Page 35 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Domino tour 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    However, even when they were more of a pop rock band and much less of a prog band they still didn't really sound like other bands so I can't really say I disagree with him that much.
    This is something I've always thought. Genesis didn't sound like other groups who were around at that time and getting airplay in the 80s, in spite of "going pop". Which is why the allegation I've seen online some places (like ProgArchives ) that they became a "bland pop band" is baloney, IMO.

I still don't feel that they ever abandoned prog; some of their stuff was still highly idiosyncratic, even on Invisible Touch. But I think they learned that they could evolve and streamline their sound while still retaining a unique identity, and they totally succeeded (again, IMO).
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

The tour starts tonight in Birmingham. We'll soon know how this all goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    The tour starts tonight in Birmingham. We'll soon know how this all goes down.
    Our neighbours are going. Hopefully I'll be able to report back.

Quote Originally Posted by 2 Sheds View Post
    Our neighbours are going. Hopefully I'll be able to report back.
    Cool. I wonder if anyone from here at PE is going. If so, please let us know your thoughts about the show. Hopefully all goes well !

I'm going to the NEC gig tomorrow (21st). Last time I saw them here was when they toured with Ray Wilson. Quite looking forward to it.

Still no word if any of the shows will be available as a pay-per-view event?
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

A bit unrelated but nevertheless.. all the talk of Genesis 80's-90's period where their music "changed" or better yet "adapted" to market forces.. Listening to ZZ Top's Greatest hits album this morning.. talk about a band that changed with the times but to my memory they never got slagged for doing so.. Cult status (at least in Texas) before they had a "hit" La Grange, Tush (both were on our lunch room juke box). Then turned the $'s faucet on full force when MTV promoted the hell out of Legs and a host of other videos.. One band I really wished I had seen in their prime..

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    That 'cult' band played large venues in the UK in the 70's such as Earls Court in London and headlined their own outdoor show at Knebworth in '78.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk
    I knew that was coming. Lol. In the US they weren't that much more than a cult band imo though. They went beyond that with follow you follow me. Cult doesn't mean a tiny following. It just means a band that hasn't achieved a lot of commercial success and mainly draws in people who didn't find out about their music through their hits(maybe because they had no hits). Gentle Giant were also mostly a cult band. Trust me, it's not a bad thing.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    This is something I've always thought. Genesis didn't sound like other groups who were around at that time and getting airplay in the 80s, in spite of "going pop". Which is why the allegation I've seen online some places (like ProgArchives ) that they became a "bland pop band" is baloney, IMO.

I still don't feel that they ever abandoned prog; some of their stuff was still highly idiosyncratic, even on Invisible Touch. But I think they learned that they could evolve and streamline their sound while still retaining a unique identity, and they totally succeeded (again, IMO).
    Yeah, what other pop or pop rock bands were doing long songs like Domino or Tonight, Tonight, Tonight in the eighties? Maybe some but not many I can think of. Even a "pop" song that was a bit long such as "Sowing the seeds of Love" by TFF doesn't sound like Genesis and it doesn't even sound like prog(not that that is that important).
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Yeah, what other pop or pop rock bands were doing long songs like Domino or Tonight, Tonight, Tonight in the eighties? Maybe some but not many I can think of. Even a "pop" song that was a bit long such as "Sowing the seeds of Love" by TFF doesn't sound like Genesis and it doesn't even sound like prog(not that that is that important).
    Yeah, I agree with you. I think at least part of that reason is with Genesis you had two songwriters (Mike and Tony) who have fairly distinctive styles, with Phil serving as the "glue" between them. So whenever they wrote/jammed together, it sounded like something that only those three guys together in a room would come up with, IMO. I'm struggling to think of any contemporary pop/rock bands in the 80s who sounded like them.

Good example with TFF also. There are a few longer songs on Seeds of Love, but while also kinda being in the pop-rock genre they also sounded completely different. Seeds is one of my favorite records of the 80s, and IMO still the best by TFF.

