Thread: The Last Domino tour 2021

Regardless of Phil's health, the why-they-should or why-they-should-not, the impressions of the whole exercise seeming sad to watch, I say to hell with all of that.

Isn't it something special that three nearly life-long friends still care enough about each other to want to go do this tour? That's pretty f---ing cool in my book.

I have always believed that life is all about attitude and perception. This tour makes me happy to see that these three old friends still want to go do this together. So what if Phil has to sit and his son must play the drums. Phil has his own son up there to represent him again as he did on his solo tour. Not some hired gun - his own son backing him ON A GENESIS TOUR. Can you imagine how proud Phil must feel? That's also pretty f---ing cool in my book.

Too many positives to ignore, in my personal opinion. I find it inspiring, actually, at a time when I think we need inspiration the most.

I hope everyone has a wonderful time at the shows!
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Does anyone here think that you will be getting Supper’s Ready?

This is the subject of a discussion with some friends.
    Maybe 3 to 4 minutes of it inserted in the middle of a medley, if you're lucky enough.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    ^^^^

One of the most balanced perspectives so far.

EDIT - I am referring to Timmy's post.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Did I hear correctly that floor seats @ MSG are going for just shy of 900 bucks per?
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Disabilities suck, my friend.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    Isn't it something special that three nearly life-long friends still care enough about each other to want to go do this tour? […]

I have always believed that life is all about attitude and perception. This tour makes me happy to see that these three old friends still want to go do this together. So what if Phil has to sit and his son must play the drums. […] Can you imagine how proud Phil must feel?

Too many positives to ignore, in my personal opinion. I find it inspiring, actually, at a time when I think we need inspiration the most.
    Thank you for posting this. I feel the same way, and I’m glad I’m not the only one.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

This is the subject of a discussion with some friends.
    No sir, I don’t expect to. I’d be (pleasantly) shocked if we did.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Regardless of Phil's health, the why-they-should or why-they-should-not, the impressions of the whole exercise seeming sad to watch, I say to hell with all of that.

Isn't it something special that three nearly life-long friends still care enough about each other to want to go do this tour? That's pretty f---ing cool in my book.

I have always believed that life is all about attitude and perception. This tour makes me happy to see that these three old friends still want to go do this together. So what if Phil has to sit and his son must play the drums. Phil has his own son up there to represent him again as he did on his solo tour. Not some hired gun - his own son backing him ON A GENESIS TOUR. Can you imagine how proud Phil must feel? That's also pretty f---ing cool in my book.

Great post Timmy, I feel the same way.
    And thank you for sharing these thoughts without saying something negative about other member's who feel differently.

I will say, I think some folks have brought up some valid points about ticket prices.
    I'm not sure, but it may be in part the big expense to bring such a big show(stage rigs, crew) to the US for a rather short tour.
    I remember when we went to the reunion tour at the Palace in Auburn Hills, Mi, we passed a LOT of semi's sitting in the parking lot that were part of the tour.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

This is how I view it too. I hope everyone involved has a good time.

An acoustic set in the middle of the show, as in the CAS tour, with all of them seated, would be cool. (And of course, they could play the beginning of Supper's Ready...)

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Did I hear correctly that floor seats @ MSG are going for just shy of 900 bucks per?
    Not the face value for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    No sir, I don’t expect to. I’d be (pleasantly) shocked if we did.
    I'll bet ya a nickel you are going to be pleasantly surprised! An acoustic set seems like a certainty and I remember Tony in an interview saying how important Suppers Ready was to their early history... I'd guess we will get the intro with Tony, Mike and Daryl on acoustic guitars. As someone else mentioned they did that in 98 with Ray. I was hoping for the Cage Medley with the closing section of Supper but that could be tough for Phil to sing... it was in 86! I love Afterglow but that Cage version was just brillant.

Ha ! At least, there is a bit of Dancing with the moonlit knight in the PBS documentary.
    Last edited by unclemeat; 09-17-2021 at 07:11 AM.

I'm betting hard it is more likely they'll get pre-Shapes big 'ole hits like Misunderstanding, Turn it on again, Follow You Follow Me, Afterglow, and probably Carpet Crawlers. Was there mention of Lamb Lies Down on Broadway in the PBS doc or did I dream that?

