Page 19 of 74 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Domino tour 2021

Has anyone heard about whether any of these shows will be live streamed for a pay-per-view event?
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Well, I actually did it. I bought two tickets for the second Toronto show. $253.50 all in. The nosebleeds, but at least I will actually be able to say that I saw Genesis live, haha.

Strangely, the prices for tickets for the second show are way less than the first. But hey, nothing strange going on here at all, nope, nothing. Also, the only option for getting tickets is off of a cell phone. So, if my girlfriend didn't have a cell phone, I wouldn't be able to go. I knew...sooner or later...this day would come, lol.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    I kind of agree but not entirely. When you say "younger generation of fans" I'm thinking those who are maybe 25 years old or younger. But really anyone 55 and younger, which covers a wide age range, are too young to have seen the band during the PG era and most would probably miss the SH era too.

While I don't think they should concentrate on the early stuff I do think if they want to provide an accurate account of their entire history they should include at least a few songs from the early days. Why would they only do stuff from the trio era when there are clearly fans who like all eras not to mention those who prefer the prog era. There's probably more Genesis fans who know and like (no pun intended) the early version of the band than you might think.
    This has become an interesting chat. Yes, there are younger fans and even the ones from the 80's are still in their 50's as you say and have the income to pay ticket prices for this tour (but that is another subject).

I had a thought about the "timeless" terminology; and those early 70's songs apply just as well as for example the songs that legends like Tony Bennett (as old as he is) who sings songs from the 50's and 60's still today and are staples on his shows. This accurate historical account would be similar to what Rush did for their final R40 tour when they started with Clockwork Angels and ended with Working Man from their Rush debut.

The same can be validated for Genesis, but still I would say the bulk of the setlist for this Domino" tour will be from the 1978-1992 Era even if us older fans would love to hear the old tunes for one last time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    This has become an interesting chat. Yes, there are younger fans and even the ones from the 80's are still in their 50's as you say and have the income to pay ticket prices for this tour (but that is another subject).

I had a thought about the "timeless" terminology; and those early 70's songs apply just as well as for example the songs that legends like Tony Bennett (as old as he is) who sings songs from the 50's and 60's still today and are staples on his shows. This accurate historical account would be similar to what Rush did for their final R40 tour when they started with Clockwork Angels and ended with Working Man from their Rush debut.

The same can be validated for Genesis, but still I would say the bulk of the setlist for this Domino" tour will be from the 1978-1992 Era even if us older fans would love to hear the old tunes for one last time.
    My point was that probably a relatively small number of their fans could be considered younger or at least compared to those who are older and those who are considered older(like me-I'm 51) are still not old enough to have seen the band in the seventies. That's all. I don't want to beat that into the ground and I don't have facts and figures or statistics but I'm willing to guess that at least 50 percent of their fans got into them in the eighties or later but I don't think they are a band that many younger folks(as in teenagers in the 00's or later)discovered or got into but neither is Yes.

Anyway, yes I agree that the majority of their set list will be from the post PG and post SH era. The three piece version of the band has been the main lineup for the past 40 years(not counting the hiatus PC took when RW took over)so why should they play much material before that? They will concentrate on the music that sold the most and who can blame them.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    It’s not a question of blame, it’s really a question of whether even this thread should be on the main board since it doesn’t represent “Progressive Ears”.
    Oh my gosh... Is this what it's come to?

It’s not a question of blame, it’s really a question of whether even this thread should be on the main board since it doesn’t represent “Progressive Ears”.
    Based on the wording of some of the responses it seems to me that some people expect or at least secretly hope they will do the same kind of set list that Steve Hackett does(or at least mostly older Genesis). That just doesn't seem realistic to me.

Anyway, if the mods want to move this thread to OT because it's discussing the current lineup of Genesis then that's fine by me.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Based on the wording of some of the responses it seems to me that some people expect or at least secretly hope they will do the same kind of set list that Steve Hackett does(or at least mostly older Genesis).
    Really? I haven't gotten that impression. Not saying you're wrong, but people would be delusional if they think it will be a setlist resembling Hackett's "Genesis Revisited" shows, IMO.

Speaking for myself, my love of Genesis' music extends throughout their whole catalog (not just the 70s) so I will be totally happy to see them perform the later stuff.

Not recording new music for 2 years, is insignificant compared to not recording new music for 25 years. The problem with digital precision is the loss of the bigger picture of the forest before the trees.
    So are we restricting discussion on the main board to only bands who have continued making new music? This seems conveniently selective.

People who wring their hands over which thread belongs in which sub-forum seriously need to get a life. Click 'New Threads' and scroll past the nasty meanies out there who like to talk about music you don't like. Scroll to your heart's content. Scroll 'til your scroll wheel can't scroll no more scrolls.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I never realized the rules here were that strict.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Really? I haven't gotten that impression. Not saying you're wrong, but people would be delusional if they think it will be a setlist resembling Hackett's "Genesis Revisited" shows, IMO.