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    A bit unrelated but nevertheless.. all the talk of Genesis 80's-90's period where their music "changed" or better yet "adapted" to market forces.. Listening to ZZ Top's Greatest hits album this morning.. talk about a band that changed with the times but to my memory they never got slagged for doing so.. Cult status (at least in Texas) before they had a "hit" La Grange, Tush (both were on our lunch room juke box). Then turned the $'s faucet on full force when MTV promoted the hell out of Legs and a host of other videos.. One band I really wished I had seen in their prime..
    I saw ZZ front row at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse in '91....can't remember the tour? My brother in law went to school there and scored great tickets. Great show seeing Billy up close. Also saw Genesis there during the We Can't Trance Tour in '92...maybe about 6 or 7 rows back...very close (yep he scored tickets as well)! Liked it but I slagged any material played before Trick back then, so my attitude sucked and needed adjusting. Now I like virtually all Genesis except I don't know Calling All Stations at all.
    Last edited by chalkpie; 09-20-2021 at 02:24 PM.

(Possible SPOILER!!!)

From the merch booth in B-ham England

E_v6bRDXEAIm9bK.jpg

I won’t post any spoilers here, but out on the Internet there are already photos of the tour T-shirts and there are set lists printed on them. These pics are coming in through Twitter and Instagram just before tonight‘s Birmingham show is starting.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I think the set list looks very reasonable in terms of music I like.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I think the set list looks very reasonable in terms of music I like.
    Somewhat better than I would have expected. I still wouldn't pay those ticket prices if they had JC Himself sitting in on "Jesus He Knows Me" (dude blows a mean harp, I hear).
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Now that Phil's voice has dropped with age I'm fully expecting them to do the abandoned first verse of CC. Full MK I wonder, or just an excerpt?

A lot of photos and videos appearing from night one. Even what appears to be Phil doing a seated tambourine dance(!)

The visuals certainly look spectacular.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Guess I'd better stay out of this thread now if I want to avoid spoilers for the November show.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I don't care about spoilers, I want to know what I'm going to see. I'm frankly surprised that there a pretty significant nod to the past.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I don't care about spoilers, I want to know what I'm going to see. I'm frankly surprised that there a pretty significant nod to the past.
    I'm with you Mozo! I think 80% of the setlist was predictable... it was just a matter of what would replace Ripples and maybe 2 or 3 other songs.
    Last edited by rich; 09-20-2021 at 06:54 PM.

If people don't care about spoilers, here's the finale from opening night:

**** SPOILERS AHEAD ****
    **** SPOILERS AHEAD ****
    **** SPOILERS AHEAD ****
    **** SPOILERS AHEAD ****
    **** SPOILERS AHEAD ****
    **** SPOILERS AHEAD ****
    **** SPOILERS AHEAD ****

**** SPOILERS AHEAD ****
    **** SPOILERS AHEAD ****
    **** SPOILERS AHEAD ****
    **** SPOILERS AHEAD ****
    **** SPOILERS AHEAD ****
    **** SPOILERS AHEAD ****
    **** SPOILERS AHEAD ****
    **** SPOILERS AHEAD ****
    **** SPOILERS AHEAD ****
    **** SPOILERS AHEAD ****
    **** SPOILERS AHEAD ****
    **** SPOILERS AHEAD ****

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^ Thanks for that Progratron. Phil sounds a fair amount stronger than he did in the documentary. I have checked out several other phone videos on youtube and he seems to be managing quite well. Not the Phil of old but definitely carrying it off.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

It's lovely to hear Phil singing that song again. Even my cold heart was warmed; God bless him.

I've now listened to Mama and Domino on youtube (got it on in the background so not watching the visuals) and Phil is again doing OK on these. Notably less power in his voice compared to the past but he's getting it done. I think Phil might have repeated a verse in the "Glow Of The Night" section but no biggie. I would be happy to be in the audience - especially as this is their last outing (got to be). I don't want to be seen to be damning Genesis with faint praise but I experienced personally what it's like to see an artist well past it when I took my wife to see Whitney Houston on her last Australian tour. What a f**king disaster. Total trainwreck.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

"and slowly tears you apart...."