Unrelated tangent:
    I have been on a heavy rotation of A Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering for the past couple of months. If I had to pick a desert island disc for Genesis it would probably be Wind and Wuthering. Blood on the Rooftops is such a quirky song. There is something about the arrangement, the choice of instrumentation, the melodies, the bass lines in the verses, it is such a great tune. Mike Rutherford does not get enough credit for his bass playing talents.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

I'm betting hard it is more likely they'll get pre-Shapes big 'ole hits like Misunderstanding, Turn it on again, Follow You Follow Me, Afterglow, and probably Carpet Crawlers. Was there mention of Lamb Lies Down on Broadway in the PBS doc or did I dream that?

Unrelated tangent:
    I have been on a heavy rotation of A Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering for the past couple of months. If I had to pick a desert island disc for Genesis it would probably be Wind and Wuthering. Blood on the Rooftops is such a quirky song. There is something about the arrangement, the choice of instrumentation, the melodies, the bass lines in the verses, it is such a great tune. Mike Rutherford does not get enough credit for his bass playing talents.
    That is a great rotation! Agreed on Blood as well one on my absolute favorite Genesis tunes. Have you heard Steve Hackett's Nomad? It's a tune about 10 years old I'd guess. Some of that same Spanish/acoustic playing, just a great tune one of his best since the 70's/early 80's.

Regarding Mike I couldn't agree more. I've always said he might not be much of a lead guitarist but he is a great writer and superb bass player... very underrated as you mention.

Quote Originally Posted by stickman393 View Post
    Has Tony ever not been seated for a Genesis concert?
    I dont' believe so. Certainly every photo or video I've seen of Genesis onstage, he's seated. I think that's why prefers to keep his keyboard rig simple. I remember someone suggesting that he wished Tony had used a bigger keyboard rig. For one thing, I'm thinking, "For what purpose?". This guy seemed to think if he had more synths, he would have been "better", and I'm not sure I understand the logic. It's like people who say "Henry Cow might have been more interesting if they had synths". No, I don't think so.

At any rate, in the case of Tony Banks, I remember when he was interviewed in Keyboard magazine back in 1978 (OK, it was Contemporary Keyboard magazine at the time), anyway, he says "I've got five keyboards onstage now, which is four too many as far as I'm concerned". I think he would have been happy if he could have just played piano all the time, or piano and organ or whatever. But I think he never wanted to have a keyboard rig that went beyond something where he could sit in one position, and at the most, turn his chair to face whichever keyboard he had to play. I dont' think there was ever any danger of him having a setup like Geoff Downes had on those first two Asia tours.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I dont' think there was ever any danger of him having a setup like Geoff Downes had on those first two Asia tours.
    Geoff Downes' rig on the Asia in Asia concert was RIDICULOUS. It looked so goofy for him to run back and forth like that. I'm also not wild about his proclivity to face away from the audience, but whatevs...

I think Tony definitely has the keyboards he needs. Going all out on more keyboards is more about visual flash than actual necessity. I think about Rick Wakeman's set up for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame concert and think... "Dude, you're playing two songs. Maybe give your roadie a break."
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Blood on the Rooftops is such a quirky song. There is something about the arrangement, the choice of instrumentation, the melodies, the bass lines in the verses, it is such a great tune.
    What's funny for me is that PHIL, yes, PHIL OF "SUSSUDIO" FAME, wrote the chorus, and that chorus part is the part that especially gives me goosebumps. (Steve wrote the lyrics, and they do help set the mood, but the chorus is just beautifully somber and emotional, and, yes, did I mention Phil Collins wrote it?)

Phil gets dumped on so much but he contributed so much good stuff... "And So To F" for Brand X is wonderful, for instance.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    In the early days, Ant Phillips, Rutherford & Hackett all performed while seated. Gabriel was the only one standing.
    Rutherford stood sometimes, I think typically when he played bass, judging from the bits of video footage qw have from the Gabriel years. But I remember Peter saying something to the effect that another one of the things that fueled his interest in doing theatrical things onstage was because "The others didn't give a damn, they were all sitting down".

