Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: King Crimson Solo Side Projects.

King Crimson Solo Side Projects.

I cherish so many of the albums outside King Crimson umbrella that members released.
    Any Recomendations?

Some of my favorites:

Pat Mastelotto- KoMaRa- KoMaRa (2015)
    Tony Levin- "Levin, Torn, White" (2011)
    Jakko Jakszyk- "Secrets and Lies" (2020)
    Bill Bruford- "One of a Kind" (1979)
    Gavin Harrison- Pineapple Thief- "Dissolution" (2018)
    Robert Fripp and Theo Travis- "Follow" (2012)

Trey Gunn - Third Star, Joy of Molybdenum, Live Encounter and The Waters They are Rising are personal favourites.

The eons are closing
    Ditto Live Encounter

I personally favor Birth of a Giant with Rieflin Fripp & Gunn

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    Trey Gunn - Third Star, Joy of Molybdenum, Live Encounter and The Waters They are Rising are personal favourites.
    Don't forget Raw Power, maybe my favorite TG album.

I enjoy the solo work of 1970’s violinist/keyboardist David Cross- particularly Exiles (which features guest spots by Fripp, Wetton and Peter Hammill), Closer Than Skin and Sign of the Crow.
    Op Zop To Wah is one of Adrian Belew’s more adventurous solo albums.
    The two “Crimson Jazz Trio” albums by Ian Wallace were nice.
    The album Bruford did with Tony Levin (Upper Extremities) and Ralph Towner and Eddie Gomez (If Summer Had its Ghosts) are personal favorites as well.

If you like free improv, Jamie Muir’s duet album with Derek Bailey (Dart Drug) is pretty relentless!

I just pulled out Adrian Belew's "The Lone Rhino" the other day. Still really love that album and think it is his best.

I know this will get jumped on, but I've always been a big fan of Pete Sinfield's album. Some of the songs are very much Crim-worthy; "Night People" essentially is King Crimson, with the entire Islands band minus Fripp contributing, and of course "Under the Sky" dates back to the Giles, Giles & Fripp period and could easily have found a spot on ItCotCK. Even Sinfield's vocal shortcomings don't bother me; they even get turned to an advantage when used as a set-up for Greg Lake's glorious entry on "Still." Knock-out time right there.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Burley Wright View Post
    Don't forget Raw Power, maybe my favorite TG album.
    I never got that one - I assumed it was some odds and sods as it comes from different sessions, lineups ,etc.

Do I need to add it to my list for the next BC Friday?

I know I'm weird ... but I love Fripp's soundscape albums. My favorite is probably "A Blessing of Tears".
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I know this will get jumped on, but I've always been a big fan of Pete Sinfield's album. Some of the songs are very much Crim-worthy; "Night People" essentially is King Crimson, with the entire Islands band minus Fripp contributing, and of course "Under the Sky" dates back to the Giles, Giles & Fripp period and could easily have found a spot on ItCotCK. Even Sinfield's vocal shortcomings don't bother me; they even get turned to an advantage when used as a set-up for Greg Lake's glorious entry on "Still." Knock-out time right there.
    With you on this. I find myself revisiting this album at least once a year. There is something about the memories it holds and the images it conjures up. While nothing alike, the music of David Sylvian spins up similar images of windswept coastal regions, rocky shores, old villages with stone houses, etc. It just works for me. I personally don’t hear any vocal shortcomings at all, in fact I think Sinfields “untrained” voice is essential to my enjoyment, the same way Annette Peacock’s voice works.

You didn’t mention “Envelopes of Yesterday” which is my favorite cut on the album. When Wetton’s patented down and dirty bass kicks in right before the guitar solo...it never fails to bring a smile to my face. Another great cut is “Song of the Sea Goat” featuring the lovely Freeman String Synth.

So no argument for me on this one at all!

Best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I know I'm weird ... but I love Fripp's soundscape albums. My favorite is probably "A Blessing of Tears".
    This is my fave of the 'scapes albums I have.
    I like Gates of Paradise too.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

I’ll throw Ovary Lodge (Keith Tippett, Frank Perry, Roy Babbington) into the ring for consideration. If you are a fan of “out” jazz and improv, this is a great set. And even if you are a casual fan of Tippett’s playing, this album is an essential piece in his catalog.

I think Frank Perry would have worked great in some alt universe, early incarnation of KC too. How about this for a missed opportunity? Dueling percussive workouts with Muir and Perry. If you have ever seen Art Ensemble of Chicago live, I would image the stage would resemble something like that. (An elaborate, highly detailed metropolis of percussion instruments spread out all over the sound stage.)

Best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Quote Originally Posted by neuroticdog View Post
    Another great cut is “Song of the Sea Goat” featuring the lovely Freeman String Synth.
    And absolutely spine-chilling piano from Keith Tippett. What a gorgeous track!
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Yep. My fav too and one we used to listen to before we went to...umm....sleep.

There's a bunch I dig.

Bruford Levin for sure. Trey Gunn - The Joy of Molybdenum. Fripp's Exposure. Bruford's Feels Good to Me. Belew's e.

There are others, but those are probably top of my list.

The Wallace-Trainor Conspiracy album also has the fun Evidoid Suite which mashes Schizoid Man with Thelonius Monk's Evidence.

And Sylvian/Fripp. Especially the live album Damage. One of my favorites.

I like Fripp's (the banjo player in Peter Gabriel's band) side project called King Crimson.

This is my favorite one too.
    I also enjoy the orchestral version of some of the soundscapes, on the album The Wine Of Silence (Fripp, Andrew Keeling, David Singleton). It's probably not for everyone, as are the soundscapes, but it is pretty intense spiritual music.

I went through a whole messload of King Crimson related albums a few months back. Quite a bit of good discussion there:
    https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...highlight=gene

McDonald and Giles' album, David Torn's Cloud About Mercury and Trey Gunn's Third Star are among my favorites.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    KoMaRa was so good, I started investigating Kollar's work and ended up grabbing a bunch of his Bandcamps. Then there's another Mastelotto project called Naked Truth that is really worth checking out, especially the 1st one.

Don't think anyone's mentioned KTU yet, the albums 8-Armed Monkey and Quiver are both really good and I've never seen the accordion played the way Kimmo Pohjonen plays it.

https://kimmopohjonen.com/projects/ktu/

Low Flying Aircraft (Cross, Tippett)
    B.L.U.E. (Bruford, Levin)
    Stephen Thelen/Fractal Guitar (Reuter) ...this one imo moved an already very high bar.
    Music for Piano and Drums (S/T, Bruford) ...thought this one, (acoustic) rocked way harder and was more interesting than Flags, the (electric) second one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    KoMaRa was so good, I started investigating Kollar's work and ended up grabbing a bunch of his Bandcamps. Then there's another Mastelotto project called Naked Truth that is really worth checking out, especially the 1st one.
    Really? I'll check out Kollar's bandcamp, because KoMaRa knocked me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    Really? I'll check out Kollar's bandcamp, because KoMaRa knocked me out.
    "Sculpting in Time" is my favorite of his. "Equation of Time" is a pretty cool fusion type disc. His output is very unique. Acoustic, fusion, looping etc. Great musician.

My fave Crim related project is Stick Men. Especially "Deep" and "Panamerica"

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bake 2 View Post
    Stephen Thelen/Fractal Guitar (Reuter) ...this one imo moved an already very high bar.
    Way more interesting than Sonar, IMO.
    Also check out:
    https://stephanthelen.bandcamp.com/a...-laswell-remix