Thread: The Last Domino tour 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    BOLDED for emphasis.

I was speaking to his comment of:

People can hear it, understand it, and never want to hear it again. That's the point.
    Ah ok, now I get what you were saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    or....In the Air Walking through walls.
    As I mentioned in the review I wrote earlier in this thread. After the show was over we were sitting in the bar at the hotel we were staying at and I had a conversation with a guy who was very very upset that they did not do "In The Air Tonight". I explained to the guy that it was a Phil Collins solo song and not Genesis. He was one of these people who have no distinction between the two. For him Collins / Genesis are the same thing.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    So I got a nice surprise yesterday. The area where I was at MSG, way over on Daryl's side, pretty far up. It was sparsley filled, but I was next to a nice girl, and in the row in front of us a nice couple. It turned out the girl next to me went to a lot of shows at the Garden because her mother worked there, and she and her sister had worked there as ushers when they were younger. I think because they knew she was there, an usher came over and fixed us all up with better seats, over on Tony's side but about an entire level lower, so we went from section 222 to section 109. Very cool, the seats were a lot more expensive! And I had company for the show.

Since I hadn't watched any clips from the tour, and I really wasn't up on what health problems Phil had, I wasn't fully prepared to see Phil in his current state, and Mama was downright eerie. I felt like I should have warned the girl next to me. She was about 30 years younger than me, but obviously liked a lot of Genesis hits, so I think she was a bit shocked by Phil. It was weird how high-pitched his voice was, and I could see him trying to force deeper notes about, which worked a little, but not enough. Still, he seemed to be trying and forging on in a more heroic way than Ian Anderson these days.

Technically the show was great! The lights and screens were cool, and used in an innovative way. No surprise there. The song selection was pretty good. To me, the songs from Lamb were a bigger surprise than anything, but unfortunately Phil's voice and energy level just isn't very suited to any of the Gabriel-era songs, and those weren't as powerful as they could have been. Still, the whole show gave people only somewhat familiar with Genesis a good overview of how many great melodies and impressive sounds the band has come up with. My new friend there was astonished they didn't play Jesus He Knows Me. That and I Can't Dance were the ones she was waiting for! Interesting to find out what a Gen-x'er likes from Genesis' later days. Phil's son made the whole evening a bit cheerier, and the other touring musicians were a welcome addition instead of stuck-on, which can sometimes happen.

I guess there was one surprise, which I won't mention, but is a "wild card" from the later days. Actually, the closing number was a surprise, too. Anyway, well-done, Genesis! Thanks for coming back to New York City!
    Primary procreation is accomplished…

Oh, I was also surprised at nothing from Abacab, right? But that might have been a good choice - it allowed them to hit a few other songs they might have left out.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    As I mentioned in the review I wrote earlier in this thread. After the show was over we were sitting in the bar at the hotel we were staying at and I had a conversation with a guy who was very very upset that they did not do "In The Air Tonight". I explained to the guy that it was a Phil Collins solo song and not Genesis. He was one of these people who have no distinction between the two. For him Collins / Genesis are the same thing.
    When I saw Genesis in 1992, I took a party bus from Las Vegas to Los Angeles to see them at Dodger Stadium. (Big rock acts in Vegas were rare back in those days, despite its supposedly being the "entertainment capital.") As a competition, the organizers gave everyone a sheet to guess the opening and closing numbers, and if they were right, they'd win a prize. Based on what I knew about Genesis live shows, I guessed "Mama" as the opener and "Turn It On Again" as the closer. (I was right about "Turn It On Again" but the opener was "Land of Confusion.") I was inwardly laughing to see just how MANY people said "Sussudio" or "Another Day In Paradise."
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    When I saw Genesis in 1992, I took a party bus from Las Vegas to Los Angeles to see them at Dodger Stadium. (Big rock acts in Vegas were rare back in those days, despite its supposedly being the "entertainment capital.") As a competition, the organizers gave everyone a sheet to guess the opening and closing numbers, and if they were right, they'd win a prize. Based on what I knew about Genesis live shows, I guessed "Mama" as the opener and "Turn It On Again" as the closer. (I was right about "Turn It On Again" but the opener was "Land of Confusion.") I was inwardly laughing to see just how MANY people said "Sussudio" or "Another Day In Paradise."
    Shock the Monkey!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    My new friend there was astonished they didn't play Jesus He Knows Me.
    I bought the white tour shirt with the set list in Nick's handwriting on the back, and it shows "Jesus He Knows Me" as being in the set. They didn't play it in Cleveland either, for which I am thankful (Oh, thank you Jesus!) but I haven't researched to see what, if anything, was swapped in.

