Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 89

Thread: Jon Anderson - Olias Remaster

  1. #51
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    5,377
    I have a gorgeous original LP that is beautiful in every way.

  2. #52
    Apparently the LP is being re-released as a part of Record Store Day in June.

  3. #53
    Member yesman1955's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Texas USA
    Posts
    258
    Received my CD/DVD digipak of Olias on Friday. Nicely done, if minimal, packaging. Have not had a chance to check out the recordings on my home stereo yet. I have heard the free Amazon mp3's on my computer and they sound good.

  4. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by yodathedog View Post
    Apparently the LP is being re-released as a part of Record Store Day in June.
    Does anyone know how to puchase the "Record Store Day" vinyl release? Do you need to go to a retailer to find this record? I can't seem to find any indication on the Cherry Red website of a way to order this vinyl release

  5. #55
    Jazzbo manquť Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    3,265
    Quote Originally Posted by floyd umma gumma View Post
    Does anyone know how to puchase the "Record Store Day" vinyl release? Do you need to go to a retailer to find this record? I can't seem to find any indication on the Cherry Red website of a way to order this vinyl release
    Yes, it's a Record Store Day Exclusive release, which means it will be officially available only in brick and mortar stores. Of course copies will instantly show up on eBay, so you can get it mail order if you don't mind the inflated prices. Also some indie retailers will make their leftovers available for mail order the day after RSD--try Bull Moose, 1-2-3-4-Go, or Plaid Room, for example.
    Get ratty!! New album RATS' ALLEY indisputably available!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-6.aspx

  6. #56
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Burlington Twp, NJ
    Posts
    1,638
    Quote Originally Posted by floyd umma gumma View Post
    Does anyone know how to puchase the "Record Store Day" vinyl release? Do you need to go to a retailer to find this record? I can't seem to find any indication on the Cherry Red website of a way to order this vinyl release
    If interested, this is a list of the releases for this year's day: https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases

  7. #57
    Does anyone know how to burn the audio track for the high resolution stereo mix on the DVD? Just so I can listen to it on the go.

  8. #58
    Is it just me, or do the vocals sound buried on the surround sound mix? I have the same problem with Squire's Fish Out of Water. I boost my center speaker output and that helps...but the regular stereo audio CD sounds better to me (both the original Japanese CD and the Esoteric CD). --Peter

  9. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    How does a 5.1 ‘up mix’ actually work?

    Is it today’s ‘Rechanneled For Stereo’?
    In a sense yes - waiting for my copy, hoping more details are there - but just from reading the OP, not 100% clear. It *seems to me* that

    1) There is no surviving multi-track
    2) They made the 5.1 from filtering out ( which is how I assume the Cedar stuff mentioned above works - which is also how the "re-channeled for stereo" worked in the olden days, just not digitally) the original master, NOT the remaster


    Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    It's today's "buy it again ".

    Well - I will comment what I always comment - buying is not compulsory - everyone is 100% free not to buy it.

    I am glad to be able to replace my CD, an Atlantic late 80s issue... does not even have the full booklet - they botched it (or did it on purpose to save money) and is only partially and microscopically printed. Hope the remaster is good. I have changed my thinking on this. I haven't listened in a bit, but I remember you can hear tape noise on that CD. I used to consider that a bad remaster. But lately have changed my thinking on that. Now, I don't mind the tape noise IF the quality of the recording is preserved. So will compare when my copy arrives.

    I see nothing sinister about they are doing. For whatever reason we are faulting RECORDING companies for trying to sell... RECORDINGS... life is a "cash grab" (another familiar "insult") my friends... another name for it is "making a living"... is all good - unless they make it compulsory to buy it... it is just how the world works...

    v
    Last edited by vmartell; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:37 PM.

  10. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Does anyone know how to burn the audio track for the high resolution stereo mix on the DVD? Just so I can listen to it on the go.
    https://www.dvdae.com/

  11. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by vmartell View Post
    I am glad to be able to replace my CD, an Atlantic late 80s issue... does not even have the full booklet - they botched it (or did it on purpose to save money) and is only partially and microscopically printed. Hope the remaster is good. I have changed my thinking on this. I haven't listened in a bit, but I remember you can hear tape noise on that CD. I used to consider that a bad remaster. But lately have changed my thinking on that. Now, I don't mind the tape noise IF the quality of the recording is preserved. So will compare when my copy arrives.

    I see nothing sinister about they are doing. For whatever reason we are faulting RECORDING companies for trying to sell... RECORDINGS... life is a "cash grab" (another familiar "insult") my friends... another name for it is "making a living"... is all good - unless they make it compulsory to buy it... it is just how the world works...

    v
    I totally agree with you, and labels like Esoteric are just there for the reissues really, they give a good service to this music we love.

    I have become quite enamoured of the surround sound potential, but I am still yet to get a system. I have acquired the Yes Panegyrics and the XTC remasters, amongst others. I would love Olias in this format if the reviews are positive. Iíll be getting the hardware soon and then immersing myself. I still have the 70ís vinyl in pristine condition, and so have the artwork covered, but Iím interested to hear what they produce.

    These 5.1 mixes sell fast though, I missed out on GGís Octopus, as I hadnít realised they were such limited editions. Iíll trawl the reseller sites until a decent copy pops up.

