Page 17 of 74 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last Domino tour 2021

The small acoustic set seems almost obvious, since it would give them the opportunity to be all seated with Phil.
    In the 98 tour, it also gave them the opportunity to do the intro for two old songs (Dancing With The Moonlit Knight and Supper's Ready) without having to play the whole thing. An "easy" nod to fans of the Gabriel era.

Many of the Phil era fans only know of Peter's music as a solo artist,

I was recently fitted for musicians earplugs(which aren't cheap btw)and I mentioned to the audiologist that I can test them out when I see Genesis. She immediately said how they are one of her favorite bands. I then asked her what her favorite album by them is and she said "A trick of the tail." I told her that was my favorite as well. I then asked her what she thought of the Peter Gabriel era and she mentioned two of his solo songs (I think "sledgehammer" and "solesbury hill"). She didn't seem to be aware that he was even in the band let alone know the albums with him as lead singer. That's fairly typical I would think. People think they are really big fans but in reality they are just excited by the stuff they do know. She also said she never saw them live (and she's probably at least 55) so there's that.

I personally would love to hear different songs in the setlist, but you know that ain't gonna happen. But hopefully some type of 20 min medley with samples of more obscure stuff may find it's way into the setlist.

Yes, even though they will more than likely concentrate on post 70's material I think it's safe to assume they will do at least some of the vintage stuff even if it's in the form of a medley. Even in 2007 they did "ripples" if I'm not mistaken. Also, I believe "carpet crawlers" was the encore. They know they have a good number of fans who appreciate their entire history so I think they will mix it up at least a little bit this time around as well.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 05-18-2021 at 05:00 PM.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post

I was recently fitted for musicians earplugs(which aren't cheap btw)and I mentioned to the audiologist that I can test them out when I see Genesis. She immediately said how they are one of her favorite bands. I then asked her what her favorite album by them is and she said "A trick of the tail." I told her that was my favorite as well. I then asked her what she thought of the Peter Gabriel era and she mentioned two of his solo songs (I think "sledgehammer" and "solesbury hill"). She didn't seem to be aware that he was even in the band let alone know the albums with him as lead singer. That's fairly typical I would think. People think they are really big fans but in reality they are just excited by the stuff they do know. She also said she never saw them live (and she's probably at least 55) so there's that.

I personally would love to hear different songs in the setlist, but you know that ain't gonna happen. But hopefully some type of 20 min medley with samples of more obscure stuff may find it's way into the setlist.

Yes, even though they will more than likely concentrate on post 70's material I think it's safe to assume they will do at least some of the vintage stuff even if it's in the form of a medley. Even in 2007 they did "ripples" if I'm not mistaken. Also, I believe "carpet crawlers" was the encore. They know they have a good number of fans who appreciate their entire history so I think they will mix it up at least a little bit this time around as well.
    Genesis also did I Know What I Like and Los Endos and a medley including Duke's End.`
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I was recently fitted for musicians earplugs(which aren't cheap btw)
    Side note: you are a very wise man!! I am shocked when I realize so many music fans do not take care of their ears. Once you get tinnitus, it only gets worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Side note: you are a very wise man!! I am shocked when I realize so many music fans do not take care of their ears. Once you get tinnitus, it only gets worse.
    So true. The electronic crickets are chirping in rhythm as I write this.

[I]

I was recently fitted for musicians earplugs(which aren't cheap btw)
    Good call. At the suggestion of a drummer friend of mine, I tried to do that, but I tend to get a lot of wax build up in my ears, so despite me getting them flushed, both times I tried to have them take a mold for the fitting, they said that they couldn't get a proper mold taken, because of the wax, ha.

Neil

+1

Been using custom plugs since the early 90's and they're wonderful, essential companions for damned near every show I see.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, they did a small acoustic set for 2 or 3 songs on the 98 tour with Ray Wilson. So I wouldn't totally rule that out.
    With even the 2007 tour having a bunch of instrumental time, I’m assuming there are going to be a nice amount of changes in the set list.

They aren't cheap, but well worth it. My wife started wearing them (she's a band director by trade and we both worked with a college band as a side gig for decades) in the early 90s and I got on board around 2000 - mostly just for going to shows. Well worth the expense. One recommendation I have is to get a couple different filters. I like to have a less strong one around for venues that aren't quite as loud, or are outdoors, so I don't just decide to take them out. Having some that are too strong makes it hard sometimes to not just cave and go without when you probably still should have them in.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I agree with this as well.
    After Phil's success as a solo artist, he brought a lot of fans to Genesis who knew him from his solo work. I honestly read some folks refer to Genesis as Phil's band.
    I know of some Genesis fans who wouldn't go to a Genesis show if you gave them a ticket, because they believe the real Genesis ended when Peter left the band.
    Many of the Phil era fans only know of Peter's music as a solo artist, so we are left with those of us who love both the PG and Phil era Genesis, and those who came on board with Phil and want to hear songs like Invisible Touch.