Oh, I was also surprised at nothing from Abacab, right? But that might have been a good choice - it allowed them to hit a few other songs they might have left out.
    I noticed nothing from Abacab or A Trick of the Tail. I think last time they played ripples if I'm not mistaken. I'm not sure when the last time they played anything from Abacab was. Also, I noticed they haven't played Your Own Special Way in a long time. I guess they don't like playing that. I know many prog fans hate that one but it sort of falls in line with the type of song they did later after Steve left.
    When you list all the qualities that you despise and you realize you're describing yourself.

Yes, they played ripples on the 2007 tour. The ABACAB album doesn't get much 'love'. They last played the song on the 1986/7 IT tour. Dodo on the tour before that. Dodo into ABACAB was always one of my favorite live bits. Fortunately some great live versions to be had, 3SL for one.

It was funny to notice how Collins makes several references to pre-smartphone dating and relationships, usually involving telephones, and having to pick them up, wait by them, etc. If he was still writing songs he'd probably write songs like "Don't Cancel Me" and "Using the Wrong App" or whatnot. "Dad, what does "paperlate" mean?" "Cinema Show" might be retitled "Netflix and Chill."

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    Yes, they played ripples on the 2007 tour. The ABACAB album doesn't get much 'love'. They last played the song on the 1986/7 IT tour. Dodo on the tour before that. Dodo into ABACAB was always one of my favorite live bits. Fortunately some great live versions to be had, 3SL for one.
    I wish they traded Invisible Touch of for Ripples. That was the highlight of the 2007 tour. Still, I'm really happy to have attended The Last Domino Tour. It was great to see the band play one more time. Afterglow or Duchess was the highlight of the show I saw. Very glad I went and I was originally on the fence.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I bought the white tour shirt with the set list in Nick's handwriting on the back, and it shows "Jesus He Knows Me" as being in the set. They didn't play it in Cleveland either, for which I am thankful (Oh, thank you Jesus!) but I haven't researched to see what, if anything, was swapped in.

I missed that shirt somehow... It was probably the rehearsal list. That had a whole page in the program. There were 4 songs they rehearsed that did not get played. Jesus He Knows me, Hold On My Heart, Abacab and Los Endos. Misunderstanding is on the list as well but that has been played twice. I'm surprised Los Endos did not make the cut as that is always a highlight of a Genesis show. That has been played on every tour since Trick except I Can't Dance and Calling All Stations.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    That was the highlight of the 2007 tour. Still, I'm really happy to have attended The Last Domino Tour. It was great to see the band play one more time. Afterglow or Duchess was the highlight of the show I saw. Very glad I went and I was originally on the fence.
    Exactly my feelings! I wouldn't have gone if I hadn't been reading this thread.

I think there was a pretty big uptick in the Genesis fan base after Phil became a worldwide solo act name.
    I actually heard a couple of DJ's talking(when I lived in Detroit) where Genesis was referred to as Phil's band.
    That's actually typical of the US. In Europe, Genesis were known though not exactly big when Phil became a household name so there was less of that "Phil's band" thing.
    I believe that also explains why they were unable to sell tickets for the Calling All Stations tour in the US: people there couldn't take Genesis without Phil, while Europeans knew the band was not all about Phil.

I suspect if the name Phil Collins was included in the band name, Steve would be playing places like MSG.
    I think there was a pretty big uptick in the Genesis fan base after Phil became a worldwide solo act name.
    I actually heard a couple of DJ's talking(when I lived in Detroit) where Genesis was referred to as Phil's band.
    Oddly enough, when I heard about the cancellation of their Glasgow concert, the radio newsreader referred to a statement by "the band's drummer, Phil Collins".

