Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aquaserge - Any news or updates?

Quote Originally Posted by Naytheet View Post
    I sent them a message on their fb page see if there's any other way to get it
    It's literally like 6 quid for a CD - 20 quid for vinyl - to ship outside the UK. Insane.
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

It doesn't count as "news", except to me, but I just discovered that Aquaserge have tracks on two tribute albums:

- a cover of The Supermen on an album called We Were So Turned On: A Tribute to David Bowie (2010)

- a cover of 10:15 Saturday Night on album called Perfect as Cats: A Tribute to the Cure (2008)

I generally can't be bothered with this type of hodgepodge album, and we're obviously talking early Aquaserge here, but I am at least mildly intrigued.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Naytheet View Post
    I sent them a message on their fb page see if there's any other way to get it
    They told me it will be available there in English shops on October the 15th.

Certainly, together with a new Ghost Rhythms, one of my most anticipated releases for the rest of the year. Go French! (except in football)

The album is now out and streaming in full:

Listening now. Exceptional.

Bandcamp Profile

^^ Sweet!

Hate doing this, but I just bought the CD from Amazon UK rather than Bandcamp. Free delivery tomorrow, as opposed to £10.42 for delivery at some point in the future.

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Hate doing this, but I just bought the CD from Amazon UK rather than Bandcamp. Free delivery tomorrow, as opposed to £10.42 for delivery at some point in the future.
    With shipping I dont blame ya - nasty business right now - I wanted to get a shirt from the UK to here in Texas - 25 quid!! No thanks.

Loving this rekkid after one spin.

Ordered without listening to a note. They've long earned auto-buy status with me.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

It didn't click after the first listen. Must try again soon.

Just finished my 3th spin; love it! A great collection of moods and sounds. Very different from what they've done before but all the more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Just finished my 3th spin; love it! A great collection of moods and sounds. Very different from what they've done before but all the more interesting.
    You can hear them in there - their sound is present but yeah - so different. Quite a journey. Dig it too!

Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    It didn't click after the first listen. Must try again soon.
    I did it late at night in headphones. Its a fascinating listen just based on pure "sound" but equally their most challenging listen imo. I can see this one polarizing even the most ardent Aquaserge fans but its a bold statement.

There is a complete divorce with pop sounds of earlier records. I fully approve of the new turn, it is an exciting and daring affair. That said I still don't know if I really like all of it. The Ligeti tunes are somewhat far from my own taste. The Varese or Feldman not so. Overall it is a must listen and congratulations to Aquaserge for taking the path less travelled.

I have listened this new one twice so far. I like it! It is too early to tell but it might best album they have done.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Shiny plastic disc hath arrived... oh yeah! I know what I'm spending the evening with...

aquaserge cds.jpg
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Shiny plastic disc hath arrived... oh yeah! I know what I'm spending the evening with...

aquaserge cds.jpg
    Hellz yeah man! Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    Hate doing this, but I just bought the CD from Amazon UK rather than Bandcamp.
    Did the same thing, but BOY was mine expensive! Can't say I regret it, though - it's a great album of somewhat 'serge-untypical, ultra-dissonant, hyper-complex avant-progressive of the highest order. Some of these intricacies come close to the extremities of Yugen or instrumental TPlague, albeit of a different theoretical assumption at the core and in a completely other context of idea and sound.

Some may have been mislead to think that Aquaserge were mostly about post-hipster/refined/Stereolab'ian abstraction in a more distinctly advanced pop/rock language, but this release certainly exhibits their "true" inner nature of more or less scholarly grips on composition. This is simply impeccably dense and challenging stuff, perhaps not as unequivocally inviting or sexy as their more melodious material but all the more impressive from a "progressive" viewpoint.

Although it still indeed does have SOME of the sexy.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Did the same thing, but BOY was mine expensive! Can't say I regret it, though - it's a great album of somewhat 'serge-untypical, ultra-dissonant, hyper-complex avant-progressive of the highest order. Some of these intricacies come close to the extremities of Yugen or instrumental TPlague, albeit of a different theoretical assumption at the core and in a completely other context of idea and sound.

Some may have been mislead to think that Aquaserge were mostly about post-hipster/refined/Stereolab'ian abstraction in a more distinctly advanced pop/rock language, but this release certainly exhibits their "true" inner nature of more or less scholarly grips on composition. This is simply impeccably dense and challenging stuff, perhaps not as unequivocally inviting or sexy as their more melodious material but all the more impressive from a "progressive" viewpoint.

Although it still indeed does have SOME of the sexy.
    Well said - all of that!

Listened to Laisse ca etre today. Really great album.

I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Yes. I saw the final performance of their last album in January at the "sort of RIO" festival in Tarbes. Last month I saw Benjamin Glibert who is also playing in a very Canterbury-sounding project by flautist Sylvaine Hélary (Glowing Life), who incidentally has just been appointed head of the Orchestre National de Jazz beginning in early 2025. Julien Gasc is no longer part of the band - he wasn't at the gigs I saw since 2021 but he was on the poster for the last album. It's probably going to be a little rockier as Benjamin's sister Manon will be playing guitar as well as clarinets. The new album has been ready for over a year but there were issues with the label's new distributor, if I remember correctly, and they had to wait for the planets to align for its release. Still, no future gigs announced yet at this time.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

^^^^^

Still on Crammed?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Julien left the band ?
    That will most likely result in some sort of shift/change