Thread: Modern Metal recommendations

Modern Metal recommendations

I've been listening to some more modern metal bands like Disturbed, Sevendust and Godsmack and I really enjoy their sound, what other bands/albums in that vein you guys recommend?
    I live in an ephemeral eternity

Here's a handful that I highly recommend:

Breed 77 - A criminally underrated band (from Gibraltar, I believe) that has put out some incredible albums....their latest, Insects, is probably my favorite (I also love In my Blood and Cultura). They're heavy, melodic, have incredible chops, and every once in a while throw in some Spanish/Flamenco influece. I think they have a new one coming out this year.

I Am Giant - I believe these guys just have one album, The Horrifying Truth, which came out last year. Great stuff.

Ra - I don't think these guys are around anymore, but their first two albums (From One and Duality) were great slabs of modern rock/metal. The first album in particular had some nice Middle Eastern influences thrown in to shake things up.

Green Carnation - This band is well-liked by the prog-metal contingent, though their sound is much more in the modern metal direction...but more atmostpheric and moody. I'd recommend A Blessing in Disguise for the first-time GC listener.

Jolly - A great band that just came out with their third album, An Audio Guide to Happiness Pt. II.

Soen - Sounds alarmingly like Tool, but with great, tight songwriting. Their debut, Cognitive, was one of my favorite albums last year. The band features Opeth's old drummer.

Great! Thanks, I happen to have the Green Carnation album but never really paid much attention to it, I'll have to revisit it.
    I live in an ephemeral eternity

Banned
    Has anyone heard of Gypsyhawk? I Recently got one of their CDs used at Second Spin. I love Omerta by Adrenaline Mob(which celebrates it's one year anniversary today).

lamb of god
    god forbid
    the sammus theory

Check out Chimp Spanner - great tunes with a Djent-y feel to them. Here's an example

What if the Hokey Cokey really IS what it's all about?

ana kefr
    white chapel
    acacia strain
    adversary

I like that Chimpspanner vid.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone