without even including early and quad versions lol

Hopefully they find the full concert that appeared on Slipstream. I'm not particularly into Tull but I'm an Eddie Jobson fanatic so a chance to see him perform Nostalgia / Walking To Pastel would be awesome!

Excerpt from an interview with Steven Wilson re: "A"

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-people-page-2

Mettler: Are you doing more Tull in 5.1?

Wilson: Well, I've done [August 1980's] A for them, yeah. Umm, in my defense, I didn't know at the time Jakko was in the running to do it. But basically, I had more time because of lockdown, and I told them, "Look, I'm available now if you still want me to do it"—and they asked me to do it. They didn't tell me about Jakko—but anyway, cut a long story short, I did a couple of things during lockdown I didn't think I was going to have the time to do originally, but obviously I did have the time because of the lockdown scenario.

I had told them I was done with the Tull catalog because I thought I was going to be too busy with The Future Bites. As the lockdown transpired, I had a year to do a lot more stuff I didn't think I was going to have the time for doing—and A was one of them.

Mettler: A is a weird album in the Jethro Tull catalog. It's like a bridge between two universes, and it seems to me like it's a transitional record. Were you very familiar with A, or not much at all, growing up?

Wilson: Not much at all—which is another reason why I originally said I shouldn't be doing it, because I always feel like I want to know the record pretty well before I do it. But I got into it, and I think you're right. It's a transitional record. The incorporation of electronic elements into it isn't wholly successful, I don't think, but you can see more of a new way of doing Tull things. I still feel there are some great songs on it, and Ian [Anderson] is such a great writer.

Mettler: I agree, and I think it's worth a revisit. Listening to it in 5.1 is probably the only way I'd go back to that record, to be honest. Now, I don't know if you're doing [April 1982's] The Broadsword and the Beast or [September 1987's] Crest of a Knave, which are two of Tull's prime '80s records. Is that something on your slate, or have you not thought about doing those albums yet?

Wilson: I've not been asked. I've not been asked, so I can't tell you at the moment. But I think what's nice about A is I've made a big difference to it sonically, if I can say so myself. When I do a new mix, the stereo is obviously the first part of the process, and with certain records, I've made a difference for the better—and I think A is one of them. The original mix was quite subdued in a way, so even in stereo, I think it really pops better now.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Ian needs to get him onto Broadsword nice and quick while he’s in lockdown lol. Do some tunes for now. Has 18 months to get it done

Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    I feel an ep worth of extra tunes.
    Maybe even an elpee's worth of toons!

But seriously, yes I am in for this.

Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    Ian needs to get him onto Broadsword nice and quick while he’s in lockdown lol. Do some tunes for now. Has 18 months to get it done
    Yeah, I'd be all over a deluxe Broadsword edition.
    I like the part where Icarus hijacks the Little Red Hen.

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Yeah, I'd be all over a deluxe Broadsword edition.
    And so would I!!

After the mostly folky acoustic trilogy (Songs from the Wood, Heavy Horses and Stormwatch) I had lost faith in a heavier Tull but with A, Broadsword and Under Wraps (with Peter-John Vettese on keyboards) it all changed for me and loved it. Although many hard core fans hated this period, I am more a keyboard synthesizer admirer and PJ Vetesse did an amazing work including Ian Anderson's Walk Into Light, all which I hope will also get the Steven Wilson treatment.

Count me in - Auto Buy.

(I have the previously released "A" ReMaster double set of CD + DVD that includes slipstream movie in poor standard definition, I even had the VHS! but has no bonus live video or demo material).
    BLACK SUNDAY is a true classic.

Not to wild about "A" but still will buy it though.

I'm really Looking forward to Broadsword package as that is still one of my fav JTs (anf my very first one)

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Not to wild about "A" but still will buy it though.
    That's a TRUE prog fan!
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

That's a TRUE prog fan!
    Hey maybe not my fav JT but still it is JT!

That's a TRUE prog fan!

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Hey maybe not my fav JT but still it is JT!
    Hear, hear!