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Oddly enough, when I heard about the cancellation of their Glasgow concert, the radio newsreader referred to a statement by "the band's drummer, Phil Collins".
    Well, they aren't wrong.

PE Member since 7/14/2001 rushfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The list of songs on this shirt was the latest compilation released to promote the tour https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_La...%3F_–_The_Hits

Quote Originally Posted by rushfan View Post
    The list of songs on this shirt was the latest compilation released to promote the tour https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_La...%3F_–_The_Hits
    Thank you very much for that info.

In spite of not needing another Genesis compilation, I almost picked up the CD when I saw it in my local Barnes & Noble a few days ago.

Instead, in a rare moment of restraint, I left it there. Maybe someone with a curiosity about Genesis will buy it and discover this great band as a result. I can dream at least.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Exactly my feelings! I wouldn't have gone if I hadn't been reading this thread.
    I'm really glad you got to attend, and that you enjoyed the show, Jed. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about it too. It sounded like a pretty nice time (and being moved to a better section, how awesome is that?).

My dad was hoping they'd play "Abacab", because he and I played a cover of it in a band together and he wanted to compare their version with ours. I wasn't expecting "Abacab", since they really haven't played that one in such a long time, but it's interesting to know that it was one of the songs rehearsed for this tour! Still, with so much material in the back catalog it's impossible to play enough songs to please everyone. I would have loved to see them do "Los Endos", but c'est la vie. I was still on cloud nine when they busted out the "Cinema Show" instrumental and "Firth of Fifth".

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post

My dad was hoping they'd play "Abacab", because he and I played a cover of it in a band together and he wanted to compare their version with ours. I wasn't expecting "Abacab", since they really haven't played that one in such a long time, but it's interesting to know that it was one of the songs rehearsed for this tour! Still, with so much material in the back catalog it's impossible to play enough songs to please everyone. I would have loved to see them do "Los Endos", but c'est la vie. I was still on cloud nine when they busted out the "Cinema Show" instrumental and "Firth of Fifth".
    I can understand the choice to not include Abacab, it's a pretty quirky song that I think only hardcore Genesis fans and musicians enjoy. I think Tony's ARP Quadrasynth keyboard playing and textures is worth it tho.
    Someone else mentioned they missed Ripples, but it's a pretty slow song and I noticed at the 2007 show, folks were getting restless.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

I can understand the choice to not include Abacab, it's a pretty quirky song that I think only hardcore Genesis fans and musicians enjoy. I think Tony's ARP Quadrasynth keyboard playing and textures is worth it tho.
    Someone else mentioned they missed Ripples, but it's a pretty slow song and I noticed at the 2007 show, folks were getting restless.
    While I agree that "Abacab" is a quirky song, I don't think it's only appreciated by hardcore fans/musicians. It was one of their hits in the 80s, after all. But I also can understand why they didn't include it on this tour.

It would've been great to get "Ripples" for this tour also, although with the inclusion of both "Duchess" and "Afterglow" it's hard for me to complain about that. They just had too many great songs to be able to feasibly play all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    While I agree that "Abacab" is a quirky song, I don't think it's only appreciated by hardcore fans/musicians. It was one of their hits in the 80s, after all. But I also can understand why they didn't include it on this tour.

It would've been great to get "Ripples" for this tour also, although with the inclusion of both "Duchess" and "Afterglow" it's hard for me to complain about that. They just had too many great songs to be able to feasibly play all of them.
    I think the greatest exclusion in the setlist is Who Dunnit!! a total travesty!
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.comYouTube: https://youtu.be/F34jl6fQVmA

My new friend there was astonished they didn't play Jesus He Knows Me.
    And you replied with, "And I can't believe they didn't play Can Utility and the Coastliners!"
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I think the greatest exclusion in the setlist is Who Dunnit!! a total travesty!
    But we all know who did it!