Thread: Druckfarben - Second Sound

Druckfarben - Second Sound

cover.jpg
    Canada, 2014.
    Interesting biography on PA. So this band decided to create progressive of their own and of their style. We still can find this Yes aura in their music (plus violin), maybe amongst some other influence as some say, and yes, Rick Wakeman touch is the first to come in mind, (despite many Genesis moment-like in the parts of the 19min eponym song for the keyboards) as this Wetton/Anderson voice. The first tracks are grat, and things become delightful with #3 dandelion followed by a #4 liberated dream where a Chris Squire touch will find its place too, followed by a magnificent song called #5 long walk down... A Yes power treat.

I'm familiar with most of these words but the manner in which you've arranged them is a bit... unexpected. Anyway, here's their Bandcamp page:

https://druckfarben.bandcamp.com/

Their live DVD (audio only available on Bandcamp) is really worth tracking down if you can find it. I'm still holding out some hope they'll produce another album but it's been 6+ years now since their last one.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelDelirium View Post

Their live DVD (audio only available on Bandcamp) is really worth tracking down if you can find it. I'm still holding out some hope they'll produce another album but it's been 6+ years now since their last one.
    Why thank you very much! I'm not in the band, but I did make the DVD for them. It was a real labor of love. It is available on Amazon, used, at a good price. Plus, the band has copies, so it can still be had. (amazon link below).

As to the status of the band, what I can tell you is this. Talks were afoot for album #3. Bassist Peter Murray decided to leave, and the band found a replacement in multi-instrumentalist/singer Greg Wyard, and were all set to start making new material. Unfortunately, Greg broke a bone in his arm, so that put things on hold. Now, of course, Covid has hit, so the status is uncertain. There are a few off-shoot projects in the works, involving a couple of members. One is close to completion and another is in the works.

I would love for there to be a third Druck album, too!

https://www.amazon.com/Artifact-Druc.../dp/B00DPKQVVE

neil

Thanks for the update, Neil. A third album from this excellent band would be most welcome!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Very good band. The Yes influence does show, but not really in a copycat/fanboy sort of way. Guitar/strings/mandolin player Ed Bernard was on FM's 2015 release Transformation (good album). I'm Facebook friends with him and check in with him occasionally. Super talented and nice guy.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Neil, thanks for that update - sounds like some of those things will come to fruition eventually!

Now I'm wondering two things: are you friends with Dave Sr (Adap2it)? As I recall, he knew the band members, and you're all from up North... Do you go to ProgDay?

Next, didn't the vocalist sing with one of the bands at ProgDay a few years ago? Backhand, maybe?

Ok, that was really three or four questions!

EDIT: I just checked for Backhand on Spotify. The vocalist with them was Phil Naro - that's the guy from Druckfarben, isn't he?

I also see that Backhand released a single last June, I guess a "lockdown" single. If you find it on Spotify you'll see a very familiar locale for the band's photo!

https://open.spotify.com/album/3QnwSvEY2Coc7RjUyyz0UD

EDIT #2: Oh, I see there was also a GoFundMe for Phil Naro, to pay for Cancer treatment! So that would be another reason for the delay. The GoFundMe is now closed, so hopefully he's recovering.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 01-27-2021 at 02:50 PM.

Yes, thanks for the update, Neil. I really liked both Druckfarben albums and would be interested in any new music from those guys (or side projects).

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Neil, thanks for that update - sounds like some of those things will come to fruition eventually!

Now I'm wondering two things: are you friends with Dave Sr (Adap2it)? As I recall, he knew the band members, and you're all from up North... Do you go to ProgDay?

Next, didn't the vocalist sing with one of the bands at ProgDay a few years ago? Backhand, maybe?

Ok, that was really three or four questions!

EDIT: I just checked for Backhand on Spotify. The vocalist with them was Phil Naro - that's the guy from Druckfarben, isn't he?

I also see that Backhand released a single last June, I guess a "lockdown" single. If you find it on Spotify you'll see a very familiar locale for the band's photo!

https://open.spotify.com/album/3QnwSvEY2Coc7RjUyyz0UD

EDIT #2: Oh, I see there was also a GoFundMe for Phil Naro, to pay for Cancer treatment! So that would be another reason for the delay. The GoFundMe is now closed, so hopefully he's recovering.
    Yes Phil Naro has been receiving treatment for throat Cancer and is in recovery. Not sure what that means in terms of him singing again...Yes, I do know the members of Druckfarben, the drummer, Troy Feener is my neighbour and part of the Basement Boys...Yes, I am friends with Neil and he is a regular at Progday...Yes, Phil did play with Backhand at Progday. There you go Jed...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Yes Phil Naro has been receiving treatment for throat Cancer and is in recovery. Not sure what that means in terms of him singing again...Yes, I do know the members of Druckfarben, the drummer, Troy Feener is my neighbour and part of the Basement Boys...Yes, I am friends with Neil and he is a regular at Progday...Yes, Phil did play with Backhand at Progday. There you go Jed...
    Thanks, Dave. Now you (or someone) need to find me a picture online of Neil, so that I can see it and go "Ooooh, it's THAT guy!"

Neil @ Progday 2019.jpg

This is was taken in 2019...
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

https://progressivemusicplanet.com/2...rd-polydactyl/

This is another project from Ed Bernard.

And yes he's a really good guy,

DtB

A new album would be awesome. Please?
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by PixelDelirium View Post
    I'm familiar with most of these words but the manner in which you've arranged them is a bit... unexpected. Anyway, here's their Bandcamp page:

My apologize for writing too fast and not making strong effort to translate from my brain lol

Thank you all for this additional info

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Why thank you very much! I'm not in the band, but I did make the DVD for them. It was a real labor of love. It is available on Amazon, used, at a good price. Plus, the band has copies, so it can still be had. (amazon link below).

As to the status of the band, what I can tell you is this. Talks were afoot for album #3. Bassist Peter Murray decided to leave, and the band found a replacement in multi-instrumentalist/singer Greg Wyard, and were all set to start making new material. Unfortunately, Greg broke a bone in his arm, so that put things on hold. Now, of course, Covid has hit, so the status is uncertain. There are a few off-shoot projects in the works, involving a couple of members. One is close to completion and another is in the works.

I would love for there to be a third Druck album, too!

https://www.amazon.com/Artifact-Druc.../dp/B00DPKQVVE

neil
    Oh, nice! I used to do video production a long time ago (back when it was all tape based) so I'm pretty picky about concert videos. This one is definitely nicely shot, edited and produced. Well done! I'll have to give it another play this weekend when I have a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Neil @ Progday 2019.jpg

This is was taken in 2019...
    Thanks, Dave. Actually, I don't recognize you, Neil, but that happens fairly often. Anyway, I'll be on the lookout for you next time!

Listened to this just a couple of weeks ago, after a long standoff. I don't really spend much time with this sort of "prog" anymore, but it's a good one here.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Chromatica is one of the Druck off-shoots, that has Ed Bernard in it, along with Davin Goudie and Mike Melo, both very talented, multi-instrumentalists. Here is a video of them at the Mod Club in Toronto a few years back, opening for Magma! Davin is a HUGE Magma fan, so needless to say, it was a thrill for him.

I've heard versions of some of the newer songs that Chromatica has been working on, and they are really amazing. Lots of keyboard stuff too, as Davin is a very skilled player and writer on keys. And drummer Mike Melo can also play guitar very well. Ha, where do these guys who are good at so many instruments come from?

Amusing side note. It was a bit of a chore finding the video, now that Lady Gaga has an album called Chromatica...

neil

Thanks, Dave. Actually, I don't recognize you, Neil, but that happens fairly often. Anyway, I'll be on the lookout for you next time!
    It would be my honor, to meet the one and only Highly Evolved Orangutan! Let's hope that Progday gets going again sooner, rather than later, and we get that chance.

neil

The vocalist with them was Phil Naro - that's the guy from Druckfarben, isn't he?
    Also from Talas with Billy Sheehan.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    https://progressivemusicplanet.com/2...rd-polydactyl/

This is another project from Ed Bernard.

And yes he's a really good guy,

DtB
    Geez, how did I forget about this one? Too much music, too little time...

A couple of updates. Phil's surgery went as well as could be hoped for, and as Dave says, he is in recovery mode. He hopes to be singing again by Spring, but still a long road back, so let's hope for the best and full health again.

Also, there apparently are some newer/leftover Druckfarben tunes in various states of completion, and the members would like to finish them and get them out there. Amongst other factors, this is all dependent first and foremost, of course, on Phil's health, which is the priority over anything else.

neil

My wife gave me Second Sound last Xmas, we both found it to be most excellent. We both noticed the slight bit of Yes-ism but with a much harder edge which is really cool, definitely their own animal.
    Would love to hear more and wish all of the band members well and a speedy, successful recovery to Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    A couple of updates. Phil's surgery went as well as could be hoped for, and as Dave says, he is in recovery mode. He hopes to be singing again by Spring, but still a long road back, so let's hope for the best and full health again.

Also, there apparently are some newer/leftover Druckfarben tunes in various states of completion, and the members would like to finish them and get them out there. Amongst other factors, this is all dependent first and foremost, of course, on Phil's health, which is the priority over anything else.

neil
    Thanks for the update, Neil. I'm glad to hear the surgery went all right and I hope that Phil gets well and recovers 100%. Like you said, that's the priority.