Page 3 of 74 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Domino tour 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I can't imagine why anyone would pay to see this.
    Agreed, it baffles me too. Seems like a very cynical money grab especially with the limited abilities of poor Phil. Still, it seems many people hear what they want to hear and will lap it up given the chance.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Agreed, it baffles me too. Seems like a very cynical money grab especially with the limited abilities of poor Phil. Still, it seems many people hear what they want to hear and will lap it up given the chance.
    For some, it might be a little more complex.

As suggested by my previous posts, I have very low expectations for this reunion, and would prefer it not to happen as I am unsure it will be a worthy addition to the band's legacy.

And yet I plan on going because they are my favorite band, they have brought me so much over the years, and it will probably be the last time I see them. Plus, if there's a slim chance that this turns out better than I expect it to be, I'd rather be there to see it!

I think it's very unlikely that there will be large scale concerts happening here by September, and that it will be postponed again. It would be great if they could spend that time writing new stuff!

I'm looking forward to it, it'll be different for sure, but a good show still.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    For some, it might be a little more complex.

As suggested by my previous posts, I have very low expectations for this reunion, and would prefer it not to happen as I am unsure it will be a worthy addition to the band's legacy.

And yet I plan on going because they are my favorite band, they have brought me so much over the years, and it will probably be the last time I see them. Plus, if there's a slim chance that this turns out better than I expect it to be, I'd rather be there to see it!
    I’m going to watch the video, but I would never waste my time to attend another Gspot show. There is just so many more things to do and especially after COVID end there will be so many shows because of the huge backlog. The Hackett show which appears to be conflicting in the UK would never be a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I’m going to watch the video, but I would never waste my time to attend another Gspot show. There is just so many more things to do and especially after COVID end there will be so many shows because of the huge backlog. The Hackett show which appears to be conflicting in the UK would never be a waste of time.
    Keep in mind that tickets went on sale a year ago when there was no Covid and no conflict with Hackett shows. Priorities were different back then.

I can't imagine why anyone would pay to see this.
    I totally understand where you are coming from, but if they do a U.S. tour I would still probably go. I guess we'll see what happens.

Banned
    Domino dates

9/15 – Dublin 3Arena, Ireland
    9/16 – Dublin 3Arena, Ireland
    9/18 – Belfast SSE Arena, UK
    9/20 – Birmingham Utilita Arena, UK
    9/21 – Birmingham Utilita Arena, UK
    9/22 – Birmingham Utilita Arena, UK
    9/24 – Manchester Arena, UK
    9/25 – Manchester Arena, UK
    9/27 – Leeds First Direct Arena, UK
    9/28 – Leeds First Direct Arena, UK
    9/30 – Newcastle Utilita Arena, UK
    10/1 – Newcastle Utilita Arena, UK
    10/3 – Liverpool M&S Bank Arena, UK
    10/4 – Liverpool M&S Bank Arena, UK
    10/7 – Glasgow SSE Hydro, UK
    10/8 – Glasgow SSE Hydro, UK
    10/11 – London The O2, UK
    10/12 – London The O2, UK
    10/13 – London The O2, UK