The A Trick Of The Tail tour was the first one where Rutherford stood all night and Hackett stood at all. I remember someone suggesting that they must have felt they had to be more "animated" with the absence of Peter. If you watch the Genesis In Concert film, Mike does seem to be almost overcompensating, as he seems to be jumping around a fair bit. But then when you geto the Wind & Wuthering tour, that seemed to go away, a tleas tjust judging by the Dallas footage, and certainly what we've seen of the 80's and beyond tours, he mostly just stood in one place, even when he didn't have to play bass pedals.
    I always liked the IT one better than the Mama Tour medley when I saw 'em.
    I assume you mean the version of the IT medley that ended with Apocalypse in 9/8 and As Sure As Eggs Is Eggs. According to Wikipedia, they only did that on the first American leg of the tour. The Oceania, Asian, European, and second American legs of the tour, all had the medley ending with Afterglow. This was because Phil apparently found singing Apocalypse In 9/8 too much of a challenge and apparently, it didn't occur to anyone to simply transpose that one down, also (maybe Tony didn't want to relearn the Apocalypse the solo in a different key).

It's a crime that on the Wembley DVD there's no footage of the medley. IIRC, it's because the cameraman was changing out tape reels during that part of the set.
    Did you know that, apparently, the f'ing cameraman felt the need to use the long medley to change reels *all three nights*? Unbelievable...
    Well, there's two things going on there:

1. They didn't have to change reels during the medley. What happened was, there was a point where they were going to have to, due to the limits of technology of the day. So the director went to the band and said, "which song do you want to drop from the video", and since the medley had been on both Three Sides Live and The Mama TOur, they felt that would be a good song to drop. They could have easily changed reels during Throwing It All Away or Invisible Touch itself, but I guess since those were new songs and therefore had never been on a video before, they coudldn't that. They could have rearranged the setlist, play the medley earlier, then Home By The Sea later, and done the reel change during that (or maybe even done the reel change with Home By The Sea earlier in the setlist), but I guess nobody considered the fact that Home By The Sea had been on The Mama Tour as a suitable reason to leave it out.

2. By the time of the Wembley dates happeend, they had already dropped Apocalypse In 9/8 and As Sure As Eggs Is Eggs and reverted to ending the medley with Afterglow, which I think had a lot to do with the decision to not film it. Apparently, when they were putting together the DVD release, they went through all the footage, and every single camera, on every single night, joins the medley, already in progress, somewhere in the middle of Afterglow.

So the only thing you really don't get on video there is the first part of ...In That Quiet Night, the iteration of the medley and the guitar solo sections.

re: Richard Hammond's lack of enthusiasm for I Know What I Like:

They used the thing of him hating Genesis, and that song in particular, several times on Top Gear. I think it was the Middle East one, where they had to journey from an area of Iraq "where there is no war" to Jerusalem, noted prog rock fan Jeremy Clarkson pranked Hamster by planting a CD player in his car, which only Clarkson had control over. So at random moments, you'd hear I Know What I Like playing over Hamster's car stereo, and he was powerless to stop it. I think at one point, they're going through a customs check point, as they're moving from one country to another, and Jermey decides this is the perfect time, as the border guards are searching Hamster's car, to hit the play button.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Feigenbaum
    I would have always assumed anything beyond a short segment during the medley would be unlikely. I could possibly see them maybe doing Lover's Leap, if they were to do a little bit of an acoustic set like they did on the Calling All Stations tour, but that's about it. Beyond that maybe, the Ikhnaton And Itsacon instrumental or the Apocalypse organ solo during a medley is about all they would be likely to play, if even that.

So no, I would never imagine Genesis playing a full Supper's Ready ever again. And the only reason they did it on the 83 tour, I think, was that by then, they knew they were going to be doing the Six Of The Best concert at Milton Keynes after the end of the tour, and they were using it as a "dress rehearsal" for that event. So if Peter hadn't nearly lost his shirt with the WOMAD festival, then the 77 tour might have been the last time we heard a full Supper's Ready.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Geoff Downes' rig on the Asia in Asia concert was RIDICULOUS. It looked so goofy for him to run back and forth like that. I'm also not wild about his proclivity to face away from the audience, but whatevs...
    Well, I guess they could have positioned the keyboards so that he was facing teh audience, but that somehow seems like it would look awkward. But yeha, that keyboard rig on the first couple Asia tours was a bit ridiculous. Besides him running back and forth between the various stacks, look at the stretches he has to do, to reach two keyboards at once, where he's sort of hunched forward to make some the stretches. And he's doing stuff like playing a high part with his left hand and the low part with his right, the reverse of what you'd normally do. And I think he had a Prophet-10 sitting on top of a couple other keyboards, so the keyboard is almost at head level, so he's gotta reach up to a much higher position than normal to play that one. He almost certainly could have done that show with just the Prophet-10, maybe a Minimoog or two, the Fairlight, a Hammond organ, and the Fender Rhodes and/or a baby grand piano (or the Yamaha CP-70, though I'd prefer he'd use the baby grand).