Speaking for myself, my love of Genesis' music extends throughout their whole catalog (not just the 70s) so I will be totally happy to see them perform the later stuff.
    Same here. I'm just glad they decided to go out there one last time(probably) when they don't really have to especially with no new album on the horizon. They are doing this for the fans. For me personally it helps to view Genesis as two separate bands. Once Steve left they sort of morphed (albeit gradually) into a different kind of band. One wasn't better than the other but just different. Being that we know what we are going to get there's no reason not enjoy it (not to mention not be disappointed).

Anyway, I didn't mean they think the set list would be like Steve's (or the Musical Box for that matter)just that they wish it were(at least that's the sense I got). If people don't like the later Genesis then don't go.

So, which Roxy Music albums we discuss here and which ones are relegated to another board?
    90125 goes where?
    Zappa? Do we open a jazz forum and a classical one to discuss some of his releases?

This seems silly to me. Genesis is one of the biggest names in the history of the genre. This is very likely their last tour ever. Of course it belongs on the main board. And I'm someone who buys and listens almost exclusively to new, original music.

Neil

Discussing albums which are released at anytime and where the subjects are organized, is different than discussing tours of bands which haven’t created new music in decades. If it was possible, I would split the main forum into artists which have created new music in the last 15 years and another for bands which haven’t. As to what artists are organized wrt to progressive labels is so subjective and maybe the most appropriate way to discriminate is by poll. The idea of a poll is not to exclude, but to highlight newer progressive music.
    No offense, but I would leave your message board if it were split up like that.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Bump.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Discussing albums which are released at anytime and where the subjects are organized, is different than discussing tours of bands which haven’t created new music in decades. If it was possible, I would split the main forum into artists which have created new music in the last 15 years and another for bands which haven’t. As to what artists are organized wrt to progressive labels is so subjective and maybe the most appropriate way to discriminate is by poll. The idea of a poll is not to exclude, but to highlight newer progressive music.
    You could always start your own message board. What would you call it if you did?

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I don’t want to start a new message board, I would like PE to have a forum focused on newer music. How new is up for debate, and music which reached a clarity wrt category, would graduate into the appropriate category. Let’s say the “Newer” music is not easily categorized with consensus, but after sufficient time, a poll of members would decide if a piece of music continues to reside in “Newer” or the categories currently defined for PE.
    Does the New Release thread not count? It's got a sticky and everything. I look at it from time to time (been a while though).

"I don't want to start a new message board, I just want to tell other people how their long-established board should be run based on this arbitrary criteria that only makes sense to me."
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Rather than start a new category, why not use the tried and true method of not clicking on a group or subject you know you are not interested in.
    I think the title is quite explanatory of what it is Genesis Domino Tour. JUst don't click on it....easy peasy.
    Submit a suggestion to the Admin, debating with other members will have less effect than going to Admin.
    And as it's been stated already, we have other threads and forums here that discuss new releases and artists.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Its easier just to combine the forums for viewing, imo. I know that takes away some of the "enjoyment" for
    those who go full-on Svetonio and like to argue about what goes where.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
    those who go full-on Svetonio
    Not a bad sig!

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Not a bad sig!

Neil

I bought a pair of tix because I have been to every Genesis tour since W&W. Would be bad luck to break that streak now LOL. Impossible to pick a track list that will please everybody, so why even try. Reality is there are far more in the We Can't Dance generation than W&W. I expect that the track list will be similar to 2007. Would be nice to see them do a song that has never been done live before though. Heck, with the whole key lowering thing, maybe Phil can sing the intro to Crawlers. That's be pretty cool actually.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I had a DVD box of Genesis "When In Rome" 2007 but the discs were paper replica's (WTF). I ordered a new copy off Amazon.ca that arrived in one day.

I was surprised at how much classic stuff was played - In The Cage (excerpt from Cinema Show and Duke's Travels), Afterglow, Follow You Follow Me, Firth of Fifth (excerpt), Ripples, Los Endos, I Know What I Like, and Carpet Crawlers.

If there is anything close to this list at the show this fall, I'd be thrilled!
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 06-14-2021 at 08:57 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post

I don't know if PC's son is up to the task of playing those older songs. That is not a knock on him, it is more complicated than PC solo. He sounds fine doing his Dad's stuff, I just don't know. They did go back and played parts or all of 7 songs from before the 3 man Genesis during the 2007 tour. The vast majority of fans are not from the Gabriel days. As an oldie, bring on The Knife or Supper's Ready, but that's not going to happen. The last time they played SR, Banks said most of the fans had no idea what that was. I'm interested to see the setlist. I just hope its not a clone of the 2007 tour.