Hackett UK 2021

These are rescheduled shows. Tickets remain valid.
    10 September 2021 - De Montfort Hall, Leicester, UK - TICKETS | VIP EXPERIENCE
    11 September 2021 - Philharmonic, Liverpool, UK - TICKETS | VIP EXPERIENCE
    12 September 2021 - Victoria Hall, Stoke, UK - TICKETS | VIP EXPERIENCE
    14 September 2021 - Symphony Hall, Birmingham, UK - TICKETS | VIP EXPERIENCE
    15 September 2021 - Corn Exchange, Cambridge, UK - TICKETS | VIP EXPERIENCE
    17 September 2021 - St David's Hall, Cardiff, UK - TICKETS | VIP EXPERIENCE
    18 September 2021 - The Anvil, Basingstoke, UK - TICKETS | VIP EXPERIENCE
    20 September 2021 - Palladium, London, UK - TICKETS | VIP EXPERIENCE
    21 September 2021 - Palladium, London, UK - TICKETS | VIP EXPERIENCE
    22 September 2021 - Palladium, London, UK - TICKETS | VIP EXPERIENCE
    24 September 2021 - O2 Apollo, Manchester, UK - TICKETS | VIP EXPERIENCE
    25 September 2021 - Playhouse, Edinburgh, UK - TICKETS | VIP EXPERIENCE
    27 September 2021 - Royal Concert Hall, Glasgow, UK - TICKETS | VIP EXPERIENCE
    28 September 2021 - Caird Hall, Dundee, UK - TICKETS | VIP EXPERIENCE
    30 September 2021 - The Baths Hall, Scunthorpe, UK - TICKETS | VIP EXPERIENCE
    01 October 2021 - St George's Hall, Bradford, UK - TICKETS | VIP EXPERIENCE
    02 October 2021 - Royal Concert Hall, Nottingham, UK - TICKETS | VIP EXPERIENCE
    04 October 2021 - Fairfield Halls, Croydon, UK - TICKETS | VIP EXPERIENCE
    05 October 2021 - G Live, Guildford, UK - TICKETS | VIP EXPERIENCE
    07 October 2021 - Dome, Brighton, UK - TICKETS | VIP EXPERIENCE
    08 October 2021 - Lighthouse, Poole, UK - TICKETS | VIP EXPERIENCE
    09 October 2021 - De La Warr Pavilion, Bexhill, UK - TICKETS | VIP EXPERIENCE
    11 October 2021 - Mayflower, Southampton, UK - TICKETS | VIP EXPERIENCE
    12 October 2021 - Pavilions, Plymouth, UK - TICKETS | VIP EXPERIENCE
    14 October 2021 - The Sands Centre, Carlisle, UK - TICKETS | VIP EXPERIENCE
    15 October 2021 - Stockton Globe, Stockton, UK - TICKETS | VIP EXPERIENCE
    16 October 2021 - O2 City Hall, Newcastle, UK - TICKETS | VIP EXPERIENCE
    18 October 2021 - Waterside, Aylesbury, UK - TICKETS | VIP EXPERIENCE
    19 October 2021 - New Theatre, Oxford, UK - TICKETS | VIP EXPERIENCE
    21 October 2021 - Cresset, Peterborough, UK - TICKETS | VIP EXPERIENCE
    22 October 2021 - Royal Hall, Harrogate, UK - TICKETS | VIP EXPERIENCE
    Rescheduled & New EUROPE shows - November 2021
    Steve Hackett Genesis Revisited 2021/22 Tour - SECONDS OUT + MORE!

Give it a rest already. You're sounding like a broken record.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Give it a rest already. You're sounding like a broken record.
    You don't like different opinions do you?

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Keep in mind that tickets went on sale a year ago when there was no Covid and no conflict with Hackett shows. Priorities were different back then.
    That doesn't jive with the "Genesis vs. Hackett" narrative. You're correct though.

You don't like different opinions do you?
    Honestly, I could not care less what you think about Genesis or this tour they're doing -- or what you think about me, since I'm one of those people who "hear what they want to hear" and will "lap it up given the chance" by going to see them.

However, you've already made your point several times over since this tour was first announced almost a year ago. You're just beating a dead horse at this point. It would be nice to actually discuss this tour with people who are interested in it, without all the noise.

Honestly, I could not care less what you think about Genesis or this tour they're doing -- or what you think about me, since I'm one of those people who "hear what they want to hear" and will "lap it up given the chance" by going to see them.

However, you've already made your point several times over since this tour was first announced almost a year ago. You're just beating a dead horse at this point. It would be nice to actually discuss this tour with people who are interested in it, without all the noise.
    I didn't think it was a 'fanboys only' requirement here but since you don't like my posts then please by all means ignore them and I will ignore yours too.

Seriously?
    Seriously.