  12. #62
    Still waiting for mine to arrive . Everywhere seems to be out of stock. Looking forward to hearing the 5.1 mix. Voyage of the acolyte was an up mic and that sounds good as do a couple of tracks on starless and bible black. On the downside BJH For no-one on Everone is everybody else was up mixed as they didnít have the multitrack tape for that track, however they didnít think the upmix was very good so it was left off the surround sound album.

  13. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I totally agree with you, and labels like Esoteric are just there for the reissues really, they give a good service to this music we love.

    I have become quite enamoured of the surround sound potential, but I am still yet to get a system. I have acquired the Yes Panegyrics and the XTC remasters, amongst others. I would love Olias in this format if the reviews are positive. I’ll be getting the hardware soon and then immersing myself. I still have the 70’s vinyl in pristine condition, and so have the artwork covered, but I’m interested to hear what they produce.

    These 5.1 mixes sell fast though, I missed out on GG’s Octopus, as I hadn’t realised they were such limited editions. I’ll trawl the reseller sites until a decent copy pops up.
    Indeed - these days any CD release is effectively a limited edition release. Have to jump immediately. Guess the market dictates that. But yeah, yeah, I have found out they go out fast. I was able to get all the available Jethro Tull Deluxe Edition long boxes by jumping on them immediately... Except for TAAB - the one hole in the collection - did not know about it, found out until way later... man, it hurts seeing the incomplete collection - trying to work up the will to pay >$200 for it on Discogs...

    v

  14. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by vmartell View Post
    Thanks dude.

    Do you know if that will work in the UK? Also I can't see the cost without going through the registration process and payment, don't suppose you know?

    On my phone at the moment so limited capability, thanks.

  15. #65
    Its a great programme, works in the UK. You can downlaod a fully functional 30 day trial

  16. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Thanks dude.

    Do you know if that will work in the UK? Also I can't see the cost without going through the registration process and payment, don't suppose you know?

    On my phone at the moment so limited capability, thanks.
    $38.50 (American Dollars) - It does work with PAL DVDs, unless I am misunderstanding the question.

    v

  17. #67
    Member yesman1955's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Texas USA
    Posts
    258
    Had the house to myself for a bit today and listened to the DTS 5.1 mix. My first impression of the surround mix is very good. Someone earlier had said that Anderson's voice seemed buried in the mix. I did not find that to be true for me. I was listening on my 7.1 system which tends to give me a more immersive experience. I want to listen again before I render a final opinion. But based on my one listen, if you love Olias, get this before it is gone. Esoteric did a fine job on the DTS 5.1 with this release.

  18. #68
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    2,028
    Quote Originally Posted by floyd umma gumma View Post
    Does anyone know how to puchase the "Record Store Day" vinyl release? Do you need to go to a retailer to find this record? I can't seem to find any indication on the Cherry Red website of a way to order this vinyl release
    You can find participating stores here: https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/13389 Also they show July as the release date.
    Just scroll down to Participating Stores, and there is a map of the US. You can click on the State of your choice and the stores participating will be listed.
    It's quite possible you can preorder from one of these stores, I did that(ordered online) with Hi Voltage in WA for the Paul McCartney 3 album.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

  19. #69
    I picked up the new disc, but haven’t listened yet. It seems a very nice package but I just want to comment on the essay that is included. There are some glaring errors in it, such as referring to Jon’s son as being Dylan and not Damien. Do they not employ proof readers? All they need to is pass to a literate Yes fan to read through, but really I would expect better from a respected journalist.

  20. #70
    Jazzbo manquť Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    3,265
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    such as referring to Jon’s son as being Dylan
    Mrs. Howe has no comment.
    Get ratty!! New album RATS' ALLEY indisputably available!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-6.aspx

  21. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Mrs. Howe has no comment.

  22. #72
    I'm the one who complained about Jon's voice being buried in the mix...but I finally diagnosed the problem. Apparently when I was hooking speakers up a few months ago, I was lazy and not so diligent about making sure front and rear were all hooked up properly. Even though an auto-calibration sort of masked my errors (and having vaulted ceilings and a living room/dining room as one big space, so even more curve balls to successful surround-sound ambiance), I finally decided that one of the benefits of working from home now is being able to take the time to keep working at a problem until it's fixed. And yes, once I had things wired properly, low and behold Jon's voice was front and center! [As well as Squire's Fish Out of Water]. Still odd how some surround sound mixes sounded fantastic despite my goofs - the Alan Parsons, the Genesis SACD's (things that I had used as reference when I had originally re-wired stuff months ago). --Peter

  23. #73
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Grenoble, France
    Posts
    1,226
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    There are some glaring errors in it, such as referring to Jon’s son as being Dylan and not Damien. Do they not employ proof readers?
    I thought it was supposed to be Damion, not Damien.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

  24. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    I thought it was supposed to be Damion, not Damien.
    Looking at the original inner-sleeve of the LP shows you're right.
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2935500/bio

  25. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by vmartell View Post
    Indeed - these days any CD release is effectively a limited edition release. Have to jump immediately. Guess the market dictates that. But yeah, yeah, I have found out they go out fast. I was able to get all the available Jethro Tull Deluxe Edition long boxes by jumping on them immediately... Except for TAAB - the one hole in the collection - did not know about it, found out until way later... man, it hurts seeing the incomplete collection - trying to work up the will to pay >$200 for it on Discogs...

    v
    Same story with TAAB for me. Missed the boat and then I've seen copies of it going for $399
    Why don't they re-release the damn thing? ... or is it going to be another super deluxe edition?
    "Confusion Will Be My Epitaph"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •