Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jon Anderson - Olias Remaster

Jon Anderson - Olias Remaster

Hot on the heels of the Song of Seven remaster, here comes Olias also from Esoteric, this time with a Remaster and an "Upmix" due out March 26th. I am particularly thrilled about "fully restores the stunning original artwork" - the artwork on that on that original record was masterful :

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/...panded-edition

• A NEWLY REMASTERED & EXPANDED 2 DISC EDITION OF THE LEGENDARY 1976 SOLO ALBUM BY YES VOCALIST JON ANDERSON
    • NEWLY REMASTERED FROM THE ORIGINAL MASTER TAPES
    • FEATURES A DVD WITH A HIGH RESOLUTION 96 kHz / 24-BIT RE-MASTER OF THE ORIGINAL STEREO MIX ALONG WITH A 5.1 SURROUND SOUND UP-MIX DERIVED FROM THE ORIGINAL MASTER TAPES
    • WITH FULLY RESTORED ARTWORK AND AN ESSAY WITH AN EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH JON ANDERSON
    • INCLUDES ILLUSTRATED BOOKLET WITH NEW ESSAY

Esoteric Recordings is proud to announce the release of a new expanded and re-mastered 2 disc edition of the classic debut solo album by YES vocalist JON ANDERSON, “Olias of Sunhillow”. Released in July 1976, the album was a conceptual work recounting the story of an alien race on a journey to find a new world following volcanic destruction on their home planet. All music on the album was written and performed by Jon Anderson and the recording took place at Anderson’s Buckinghamshire home studio whilst Yes were on hiatus following the tour to promote the album “Relayer”. Initially recorded on an 8-track tape machine, the arrangements were then re-recorded on to a 24-track tape machine. The album saw Jon perform the music entirely alone, teaching himself to play keyboards and acknowledging the influence of such legendary musicians as Rick Wakeman, Patrick Moraz and Vangelis on his work. Indeed, it was even rumoured Vangelis performed on the album, something the maestro would deny in interviews.

“Olias of Sunhillow” was released by Atlantic Records in the summer of 1976 in an elaborate gatefold sleeve designed by David Fairbrother-Roe and was a top ten album in the UK. This Esoteric Recordings edition has been newly remastered from the original album master tapes and fully restores the stunning original artwork and also features a booklet with a new essay and exclusive interview with Jon Anderson.
    Over the ensuing years the excellence of the album has led to many calls for the album to be remixed in a 5.1 Surround Sound format. Alas, despite extensive research, the multi-track masters of the album cannot be found. However, this expanded edition of “Olias of Sunhillow” features a DVD featuring a high resolution 96 kHz / 24-bit re-master of the stereo mix and also includes a high resolution 5.1 Surround Sound up-mix derived from the original stereo master tapes as an additional feature.

Track Listing:

DISC ONE:
    OLIAS OF SUNHILLOW
    REMASTERED EDITION
    1. OCEAN SONG
    2. MEETING (GARDEN OF GEDA)
    SOUND OUT THE GALLEON
    3. DANCE OF RANYART
    OLIAS (TO BUILD THE MOORGLADE)
    4. QOQUAQ EN TRANSIC
    NAON
    TRANSIC TO
    5. FLIGHT OF THE MOORGLADE
    6. SOLID SPACE
    7. MOON RA
    CHORDS
    SONG OF SEARCH
    8. TO THE RUNNER

DISC TWO:
    OLIAS OF SUNHILLOW
    HIGH RESOLUTION 96 KHZ / 24-BIT
    5.1 SURROUND SOUND UPMIX & STEREO REMASTER
    1. OCEAN SONG
    2. MEETING (GARDEN OF GEDA)
    SOUND OUT THE GALLEON
    3. DANCE OF RANYART
    OLIAS (TO BUILD THE MOORGLADE)
    4. QOQUAQ EN TRANSIC
    NAON
    TRANSIC TO
    5. FLIGHT OF THE MOORGLADE
    6. SOLID SPACE
    7. MOON RA
    CHORDS
    SONG OF SEARCH
    8. TO THE RUNNER
    Last edited by Dan Roth; 01-22-2021 at 07:48 PM.

YAY!

Hoping for a single-disc release.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

How does a 5.1 ‘up mix’ actually work?

Is it today’s ‘Rechanneled For Stereo’?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post

It's today's "buy it again ".

I got the vinyl for $5 in excellent condition. The real Jon plays on my copy.

I was wondering that myself...

I have no idea
    But
    Gong You which is my favorite album ever...
    2 side B was not mixed in quad Simon Heyworth did a upmix
    Is for me the equivalent of audio alchemy no idea how the hell was he able to turn a stereo mix to a stunning surround experience -left me laughing shaking my head in disbelief ...
    This did not sound fake or synthetic
    Elements were distinctly placed and moved in surround
    Voodoo!

^^^ There’s deep Planet Gong magick bound within those grooves. It couldn’t happen with the music of mere earthbound mortals.

Great news, thanks.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Ember
    There were three tracks on the Steven Wilson edition of Gentle Giant's "Octopus" that were upmixed using the Penteo plug-in for ProTools, because the multitracks were missing. They sounded OK, but were distinctly not discrete 5.1. They didn't sound too artificially processed, more like a stereo mux with surround ambience.