Phil can't even stand, and really can't sing anymore. The songs will be slower and in a different key. I was out in 2007, and nothing has improved since then.

It's okay for these things to end. Really.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Phil can’t stan… I guess seeing Robert Wyatt would be a crime too, let alone 80 people in an orchestra all sitting led by conductor Gustavo Dudamel.

What an embarrassment of a comment, making fun or worse, criticizing of a person with a disability still trying to go out there and put a show for his fans. Some people….. can’t help themselves.

Money grab? This borders in ignorance or malice, Phil alone is worth 300 million dollars, he is out there having fun with his life long friends, nostalgia, one more time for the loyal fans, whatever, but money?, some people .... can't help themselves

Some can't imagine who would pay to see Genesis, maybe for first time in their lives. So sad that some people have zero imagination, must be awful not being able to imagine

Quote Originally Posted by begnagrad View Post
    Phil can’t stan… I guess seeing Robert Wyatt would be a crime too, let alone 80 people in an orchestra all sitting led by conductor Gustavo Dudamel.

What an embarrassment of a comment, making fun or worse, criticizing of a person with a disability still trying to go out there and put a show for his fans. Some people….. can’t help themselves.

Money grab? This borders in ignorance or malice, Phil alone is worth 300 million dollars, he is out there having fun with his life long friends, nostalgia, one more time for the loyal fans, whatever, but money?, some people .... can't help themselves

Some can't imagine who would pay to see Genesis, maybe for first time in their lives. So sad that some people have zero imagination, must be awful not being able to imagine
    It wasn't a criticism. Just a statement of fact. I have no interest in seeing a decrepit Phil Collins sing weakly and in a lower key. Sorry if that offends.

Is Phil still worth that much with all of the divorces? I don't begrudge any musician making money, especially with the way the industry has gone. I just don't feel the need to contribute to it.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by begnagrad View Post
    Phil can’t stan… I guess seeing Robert Wyatt would be a crime too (...)

You have a point, yet I don't believe the comparison to be perfectly valid.
    Wyatt never had a powerful voice that would require standing up to be able to project it properly. I believe Phil did, at least from the 80s onwards.

The kind of shows that Genesis do requires a certain amount of stage presence that implies having a singer able to stand and move around. From that point of view, I understand those who question what the end result will be like with Phil sitting down. An actor who is unable to stand onstage will not be able to play the same parts as an actor able to stand and move, which does not mean that he should be considered worthless as an actor.

Maybe the end result will be perfectly enjoyable but the interrogations regarding Phil's physical condition are perfectly valid and not as disrespectful as you suggest they are.
    Not just a Genesis fanboy.

And yet I've seen you gushing over post-Anderson/Squire Yes, who are surely even more feeble. No disparity there.

I've little interest in this Genesis tour either, I wouldn't be going even in normal circumstances. I think it's probably one tour too many. But come on.

Seriously.

Phil can't even stand, and really can't sing anymore. The songs will be slower and in a different key. I was out in 2007, and nothing has improved since then.

The 2007 tour was good despite the heavy down-tuning, and I thought a pretty fitting way for that line-up to go out.

I'd heard rumours from people 'in the know' that they were rehearsing for/planning a 2020 tour for some time, so I wasn't surprised by the eventual announcement. But I've never been wholly convinced it will sound that good. I'm glad there's some activity keeping the name out there- bear in mind they barely had a functioning website before this- but that's about it.
    Last edited by JJ88; 01-26-2021 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The 2007 tour was good despite the heavy down-tuning, and I thought a pretty fitting way for that line-up to go out.

I'd heard rumours from people 'in the know' that they were rehearsing for/planning a 2020 tour for some time, so I wasn't surprised by the eventual announcement. But I've never been wholly convinced it will sound that good. I'm glad there's some activity keeping the name out there- bear in mind they barely had a functioning website before this- but that's about it.
    I had no interest in the 2007 tour, but I know many did, and I agree that it was a nice way to wrap things up. They could basically all play, and by most accounts, they put on a good show. The stuff I've heard from the tour didn't make me feel like I missed anything, but it sounds like they delivered.