I think Tony definitely has the keyboards he needs. Going all out on more keyboards is more about visual flash than actual necessity. I think about Rick Wakeman's set up for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame concert and think... "Dude, you're playing two songs. Maybe give your roadie a break."
    I remember thinking about that when I saw Yes at Radio City Musich Hall in 2002. He had something like a half dozen keyboards onstage, at least, and I'm thinking, "In this era of MIDI controlled instruments, does he really need that many keyboards?". I kept thinking maybe it was because he had learned how to play the songs with all those keyboards, again doing stuff like sustaining a chord with the right hand, then reaching across with the left hand to play something on a keyboard to his right, or whatever, and I'm thinking "Maybe it would be too much bother to relearn how to play everything with just two or three keyboards". I mean really, if he wanted to, he could have done that entire show with maybe two or three keyboards, at the most.
    What's funny for me is that PHIL, yes, PHIL OF "SUSSUDIO" FAME, wrote the chorus, and that chorus part is the part that especially gives me goosebumps. (Steve wrote the lyrics, and they do help set the mood, but the chorus is just beautifully somber and emotional, and, yes, did I mention Phil Collins wrote it?)

Phil gets dumped on so much but he contributed so much good stuff... "And So To F" for Brand X is wonderful, for instance.
    Phil has always said that it was listening to Roxy And Elsewhere that made him offer the ancillary onstage drummer job to Chester Thompson. Yes, the guy who wrote Sussudio and I Missed Again, at some point, owned at least one Frank Zappa album! That's mindboggling to me. But as you note, he was also in Brand X. And is it any different than Mike going from co-writing the two big epic pieces on Ant's The Geese And The Ghost to writing All I Need Is A Miracle?

Phil says this is it, Tony maybe not so sure.

From https://www.loudersound.com/news/gen...ollins-insists

Phil Collins is adamant that Genesis will cease to exist after December 16, when the English prog legends play the final show of their The Last Domino? tour in Boston.

Interviewed in the November issue of Mojo, Collins, 70, pours cold water on the idea that the trio might extend their current tour into 2022, insisting, “This English and American tour, that will be enough for me.”

Asked by writer Tom Doyle if he’s officially removing the question mark from the title of the tour, Collins replies, “Yes. The question mark was Tony Banks’ idea.”

Phil Collins says he’s officially removing the question mark from Genesis’ The Last Domino? tour, because this is the end

For his part, Banks seems open to the option of prolonging the band’s life.

“I think it depends a little bit how it goes,” the keyboardist tells Mojo. “How Phil stands up to it all. How the audience receive it, and how we all feel about it, really.”

Interviewed on BBC Breakfast News last week, Collins spoke frankly about his deteriorating health, revealing that he can “barely hold a drum stick.”

The Last Domino? tour will feature "a majority" of material from the Peter Gabriel era, stretching as far back as 1973's Selling England By The Pound, as well as material from 1974's The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway and 1976's Wind & Wuthering.

The trio will release a new collection, The Last Domino? as a four LP/double CD set on September 17, featuring rare and unseen images from their archive and images of the tour rehearsals. It can be pre-ordered now.

“It’s a different music world out there,” guitarist Mike Rutherford tells Mojo. “It’s very foreign to me. We caught a rather nice time, I think. It was a blank canvas. No rules, really.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post

The Last Domino? tour will feature "a majority" of material from the Peter Gabriel era, stretching as far back as 1973's Selling England By The Pound, as well as material from 1974's The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway and 1976's Wind & Wuthering.
    Hmm....
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

^ I saw that too(on fb). I'm skeptical to say the least. However, if it was the case, like most of us, I wouldn't complain.
    When you list all the qualities that you despise and you realize you're describing yourself.

I can't wait to hear the backup singers handle the different vocals during the 'Reverend' section of Epping Forest.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I can't wait to hear the backup singers handle the different vocals during the 'Reverend' section of Epping Forest.
    You're telling me!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The chances of playing the majority of Peter Gabriel led Genesis must be a late April Fool's joke.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.