Page 39 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Domino tour 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Many YouTube videos sound like nails on a chalk board because data compression does that to my ears. Are there higher resolution official live videos of SOC? I saw SOC at ROSfest, and it sounded fine. However, Simons behavior of combing his hair over his balding forehead (like his old man) and therefore covering his face, was very weird. Did I actually see him?
    I assume you do not praise other YouTube videos?

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I think there were other factors in play as well.
    The Genesis fans were divided into 2 camps, one was reminiscent of the Peter era which was NO PHIL..NO GENESIS, and the other was fans who came to love Genesis when Phil went solo and they discovered Genesis from him being a solo artist who was also the lead singer for Genesis.
    It was hard for Tony and Mike to overcome the new lead singer problem, someone no one had heard of before, and although I think CAS is a very good album, not enough people bought the album or tickets.
    Good points... Agreed, I personally thought the LP was very good as was Ray. Those tunes were great live particularly The Dividing Line. Nir Z was superb. Ray pulled off the Gabriel area tunes extremely well and had more fans saw this they may have had a better reception. As a fan of that lineup I'd would like to have seen what a follow up sounded like.

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    Good points... Agreed, I personally thought the LP was very good as was Ray. Those tunes were great live particularly The Dividing Line. Nir Z was superb. Ray pulled off the Gabriel area tunes extremely well and had more fans saw this they may have had a better reception. As a fan of that lineup I'd would like to have seen what a follow up sounded like.
    Someone was selling a copy of the Poland show on Amazon and I picked it up.
    The quality leaves a lot to be desired, but at least we have a copy of the entire show.
    Agreed, the Dividing Line and a couple other one's are very impressive. Nir Z was fantastic, especially on that tune.
    I don't think I've ever seen Mike as enthusiastic as he was playing some of these songs. They handled the CAS tunes very well.

I've also wondered what a follow up album and tour would be like.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

It was hard for Tony and Mike to overcome the new lead singer problem, someone no one had heard of before, and although I think CAS is a very good album, not enough people bought the album or tickets.
    Plus, I know we all like to bemoan when prog bands try to produce commercially successful music, but it didn't help that they had nothing on the radio (granted, radio was in its death throes anyways), so how many people were even aware they were back? I remember when ELPowell toured behind their album. They had the one song and video that was making the rounds. Yes, they were barely able to put together a tour, but they DID tour. Too bad Genesis didn't have "Roses" on CAS -- it might have helped push them over the edge in North America.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

What if reality wasn't reality and it was just stuff I want, projected from my mind? That would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Many YouTube videos sound like nails on a chalk board because data compression does that to my ears. Are there higher resolution official live videos of SOC? I saw SOC at ROSfest, and it sounded fine. However, Simons behavior of combing his hair over his balding forehead (like his old man) and therefore covering his face, was very weird. Did I actually see him?
    I was also at the ROSfest performance and thought he sounded good too. Too bad the ProgDay gig did not happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Plus, I know we all like to bemoan when prog bands try to produce commercially successful music, but it didn't help that they had nothing on the radio (granted, radio was in its death throes anyways), so how many people were even aware they were back? I remember when ELPowell toured behind their album. They had the one song and video that was making the rounds. Yes, they were barely able to put together a tour, but they DID tour. Too bad Genesis didn't have "Roses" on CAS -- it might have helped push them over the edge in North America.
    Roses is a great song, but I always thought it was a RPWL song written by Yogi Lang with Ray doing guest vocals on it.
    Did they co write it?
    I'm sure RPWL would've loved the exposure, since besides being heavily influenced by Pink Floyd, they also cite Genesis as well.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    What if reality wasn't reality and it was just stuff I want, projected from my mind? That would be awesome.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Did they co write it?
    That was my understanding. And you're right about the Genesis influence. They even have a song on Trying to Kiss the Sun called "I Don't Know (What It's Like"), complete with sitar guitar and everything.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Yes. I mean, the market itself had obviously changed- see Collins' faltering solo sales. This was the beginning of an era where pretty much all rock artists of a certain age would struggle to have bona fide hit singles.

But, assuming the market hadn't changed, there was really nothing on that album which would have been a big hit and Ray Wilson has said as much. ('Not About Us' is probably the best of the singles.) In the Chapter and Verse book he said something like he didn't hear the 'No Son Of Mine' or the 'Mama' on the album, and IMHO he was right. And that was a problem given the many years of hits with Collins.

I actually think there's some good stuff on that album but the ballads like 'Shipwrecked' and 'If That's What You Need' feel like Mechanics cast-offs. So the album ends up falling between two stools.