I would certainly not buy something just for Penteo upmixes. So yeah, I'd be in for a remastered stereo single-disc re-release if the sonic upgrade was significant.
    Last edited by rdclark; 01-23-2021 at 09:55 AM.

Udi,

I'm impressed that YOU were impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    I have no idea
    But
    Gong You which is my favorite album ever...
    2 side B was not mixed in quad Simon Heyworth did a upmix
    Is for me the equivalent of audio alchemy no idea how the hell was he able to turn a stereo mix to a stunning surround experience -left me laughing shaking my head in disbelief ...
    This did not sound fake or synthetic
    Elements were distinctly placed and moved in surround
    Voodoo!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Udi,

I'm impressed that YOU were impressed.
    Yeah i was expecting some sort of fake synthetic phased audio and instead was floored by the result

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Yeah i was expecting some sort of fake synthetic phased audio and instead was floored by the result
    Udester - Are there programs that allow you to isolate each instrument/voice/sound from a two-channel stereo mix and then essentially do whatever you want with those (like then essentially having a 24-track or whatever master for example)? Is this close to how the surround Gong You was done?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Given the low price and the absence of any mention of special packaging, I'm guessing this will be a standard CD-sized product, which makes a joke of the "FULLY RESTORED ARTWORK" claim. This is an album that must be experienced in full 12-inch format, not least because the text that accompanies the artwork is hard enough to read even at full size. The original is such a beautiful marriage of music, image, and story that it will inevitably suffer from any kind of corner-cutting to fit modern formats and budgets.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    ^^^ There’s deep Planet Gong magick bound within those grooves. It couldn’t happen with the music of mere earthbound mortals.
    Well Jon has never been earthbound so we can hope they get some of the same magic ��

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Given the low price and the absence of any mention of special packaging, I'm guessing this will be a standard CD-sized product, which makes a joke of the "FULLY RESTORED ARTWORK" claim. This is an album that must be experienced in full 12-inch format, not least because the text that accompanies the artwork is hard enough to read even at full size. The original is such a beautiful marriage of music, image, and story that it will inevitably suffer from any kind of corner-cutting to fit modern formats and budgets.
    Esoteric generally do a good job with their packaging but the artwork will definitely not have the same impact in the smaller format. I don't think there's much they can do about that - I imagine they didn't feel the economics supported doing a full size reproduction.

I'll be interested to hear the 5.1 upmix - hoping it works as well for me as the Gong did for Udi.

Interesting news Thanks for posting. I would probably respectfully pass on this not because I wouldn't think it was well done but because I have two copies of the original album, one copy is the original lp I bought when it was released and another pristine copy that I found in a thrift store a few years ago. The artwork is stunning for sure. I love it. I also have the original Japanese cd release which sounds great to me. Sometimes you just have to put your foot down and say I'm not buying it again. There would have to be something pretty amazing about this release to make me bite. I'm not even sure what a upmix is or whether it really makes that much of a difference in sound. Interesting though it is. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Interesting news Thanks for posting. I would probably respectfully pass on this not because I wouldn't think it was well done but because I have two copies of the original album, one copy is the original lp I bought when it was released and another pristine copy that I found in a thrift store a few years ago. The artwork is stunning for sure. I love it. I also have the original Japanese cd release which sounds great to me. Sometimes you just have to put your foot down and say I'm not buying it again. There would have to be something pretty amazing about this release to make me bite. I'm not even sure what a upmix is or whether it really makes that much of a difference in sound. Interesting though it is. Thanks again.
    I think there are some albums that are just best presented on vinyl due to the artwork and the general vibe of the music, and this is one of those cases imo. I have the olde CD as well but I only play the vinyl when the urge for playing this pops up.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I also have the original Japanese cd release which sounds great to me.
    I have that, too, but am still hoping for an improvement. There's very little separation and I'm hoping that the new one breathes a bit more.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Hold on.... were not the Olias' master tapes lost?

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    Hold on.... were not the Olias' master tapes lost?
    The multitracks, yes, as mentioned in post #1. But apparently they do have the stereo master, and they will use digital trickery to fake a 5.1 mix.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

The multi-track masters for Going For The One and Drama are also apparently lost. All very unfortunate, when you consider that Genesis basically still have everything.

John Boegehold
    One of my favorite albums ever. Hopefully the remastered stereo version will be available as a high-res download. Never understood why some of the companies who come out with these big reissue packages don't also offer the digital version for fans who don't buy physical media, especially when there's virtually no extra expense involved in doing so.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    In my opinion I don't think there's going to be any kind of remastering that will make a remarkable improvement. This is an album that screams for an actual remixing (not the same as a remastering). Of course, it doesn't help that the album's creator had an "everything but the kitchen sink" approach for this project. IMO, Olias of Sunhillow is the aural equivalent of shoving 10 gallons of stuff in a 5 gallon bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    ...This is an album that screams for an actual remixing (not the same as a remastering).
    Can they do a remix without the multi tracks?

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    In my opinion I don't think there's going to be any kind of remastering that will make a remarkable improvement. This is an album that screams for an actual remixing (not the same as a remastering). Of course, it doesn't help that the album's creator had an "everything but the kitchen sink" approach for this project. IMO, Olias of Sunhillow is the aural equivalent of shoving 10 gallons of stuff in a 5 gallon bucket.
    Perhaps, but software, these days, can work wonder in the right hands.