I just can't see how this tour, now 14 years later, can be up to those standards.

I didn't think it was a 'fanboys only' requirement here but since you don't like my posts then please by all means ignore them and I will ignore yours too.
    Nice try, but you know that's not what I said. Take down your straw man, please.

If you enjoy coming into this thread to keep reiterating how you think this tour is a money grab and that it will be terrible, well I won't stop you. But I can't help thinking there are better, or at least more constructive things to spend one's time doing.

Seriously.

You and I imagine things differently then. And that's fine.

I bought tickets because this is the first -- and only -- opportunity I've had to see my favorite band in concert. And it's probably the last time these guys will be on stage together. I don't expect it to be the same as the 2007 tour, or their tours in the 90s, 80s, or 70s. I'm not going to be comparing it to their past shows, I'm just going (hopefully) to see the musicians I love performing together for what's probably the last time it'll ever happen.

If you had no interest in the 2007 reunion, it's no surprise that this one wouldn't interest you either. But you're only seeing part of the picture whether you realize it or not, FWIW. By all means, save your money and don't go.

I agree. And I had long ago made peace with the idea that the 2007 tour was the end and that I'd never get to see them. But they have the right to go out there and perform as Genesis if they want to; they've earned it, as far as I'm concerned. I've been given a chance to see them now, and by gosh I'm taking it.

As for their age and physical condition, nothing about it is "embarrassing", and it's not going to somehow tarnish my memories of the band's past. I appreciate that those guys are all still friends and actually want to perform together even at this stage in their lives.
    Last edited by aith01; 01-27-2021 at 04:35 PM.

But I can't help thinking there are better, or at least more constructive things to spend one's time doing.
    Like drinking beer.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Like drinking beer.
    Not a bad idea, my man. Any suggestions?

I had no interest in the 2007 tour, but I know many did, and I agree that it was a nice way to wrap things up. They could basically all play, and by most accounts, they put on a good show. The stuff I've heard from the tour didn't make me feel like I missed anything, but it sounds like they delivered.

I just can't see how this tour, now 14 years later, can be up to those standards.

You know Scott I actually think they will be at least at the same level performance wise as 2007 and maybe a little better and hear is why... I heard a few of the shows from Europe before seeing them stateside. It was obvious right of the bat that Phil had lost a bit behind the kit. He really did not play to the level he had on any previous tour with Genesis or solo. His health had already begun to affect his drumming. I noticed songs where he played with Chester were the slowest ones of the set list. They sounded far better with Chester by himself... my take anyway. Having said that I still enjoyed the tunes played with both. Los Endos in particular I thought was great, the drum stool thing really worked. Anyway Daryl can still rip and if Mike and Tony hold up there end they should be fine at least for my expectations. I'm more worried that his son may not have the chops needed. I mentioned on other threads I wish they were going to use 2 drummers... brother Simon added in would have been great or certainly Chester! I don't mind the slower tempo's if needed or the lower key's. So agreed if 2007 was the end they would have went out well. I was at the the last show which was cool to say I saw the last show of my favorite band... fast forward all these years, if they think they can pull of another tour than I'm sure they will. This clearly to me can't be about money they wouldn't embarrass themselves for a cash grab ( at least I hope not LOL) and I know the stage show will be awesome as always and worth the price of admission.

It really comes down to two camps, the old timers who don't want to see the band performing to a level not equal to their glory days and old-timers like me who just want to relive my youth with these guys one more time... I know they will not be the band I saw in Berkeley all those years ago and I'm ok with that. You know I just thought of a third camp, the young people who have grown to love them and may have never seen them or seen them once... I'm sure this tour will be worth it to them.

I do wonder about the addition of the background singers. Not a lot of harmonies in latter day Genesis.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Not a bad idea, my man. Any suggestions?
    I'm drinking a Willoughby Peanut Butter Coffee Porter right now, but you can't go wrong with a New England IPA these days.