Even in the mid 80's I think there was a clear demarcation though. Fans of No Jacket Required who attended the Wembley concerts in 87 would, I expect, find the experience a lot more "rock" and a lot more "weird" than what they may have expected!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    With even the 2007 tour having a bunch of instrumental time, I’m assuming there are going to be a nice amount of changes in the set list.
    I hope you're right, but I'll be surprised if they do.

Genesis were never a band who changed their setlist much from one tour to the next.
    Their setlist was always quite predictable. If you look at all the tours from the Phil era, there was a gradual incorporation of new songs but the old songs that remained tended to be the same ones.

There were very few real surprises over the years, and very few occasions where they would unexpectedly pull out an older song. Ripples in 1978 and Keep in Dark in 1983 are rare examples of songs that appeared on a tour without having been played before, even on the tour for their respective albums.

Relatively speaking, the 2007 tour is one where they pulled out more stuff that they hadn't played in a while (In The Cage medley into Afterglow, Ripples, Carpet Crawlers), but even then, they played it pretty safe I think.

I don't expect it to be any different this time. We should consider ourselves lucky if we get Many Too Many which Tony had already tried to get played in 2007 and which is rumoured to have been rehearsed this year.
    Last edited by LeFrog; 05-19-2021 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeFrog View Post
    Genesis were never a band who changed their setlist much from one tour to the next.
    Their setlist was always quite predictable. If you look at all the tours from the Phil era, there was a gradual incorporation of new songs but the old songs that remained tended to be the same ones.

There were very few real surprises over the years, and very few occasions where they would unexpectedly pull out an older song. Ripples in 1978 and Keep in Dark in 1983 are rare examples of songs that appeared on a tour without having been played before, even on the tour for their respective albums.

Relatively speaking, the 2007 tour is one where they pulled out more stuff that they hadn't played in a while (In The Cage medley into Afterglow, Ripples, Carpet Crawlers), but even then, they played it pretty safe I think.

I don't expect it to be any different this time. We should consider ourselves lucky if we get Many Too Many which Tony had already tried to get played in 2007 and which is rumoured to have been rehearsed this year.

Many To Many works for me. My main reason for the big (for them) shift in songs is that it will be easier for Phil to sing and he doesn't have to just sit there for a big portion of the concert. Then again, if the light show is interesting enough, he may want the breaks. Guess we'll all just have to wait and see.

I believe it. I'm sure I'll need a hearing aid at some point but for now both ears were tested at within the normal range of hearing. My tinnitis "fortunately" is only in the left ear. I was wearing earplugs for both ears at concerts and shows but you can't enjoy the show as much with regular earplugs so musicians earplugs make it so only the harmful sounds don't get through. I'm not really sure of the science behind it and how they do that but I'm willing to take the chance(although I'm sure there's nothing to worry about). When they plugged my ear up so they could mold it I could barely hear anything so I'm guessing the blocking out part is better than regular earplugs. If and when I become a real musician (I own a keyboard and electric guitar but I'm lazy) they will come in handy for that as well as concerts(which I probably won't over do anyway).

This trio version of Genesis should now have only played a setlist of the Phil Collins era songs, jeez Peter Gabriel left the band 47 years ago :-(
    It's about time to move on to the chapter that made them a successful international pop act and stop playing old songs from a distant past that although are very well played, belong to a period that is a distant memory.

The only valid reason to play old 70-74 songs is for the younger generation of fans who have not had the chance to ever seen these performed live, to pay tribute to their roots and play them for one last time.
    I may be older but, I saw live: Led Zeppelin, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Fish, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Marillion, IQ, UK, Saga, Rush, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Triumph, Magma, Goblin, Porcupine Tree, The Musical Box, Uriah Heep, Dio, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Queen with Freddie Mercury, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood, Steely Dan, Dream theater, Joe Satriani, you get the idea..

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    This trio version of Genesis should now have only played a setlist of the Phil Collins era songs, jeez Peter Gabriel left the band 47 years ago :-(
    It's about time to move on to the chapter that made them a successful international pop act and stop playing old songs from a distant past that although are very well played, belong to a period that is a distant memory.