TBH I watched a show from that tour online years ago and wasn't that impressed, compared with the high standards of their shows with Gabriel/Collins.

Dude, that is Cosmic...It's like "what if Neal Morse threw it all away to become an alligator wrestler?" or something like that.

I remember seeing the video for...what was it? Congo? I remember seeing it, I think exactly once on MTV or VH-1. That was it. Maybe if VH-1 had gotten behidn the single, it might have been different. But I think maybe Phil was so ubiquitous in the media int he 80's and early 90's that it seemed like he WAS Genesis, at least as far as people like MTV or VH-1 were concerned and it was like everyone decided, "This band doesn't have a chance without him". (shrug)

I think Congo was a pretty strong single, but that bizarre video might not have helped. I dunno…

It depends. I mean the adult undergarments.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Dude, that is Cosmic...It's like "what if Neal Morse threw it all away to become an alligator wrestler?" or something like that.
    Or an actual alligator? It can be done - it's almost the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    The entire opening night is on YT. The songs are split into different videos but are all in this playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...cbLK70Ao0pqz3y
    Thanks for the link. That was quick! I watched it all today. Honestly, better than I was expecting but this was a love fest. The crowd wanted to see Genesis and were sympathetic to Phil's health issues and the ravages of Father Time. He was better on some songs than others but this wasn't the crowd to judge. Nic played well on drums but at this stage of his career, he wasn't making anyone forget what monsters Phil and Chester Thompson were. The faithful were happy with the show, laughed at Phil's jokes and got to see the last go round of one of prog/rock/pop giants of the 70's and 80's.

Now if they could somehow get Hackett and Gabriel to show up for the last show of the tour...

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    this was a love fest.
    Good!

I saw the Hackett Seconds Out show the other night and it was wonderful, everyone played immaculately. I never picked up a Genesis ticket, and with my appetite for more whetted, I kind of regret that now. I wasn’t sure I wanted to see the last rites performed on one of the best bands of all time, but enough people I respect have told me how emotionally moving the show was. It has me looking for a couple of tickets, provided the price is not too crazy. If I get to see them one more time that will be great, if I don’t, then I’m not too sad. I do recommend the Hackett show though if you get a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I saw the Hackett Seconds Out show the other night and it was wonderful, everyone played immaculately. I never picked up a Genesis ticket, and with my appetite for more whetted, I kind of regret that now. I wasn’t sure I wanted to see the last rites performed on one of the best bands of all time, but enough people I respect have told me how emotionally moving the show was. It has me looking for a couple of tickets, provided the price is not too crazy. If I get to see them one more time that will be great, if I don’t, then I’m not too sad. I do recommend the Hackett show though if you get a chance.
    Hey man, I have a couple of tickets to the Leeds show on September 27th. I realize that Leeds is a bit of a drive from London and it's short notice, but I won't be able to attend that show (I'm going to the one in North Carolina instead). I'd sell you one (or both), just PM me if you're interested. They're pretty good seats.

I'd love to catch one of Hackett's shows again. He and his band put on a fantastic performance when I saw them in 2014.

Thanks for that - best thing I've read in a long time

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000jw View Post
    Thanks for that - best thing I've read in a long time
    There is a difference between reality projected from a mind, versus reality projected from an a$$hole

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I remember seeing the video for...what was it? Congo? I remember seeing it, I think exactly once on MTV or VH-1. That was it. Maybe if VH-1 had gotten behidn the single, it might have been different. But I think maybe Phil was so ubiquitous in the media int he 80's and early 90's that it seemed like he WAS Genesis, at least as far as people like MTV or VH-1 were concerned and it was like everyone decided, "This band doesn't have a chance without him". (shrug)
    I remember hearing radio on air personalities, and folks in general refer to a Genesis song or tour as Phil Collins with Genesis.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Hey man, I have a couple of tickets to the Leeds show on September 27th. I realize that Leeds is a bit of a drive from London and it's short notice, but I won't be able to attend that show (I'm going to the one in North Carolina instead). I'd sell you one (or both), just PM me if you're interested. They're pretty good seats.

I'd love to catch one of Hackett's shows again. He and his band put on a fantastic performance when I saw them in 2014.
    That is such a kind offer, thank you, but as explained in my PM I cannot make the trip to Leeds right now, so it’s London or nothing for me. I hope the tickets find a good home for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    He was better on some songs than others but this wasn't the crowd to judge.
    Yeah, I'm wondering what the reaction would be at Glastonbury, or Reading.

Seldom we see such emotional farewell ... it's coming soon