Page 30 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Domino tour 2021

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I am under the impression that the "foot drop" thing is another side effect of his back problems.
    That could very well be true.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    It won't play for me. Can you post the songs?
    I did not write them down but can remember: Mama, Classic Old medley ending with Afterglow, Land of confusion (video based on the pandemic now), Domino (no brainier) and Turn it on again (of the ones I can be sure).

Yeah, I also had trouble logging in but did all kinds of clicking and found my way in. Video quality is excellent.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    ^^^ Thanks for the summary of tunes. I was able to see the video through YouTube.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Absolutely by far the best Old medley ever! Not sure if it is also on the Wembley video (?) but this version really kills it! If not, I wonder if there is a dime file sharing download possibility..
    Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    ^ pretty killer medley there. Phil sounds great.
    He's more than great, to me he and his drumming are THE defining aspect of what gave Genesis their power onstage. No disrespect whatsoever to Banks and his solos + chords are a key aspect of the songwriting...but when they're onstage, it's Collins who is pushing the energy up to the ledge. I mean, his hits and fills in that Apocalypse 9/8 are so punched up and full of fire. Even something as "straightforward" as In that Quiet Earth, he kicks it up a notch.

For me, when I listen back to all the Cinema Show medley moments, the ultimate variation and element that defines their point in the timeline is the drums: compare each of the players and their parts from the Rainbow 73 to Three Sides Live (my own favorite version of the tune) to the 86 tour and then 2007. It's the drums that vary the most both good and bad.

IMHO.
    Last edited by battema; 09-08-2021 at 12:17 PM.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    As you know I just saw Lindsey Buckingham a few nights ago. He is 71 and I honestly thought he sounded the best vocally that I have ever heard him. Granted it was early in the tour, but considering his health issues in the last few years I was pretty amazed at how good he sounded vocally.
    In 2007, Lindsey Buckingham's voice sounded stronger than Phil Collins. Viewing the performance clips from the recent documentary footage in this thread, I don't think Lindsey and Phil can be placed on the same professional level in present day.

Now imagine if they brought this tour out, with this light show, with Ray Wilson on vocals. Better yet, with Simon Collins on vocals and second drum set.

I wonder if the band has any contingency plan if Phil is not up for the tour.
    Last edited by noisynoise; 09-08-2021 at 12:44 PM.
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Genesis has always been a great live band, and I do have faith that Tony and Mike wouldn't go out if they didn't think the show would be good.

But after watching that video, I don't see how they can pull this off. I do wish them well, though.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Among the lovely things about Invisible Touch is that the tour gave us IMHO one of THE best old medleys the band has ever done.
    I tend to refer to the medleys as "Tony's Revenge", especially as the 80s went along and his parts in the newer songs became more and more simplistic.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by noisynoise View Post
    Now imagine if they brought this tour out, with this light show, with Ray Wilson on vocals. Better yet, with Simon Collins on vocals and second drum set.

I wonder if the band has any contingency plan if Phil is not up for the tour.
    The thought of bringing in Simon to help out has crossed my mind as well. Having seen him live, he is also a great drummer, frontman and has a voice similar to Phil's.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I tend to refer to the medleys as "Tony's Revenge", especially as the 80s went along and his parts in the newer songs became more and more simplistic.
    You don't think that was his choice?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    In 2007, Lindsey Buckingham's voice sounded stronger than Phil Collins. Viewing the performance clips from the recent documentary footage in this thread, I don't think Lindsey and Phil can be placed on the same professional level in present day.
    Stronger than Phil Collins did in 2007?

Lindsay Buckingham, and other contemporaries like Daryl Hall and Todd Rundgren, are exceptional examples of people who have kept their singing voices into their 70s. Most people are not on the same professional level as those guys, vocally. Phil still sounds like Phil -- just an older version of himself, and that's all right with me. I'm not comparing him to someone else.

Well, as much as I liked the 2007 tour, there was a lot of de-tuning then as well. And it's continued- 'Mama' is now two whole tones lower than the original version. I think 'The Last Domino' is even more than that, two and a half??

I agree that the staging here looked very impressive, particularly 'Land Of Confusion'.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Yeah, great stuff in that medley. There are a couple of drum fills I miss during the first Cage keyboard solo, but that's just me being picky. This was an interesting time; some new fans were brought in via the new hit singles and left these shows with an appreciation for stuff like this that they had never heard before. Phil did such an admirable job of the vocals too, that's a hard song to sing. In That Quiet Earth sounded great too (fun fact: In That Quiet Earth often plays in my head without me realizing it, usually first thing in the morning when I get up. I have no idea why. Sometimes after a few minutes I realize I've been thinking of every note of it in real time, and it has eventually drifted into Afterglow. Strange, but it's been happening for years). Apocalypse in 9/8 is great, but the final section is played a bit slow for my tastes.
    Quiet Earth is a very compelling melody and all-around amazing tune....I can see why its "embedded" into your mental hardrive. Could be WAY worse!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Well, as much as I liked the 2007 tour, there was a lot of de-tuning then as well. And it's continued- 'Mama' is now two whole tones lower than the original version. I think 'The Last Domino' is even more than that, two and a half??