The only valid reason to play old 70-74 songs is for the younger generation of fans who have not had the chance to ever seen these performed live, to pay tribute to their roots and play them for one last time.
    Nah.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post

I kind of agree but not entirely. When you say "younger generation of fans" I'm thinking those who are maybe 25 years old or younger. But really anyone 55 and younger, which covers a wide age range, are too young to have seen the band during the PG era and most would probably miss the SH era too.

While I don't think they should concentrate on the early stuff I do think if they want to provide an accurate account of their entire history they should include at least a few songs from the early days. Why would they only do stuff from the trio era when there are clearly fans who like all eras not to mention those who prefer the prog era. There's probably more Genesis fans who know and like (no pun intended) the early version of the band than you might think.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    IMO, the reason for playing the 70’s era songs, is that those songs are classical masterpieces in music and timeless. The 80’s and 90’s era music has been eclipsed by decades of pop, including the 80’s.
    They are timeless to you. To most of the general public, all they are is ‘the stuff they did before they did the stuff that they are known for’.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    They are timeless to you. To most of the general public, all they are is ‘the stuff they did before they did the stuff that they are known for’.
    Very true.

Here are songs from 2007 they band did before the stuff they are known for:

I Know What I Like
    Carpet Crawers
    Ripples
    Los Endos
    Duke's End

These are all classic tunes.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post

I Know What I Like
    Carpet Crawers
    Ripples
    Los Endos
    Duke's End

Great songs, all of them -- but not what I would call "timeless". They are very much of their time IMO, and that's part of why I love them.

This, x 10000.

The 70s prog fans often overestimate their share of the audience. I've read some incredible comments on another forum about this tour. I'm astonished at how many people say things like "They could bring Hackett out to do some mid-70s stuff" - as though he's a tool at their disposal that can be 'brought out' to play Entangled to a mostly baffled crowd. Or "Ask Gabriel to do a small selection of shows" - like he's waiting by the phone for the call. I'm sure he'd be thrilled at his age to do all that work and rehearsal, resuming a professional relationship with Tony Banks (that hasn't existed in 45+ years) so that he could squeeze into a red dress and sing ancient songs for 'a small selection of shows'.

I'm quite sure this group of seventy-somethings are looking to perform material they feel they can deliver comfortably and enjoyably. I don't imagine they'd get much enjoyment out of resurrecting Watcher Of The Skies. It's 'a bit busy'.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Unfortunately, I have to agree with Steve. It's a nice idea to think that a lot of people who bought Abacab or Genesis or Invisible Touch went back and explored the back catalog and fell in love with it. Some of us did, including myself, but the truth, the vast majority of the people who became Genesis fans in the 80's didn't. And that happens with every band. There's Rolling Stones fans who own only Hot Rocks, Bowie fans who own only ChangesOneBowie, Queen fans who have just the greatest hits record, etc.
    That's the way a lot of people are, they have no desire to whether or not there's any good stuff on the albums, because as far as they're concenred, the stuff they saw on MTV or heard on the radio was all that matter(ed/s).
    There's probably more Genesis fans who know and like (no pun intended) the early version of the band than you might think.
    Judging from the reported record sales of the early 70's album, I think there might be fewer than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post

I Know What I Like
    Carpet Crawers
    Ripples
    Los Endos
    Duke's End

That's fair enough, although a lot of the comments I've read online are from fans who wouldn't be satisfied with a hybrid show where only that amount of older material was played. And a couple of those are old warhorses that have been played many times over the years by the latter-day lineup, so I think a lot of the 'soccer mom' crowd (for lack of a better term) might be a bit more familiar. Carpet Crawlers, too, is one that would appeal to a lot of people who may have never heard it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    That's fair enough, although a lot of the comments I've read online are from fans who wouldn't be satisfied with a hybrid show where only that amount of older material was played. And a couple of those are old warhorses that have been played many times over the years by the latter-day lineup, so I think a lot of the 'soccer mom' crowd (for lack of a better term) might be a bit more familiar. Carpet Crawlers, too, is one that would appeal to a lot of people who may have never heard it.
    Carpet Crawlers and I Know What I like are more accessible songs but I'd be happy to hear them. Ripples and Los Endos are tour de force proggressive rock song, that I'D REALLY like to hear again. Montreal has a special relationship with Genesis. I watched the 2007 remaster interviews and they pay homage to Montreal. i'm holdiing out a faint hope they'll play some of this type of older material. I have to be realistic and take what I get.