I agree that the staging here looked very impressive, particularly 'Land Of Confusion'.
    There was some detuning back in '92 as well, even on the newer tunes. There's one in the middle of "Driving the Last Spike" that still throws me a bit when I hear it.

IMHO PC's voice most changed from Invisible Touch -> We Can't Dance. He had lines he almost screamed on the former, and maybe he did and "mucked" things up a bit. The PC I hear in the PBS documentary does sound like a fairly straight line from '92-'21 to my ears.

And while PC won't be in any top 10 list for singers who lost something along the way, he's also FAR from being in the 10 top singers who lost the most (Ian Anderson/Steve Walsh/Tom Keefer...that list goes on and freaking on...).

I will say, Domino is one of my fave Genesis songs of that era and in the PBS clip I couldn't recognize it at first from the pitch and timbre changes.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quiet Earth is a very compelling melody and all-around amazing tune....I can see why its "embedded" into your mental hardrive. Could be WAY worse!
    I was really surprised that Quiet Earth didn't end up in the medley or somewhere else in the set in 2007.

Indeed. I shudder to think of what my 'Groundhog Day' song could have been all these years...

There was some detuning back in '92 as well, even on the newer tunes. There's one in the middle of "Driving the Last Spike" that still throws me a bit when I hear it.
    Yes, if I recall, the shift occurred during Mike's riffs that lead into "We worked, how we worked like the devil for our pay..." - is that the one you mean? I assume that final third of the song was rather challenging to pull off live on a nightly basis in its original key.

I was really surprised that Quiet Earth didn't end up in the medley or somewhere else in the set in 2007.
    Just one of those 'Ya can't play everything' tracks I suppose, so it's kind of bounced in and out of the set over the decades.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Yes, if I recall, the shift occurred during Mike's riffs that lead into "We worked, how we worked like the devil for our pay..." - is that the one you mean? I assume that final third of the song was rather challenging to pull off live on a nightly basis in its original key.
    Yep, that's exactly the one. And I'm sure that was a stressor on the vocal chords for sure

Yep, that's exactly the one. And I'm sure that was a stressor on the vocal chords for sure
    Oh yeah! It's such a great song, but I can understand how singing that second half in the original key might be difficult night after night.

Yes the early 90s had that happening. Even on the Invisible Touch tour, the title track and (I think?) 'Land Of Confusion' weren't played in the key they were in on the studio album.

Songs in the original album key were few and far between by 2007 (of the tracks with vocals, I only remember 'Follow You Follow Me' and the end of 'Second Home By The Sea' being the same...was that it?). But I still enjoyed that tour. It was a balanced set and Collins did a fair amount of drumming.

Yes that's right. Though I think that, 'Dreaming While You Sleep' and 'Fading Lights' (shifted down a half-step) were very strong live.

The ending of Suppers Ready on the IT Tour (before it was removed from the setlist ) was tough to listen to as Phil was screeching to hit the high notes.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I think that, 'Dreaming While You Sleep' and 'Fading Lights' (shifted down a half-step) were very strong live.
    They were indeed. I'm fortunate to have seen them and I remember them all well. Phil sat in a chair (Ha!) for the beginning of Dreaming, which was very atmospheric live.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The Hackett gigs totally slay that beast. Even with the soprano sax

This is perhaps my favorite version of Driving the Last Spike - not exactly sure why; just seems to have a lot more passion than other live versions out there. Has the key been dropped on this one? [Edit - supposedly original key per the YouTube description, but can someone with a better ear than me verify?]

And while PC won't be in any top 10 list for singers who lost something along the way, he's also FAR from being in the 10 top singers who lost the most (Ian Anderson/Steve Walsh/Tom Keefer...that list goes on and freaking on...).
    Yeah, I agree with you. Funnily enough, Steve Walsh was the first one that popped into my head as I started reading this sentence -- and then you mentioned him. Walsh's voice changed so much that I didn't even know it was him singing on "Icarus II" until I saw the concert video in the Sail On box set. Not sure how he lost it exactly, but man he had a phenomenal voice back in his heyday. One of my favorite rock singers ever. And he was also a brilliant keyboard player! That's just not fair.